Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

What if Van Jefferson commits elsewhere?

BuckeyeJ's picture
June 30, 2014 at 9:49pm
44 Comments

What if he commits to someone other than the good guys. To be honest I have not felt he would be a buckeye for a while now, and hope I'm wrong. So who would we want? 

MacG91's picture

Christian. Kirk. 

Mac..yeah

+13 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

If Kirk commits to us and has a stellar career - he could potentially become Captain Kirk during the tail end of his Buckeye experience - just saying............

allinosu's picture

only if he says he wants beamed up first.

Buckeye Elite's picture

Peete is who I want.

"Clear eyes, Full heart, Can't lose!"
                                  - Friday Night Lights

+5 HS
InTressITrust's picture

In the words of Swizz Beatz and Jay-Z "On to the next one"

"I'm not going to lie. We're anxious to be a part of a matchup like that. It's two states that love the game of football." -Jim Tressel

+3 HS
Mortc15's picture

Maybe it's just me, but I think a tall receiver is something that OSU hasn't had yet in Meyer's 2 years. Getting one that really produces to take the top off the defense would be interesting. 

Buck-I4Life

+1 HS
Posterchild's picture

We have had guys in the 6'2' range before. But not 6'4" - 6'5", which is why I am excited to see how we use Jeff Greene in the offense.

BlockO's picture

He would just commit elsewhere....

"faith seeking understanding” (fides quaerens intellectum)

+7 HS
Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

how dare you imply that life would move on

Read my entire screen name....

+3 HS
osu407's picture

It would be unfortunate but as a team we should be ok because of the past two years of rectuiting.  If a few of them don't develop to be solid at worst than we have bigger problems than recruiting, but I find that very, very unlikely.  Jefferson will probably be very good for who ever he plays for, but so will Peete and Stump (I think Kirk is more of an H-back and that's a different enough position that I'm not including it).

BuckeyeJ's picture

I def want Kirk, with Hines a close second! But what about Peete or Stump?

teddyballgame's picture

I think his father has concerns about how our receivers are used.  Van would already be a buckeye if his parents didn't want him to be patient and take some more visits before deciding.  Just have to get him back on campus and go from there...

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

I know that the old adage is that you take DLinemen and OLinemen in every single class. i wonder if that is true of WR too? They have soe depth, and while Kirk is a good player (and probably not a Buckeye), what they need is exactly what Jefferson is - a big receiver who runs great routes, and can pick up 3rd down conversions to take the pressure off of the run game.

Peete is a good player, and may replace what Jefferson offers, but not if his 247 ratings are to be believed.Maybe Stump can replace that skill set? But OSU would have to offer soon to get him IMO. 

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

BassDropper's picture

"What if?" it sounds more like a "when" right now....unless he visits again, then it's anybody's game. I like Peete, but honestly, besides Kirk, Jefferson and Peete, I haven't paid much attention to the WR position. I remember hearing that Alex Stump, who is a KY commit could still be a possibility. I'm not so sure that WR is a dire need this class. We have recruited exceptionally well these past couple of classes. 

DIRECTIONER

+4 HS
DMcDougal24's picture

Hopefully Jefferson decides before FNL. Peete could come with Aquinas teammates and OSU would be more likely to push if Van is out of the picture. Peete is 6-5 and someone I'd like in this class

NatiBuck's picture

I would rather have Peete to be honest. I hear that dude is every bit of 6'6. Between Peete, Kirk, and Jefferson I think we get 1 of the 3 hopefully 2... But we could definitely strike out on all 3.

jamesrbrown322's picture

IMO, Peete's the best bet.

+1 HS
BassDropper's picture

When was the last time Peete visited ;-)

Seriously, I haven't heard anything about Peete being on campus in the last 6 months...Im honestly not sure if he has ever visited. 

We need those big bodied WR's...doesnt seem like we have any besides Jeff Green. Peete stands at almost 6'6.

DIRECTIONER

+3 HS
OSU069's picture

Peete has not really started his recruiting process that much. He did say a few days ago that Miami and OSU were his top 2. 

BassDropper's picture

Also doesn't hurt that he has the greatest Buckeye WR of all time as his position coach.

DIRECTIONER

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Ray Small is his coach?

+11 HS
MeyerMattaScarletHeroes's picture

"Don't forget about me!"

- Jeff Greene

+7 HS
OSU069's picture

I'll take Kirk and Peete if Jefferson goes elsewhere. 

+1 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Urban has  targeted that big tall #1 type WR ever since he stepped on campus and hasnt landed one yet. He is very selective with the tall ones and it just hasnt worked out yet. Hopefully we land one this year.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

305Buck's picture

I don't believe Jefferson goes elsewhere if he makes that visit on July 16th. But if he does, I could see the staff pushing for Peete, or going after Stump. There's also still ATH Brian Cole out there, #1 prospect in Michigan who visited Ohio State back in March. He is currently planning another visit to Ohio State and we are recruiting him as a WR. Kid is definitely the real deal.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/899526/highlights/83128379

+1 HS
Calgarybuck's picture

I'm a big Brian Cole fan, so far it looks like he's going to stay close to home and with the dumpster fire at Michigan and Michigan's states offense staying vanilla we could be a player in his recruitment.

305Buck's picture

It will be tough to pull him away from MSU. Dad is a big MSU fan, and they're selling him on being a 1st round corner, like Dennard and possibly Waynes. If Ohio State can convince him that he's better suited on offense than on defense, then I believe we can pull it off. Narduzzi leaving for a head coaching job also would help our chances.

Woodshed's picture

Also McNeal out of texas was told that he is being recruited as a receiver by the OSU staff.

BuckeyeJ's picture

On Kirk I also feel he is more of a H back. I like Hines also for that posostion 

+1 HS
305Buck's picture

Kirk is a slot receiver here and Hines is a wingback. To be a H-Back, you have to be able to block LBs and sometimes defensive linemen who bust through the offensive line. You also have to be able to catch and run from time to time. Someone like Noah Brown would be the perfect H-Back. Maybe even Terry McLaurin if he gets big enough, but Kirk and Hines are not blocking any LBs.

Groveport_Buckeye's picture

I don't see it as that big of a deal. I like Justin Layne(16) and Ruben Flowers(16) better than him anyway. Kirk is the guy we need to land for this class.

Jeremypreemo81's picture

oh that answer is simple..............next man up!

+1 HS
Calgarybuck's picture

Look you either play for Ohio State or lose to Ohio State, your choice 

+8 HS
305Buck's picture

http://247sports.com/Board/30/Contents/Miami-earns-WRU-nod-29416825

Hope Van Jefferson's dad sees this list. Ohio State produces the 3rd most WR talent of any team in college.

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

With all due respect to Meyer, the only guys on that list that played for him are Percy Harvin, whose game is not at all like Jefferson's, and Riley Cooper. I think that his dad's reservations are spot on in this case. I'd love to see him as a Buckeye, as they desperately need a big target who can pick up first downs. Honestly, I think that Shawn's concerns are justified. However, it's not as if Butch Jones's systems have ever produced a ton of NFL players either, so who knows?.

I think that the longer this drags out, the more unlikely it is that he's a Buckeye. It looks like maybe Peete will be the only WR in this class. I have asked before, but is it possible that Meyer and Co. would settle for going 0-for WRs in this class, given the depth, youth, and talent currently on the roster, and focus on 2016? Or is it possible that the need for WR is why OSU is getting back into the thick of the Torrance Gibson discussion...

sox33osu's picture

To be fair, which NCAA coach currently has a strong resume for producing receivers? Hate to say it, but you should probably include Hernandez. He is obviously a horrible person but when he was in, he was a fantastic pass-catcher. 

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

You're right on with Hernandez.

Re: production of WRs, I am just trying to say that Shawn has a point, as Meyer's systems have never really "featured" the types of receiver skills that the NFL covets. Of course, the irony is, there is no indication that Butch's systems have either.

sox33osu's picture

You are right there, it does seem somewhat more suited to a college-game. That said, it's amazing how there's a stigma that pro-style offenses produce the best pro-style talent, yet schools like Oklahoma and USC haven't really done anything in regards to producing any decent receivers. The ultimate irony? Arguably the two best WRs in the NFL come from the option running/no passing offense at Georgia Tech.

+2 HS
305Buck's picture

Visit has been confirmed per Bill Kurelic. Van Jefferson will visit Ohio State with mom and dad on the 16th which will be his last visit before deciding on his school of choice, which will most likely be on the 26th (Van Jefferson's birthday).

+1 HS
oregonianbuckeye's picture

There are rumors that he is planning a visit to UGA after tOSU and before his decision. Obviously we should be hoping Urbs can convince him not to take that trip.

Buck Wild's picture

Awesome sauce!

"I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying."
Woody Hayes 1913 - 1987

jamesrbrown322's picture

Hope everything went well. This offense is starved for a big receiver who can go across the middle, pick up first downs, and be a legit red zone threat. I was hoping that would be Chris Fields, but it never really materialized. Apparently Van is an exceptional route runner with great hands, and those are two traits that I love seeing in a wideout (Rice, Carter, etc.) as opposed to just out and out speed (Heyward-Bay). Of course, I think given the choice, we'd like to have it all.

I think Jefferson could be stud in college, and every bit as good as his father if he finds the right fit. I certainly hope that fit is in Columbus, and then maybe Cleveland...

+1 HS
Crimson's picture

and then maybe Cleveland..

I know this is an Ohio forum, but please stop wishing bad things on our recruits. (sarcasm font?)

+1 HS