Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Mike Vrabel who???

BuckNutzGasMan's picture
June 30, 2014 at 7:25pm
29 Comments

I'm kidding really.  

But I was so worried when he left that recruiting would suffer.   Now it looks like it has the potential to be one of the better defensive recruiting classes ever.  Major props to Larry Johnson and his approach with these kids. What a hire by UFM.  Go Bucks.

Groveport Heisman's picture

He hasnt even been able to build those solid relationships he  is famous for with the younger classes yet. Shit is going to get ridiculous on the Dline in the coming future if we can keep him around.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+3 HS
osu07asu10's picture

I'll tread lightly on this one. I think Birm mentioned in the Confessional that Vrabel's impact has been larger than what we believe. 

I've continued to wonder what the vague statement really means because like you I have been pretty impressed with the crootin' of LJsr and staff.

Still, maybe it is with a younger class or a big recruit we'll miss on.  Maybe sometime in the future Birm will expand on it but in the mean time I am happy that Coach Johnson has come in and gelled with staff, players, and program.

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+5 HS
Jbuckham94's picture

I tried your link but it didn't seem to work for me. I also tried searching "Confessional" on the site and nothing showed up. Could you extrapolate on what Birm said?

Class of 2016. Go Bucks!

+1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Sorry bout that, give it a shot now...

Birm confessed:

I believe losing Mike Vrabel has had a much more negative effect on recruiting than anyone could have imagined.

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+1 HS
MeyerMattaScarletHeroes's picture

I think Chris Ash is going to really turn that secondary around this season.

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

If memory serves correctly and that's a big IF - there were some strong haters in here saying that both Ash and LJ were very poor hires. Where are they now? Hopefully they have grown and realized UFM knows what he is doing.

brandonbauer87's picture

I'm not one of those guys, but I don't think Ash and Johnson have proven anything. Recruiting is important, don't get me wrong, but coaches coach. I think Ash especially will shine this fall, I just think it's a little early to count the chickens. 

+2 HS
lljjgg's picture

I am not one of those haters. I will say, I loved the LJ hire from day one -- fantastic, fantastic coach who I think is capable of establishing a strong, almost parental bond with a lot of players.

I'm undecided on Ash. TBH, I will continue to be undecided until after he has a season or two under his belt and we see how OSU's pass defense either improves or stays where it's at (though I think it'd be hard to get any worse than it was last year). I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

This year I'm trying to remain more objective in general, though. I was all aboard the hype train last year (might as well have been the engineer), and was hugely disappointed by the MSU loss, along with the dispirited performance against Clemson (though I can understand to some degree, they were one game away from playing for a national title before the MSU loss). This year, I'm going to try to neither buy in, nor be pessimistic. Instead I plan to take the same approach I bet Samuel L. Jackson would take if he were an OSU fan, cool but confident.

+6 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Thank you both for your comments and honesty - I think if we get some of these studs this week and wrap JULY with 5*'s than yes - LJ is worth his weight in GOLD. ASH will have so more more to work with over the next few years than he did in ARK.

+1 HS
Eph97's picture

I knew LJ sr. was a grand slam hire, with the added bonus of weakening PSU recruiting greatly.

As for Ash, I'm optimistically cautious. I figure anyone who put out a set of instructional DVD's must know what he is talking about and be very good at it.

+1 HS
jonping67's picture

I follow OSU football daily and it boarders on a sickness. I never heard one article or post state that LJ Jr. or Chris Ash was a poor hire. They both have solid credential and it was an upgrade in both position hires.

I read about the "Lets see how our defensive backs do this year" and mark this post.....Our pass defensive its going to be one of the best in the country and our overall defense will be top 5.

I expect us to score less, 41 a game, but I think our "D" only gives up less than 16. 

BierStube's picture

I don't really care who's name is who's ... as long as we get quality recruits and win .. I am good. Viva Larry Johnson!

"No matter where you go, there you are." B. Banzai

Eph97's picture

From the E$PIN paywall re: Jashon Cornell:

“Ohio State has done the best job of recruiting him,” the Big Ten coach said. “I've said it for years that Larry Johnson is one of the best recruiters in the country, and I think he'll prove it again by closing on Jashon. He's got Jashon convinced that he and Justin can be like Terrell Suggs and Ray Lewis playing on the same defense.”

+3 HS
lljjgg's picture

It's funny that Jashon Cornell made that same comparison in an interview recently -- I had no idea that originated from Larry Johnson. Shows you how much of an impact LJ has already had on Cornell's thought process!

+2 HS
teddyballgame's picture

I think Vrabel might have been the better recruiter, but a lot of players probably prefer LJ's coaching philosophy.  I get the impression that he's more like a relaxed fatherly figure...no physical intimidation, yelling, cussing etc. 

+2 HS
scribeohio's picture

I recall that Devon Stihl referred to LJ as a father figure

teddyballgame's picture

duplicate post. 

+9 HS
EvanstonBuckeye's picture

For me, it's simple: Vrabel was a star player at tOSU, star in the NFL, and appears to be a star coach in the making. He was bound to go and bound to leave questions as to why he left as a high intensity guy that made instant connections with recruits and fans alike.

The hiring of LJ, then, represents a big transition in intensity and youth, but will, I think, mark an upgrade in coaching and not the drop-off in recruiting (if at all) that many perceive. Will we lose a recruit or two in this class that had bonded with Vrabel? Perhaps. I think in a couple of years, though, we'll settle into a level of defensive line dominance that will spoil us. At PSU, LJ was a bit of a hidden gem. Under Meyer, I think he, and his players and department, can become stars.

+1 HS
EvanstonBuckeye's picture

Stupid drunk double post!

BroJim's picture

Though I like our direction nothing is final. 

I season my simple food with hunger

DefenceWinsChampionships's picture

Holy shit I've been wrong my whole life! I had no idea it went 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 g 10!!!!

+5 HS
Crimson's picture

I was just about to post a similar smart ass response.  Yours was 9ood though.

+5 HS
lippertini's picture

Logged in just to upvote you.

tennbuckeye19's picture

Vrabel was a solid recruiter, and he had the NFL experience and name recognition going for him, but I'm not sure how good a coach he was for OSU. From day one he was basically learning on the job. We all know he was intense and a big rah-rah in your face kind of coach. Not a bad thing, necessarily, but Larry Johnson brings many years of college coaching to the table. A lot of these kids are also looking for a father figure type guy they can trust and learn from, be mentored by, and grow not only as a football player but also a man. It seems that's what Johnson brings to the table.

+1 HS
OSUBias's picture

I love the enthusiasm, but pump the brakes. They haven't even verbally committed to us yet, much less signed with us. I like what I'm hearing, though. Signed, bursting your bubble guy

Shitter's full

+1 HS
CC's picture

I totally agree, they are yet to have a play run or a player sign.  Vrable has 3 to 4 potential d lineman who are likely to be drafted.

danbrown7665's picture

you should have made this thread after cornell committed...

"limitations, like fears are often just illusions"
-Michael Jordan, the greatest athlete of all time

+1 HS
danbrown7665's picture

you should have made this thread after cornell committed...

"limitations, like fears are often just illusions"
-Michael Jordan, the greatest athlete of all time

+1 HS