Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Hilliard - ILB or OLB?

ab1993's picture
July 2, 2014 at 10:33pm
26 Comments

He can obviously play anywhere, but last I heard was we were recruiting him as an ILB. So it'll either be him OR Raekwon starting? This is insane depth, but why not play Hilliard at OLB and have them on the field at the same time?

osu407's picture

Last I heard we were recruiting him as an outside linebacker.  Particularly because I think Connor is definitely an inside linebacker.

But I've been wrong before...

+2 HS
JDunc686's picture

I'm still too excited to start thinking analytically about these things

+6 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

I'd guess Kwon, Booker, and Hilliard will be the starting LBs in a year or two, but you never know.

+2 HS
Jake321's picture

Urban is pretty high on Kyle Berger don't for get about him!

danbrown7665's picture

I have seen Berger and Hilliard play in person. Personally, I thought Berger was more impressive. This was before he blew up too. I said to myself " wow this kid is special" . Once again that's before Berger blew up and committed to OSU.

"limitations, like fears are often just illusions"
-Michael Jordan, the greatest athlete of all time

Squirrel Master's picture

With kwon owning the middle for the foreseeable future, and Conner at backup, I assume Hilliard will own the outside.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

HeuermanTheFireman's picture

I might be wrong but kwon seems like a Middle linebacker. I believe he isn't as rangy as some of the other linebackers.

The person responsible for toes clearly wanted you to stub them.

ab1993's picture

No doubt about him being a ILB

Soggy_McMuffin's picture

All I know is these Classes are really starting to add up!!!

Gooz-fra-bah...

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

It's great to be a part of Buckeye Nation

BierStube's picture

ILB or OLB .. it is great that we even have to worry about this problem.

"No matter where you go, there you are." B. Banzai

+1 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

We only start one inside LB at a time so for Hiiliard to end up in the middle he would have to pass up Kwon somehow. Barring injury I dont see that happening. One thing is for sure and that is we are loaded to the gills now with LB's. We should have a very very strong coverage unit.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+2 HS
cinserious's picture

I was thinking that too. Hilliard could compete for strongside OR weakside. Should excell at either or all three.

Life's daily struggle is choosing between saying F--ck-it, or soldiering on with your responsibilities.  

+1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Linebackers go from lacking depth and experience to "how in the world are they going to get all this talent on the field?" in a matter of months.

Go Buckeyes.

+6 HS
chirobuck's picture

haha, so true....that's what a couple of grand slam recruiting classes will do for you

^ best post ever ^

+1 HS
305Buck's picture

Hilliard mentioned that Meyer told him he will start off at Will linebacker, which is the new Sam.

+4 HS
Jbuckham94's picture

I got confused with the change in the will/sam designation. Which one is the walkout linebacker now? Sam?

Class of 2016. Go Bucks!

danbrown7665's picture

He reminds of Ahmad Brooks of the 49ers game.

"limitations, like fears are often just illusions"
-Michael Jordan, the greatest athlete of all time

+1 HS
Jordan Wagner's picture

The staff recruited Hilliard as a Will LB. 

MacG91's picture

Last time we had two ILB of this caliber were Schlegal and James Laurinaitis. 

Mac..yeah

cinserious's picture

Or Etienne Sabino and Andrew Sweat. If you compare them as hotshot recruits before actually playing a down as a collegian.

Life's daily struggle is choosing between saying F--ck-it, or soldiering on with your responsibilities.  

OnlyOne's picture

Where would Baker play?  RB?

cinserious's picture

Baker will be a LB. LJ Scott will be a RB.

HeuermanTheFireman's picture

Baker will be a LB. I was trying to find a reason to hate him at running back though and I honestly can't do it. He is just great athlete and a baller all around. I look forward to seeing him commit. 

The person responsible for toes clearly wanted you to stub them.

OSU069's picture

Imagine our Starters in a year or two being Booker, Raekwon, and Hilliard. Scary for opposing offenses.

chirobuck's picture

we are gonna have several guys who could play inside or out between Hilliard Booker and Conner...that kind of versatility is invaluable

^ best post ever ^