Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

BTBuckeye's picture

"Basically my whole family went down to Ohio State and it was beautiful to see everyone enjoy it. Ohio State is pretty much my family."

KBonay's picture

"Ohio State is home. That's what they sell, that's what they preach on - just begin home," Baker said. "My friends go there, my family is going to be able to see me. It is the ultimate comfort level, and there is so much Ohio State has and I really love.

+2 HS
toad1204's picture

On Ohio State...

"Ohio State is home. That's what they sell, that's what they preach on - just begin home," Baker said. "My friends go there, my family is going to be able to see me. It is the ultimate comfort level, and there is so much Ohio State has and I really love.Ohio State.

On Tennessee...

I was just welcomed by the Tennessee Volunteers love. Their fans, they pretty much have the best fans in the nation. Their fans are just phenomenal, and the coaches and players welcomed me right in.

On Florida...

It's laid back, and you handle your business and you have fun doing it. I really, really, really loved that.

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

tennbuckeye19's picture

Let me tell you about Tennessee fans: they're desperate. They haven't had anything good happen for their program in so long they don't remember what it's like to actually be relevant. Plus most of them have nothing better to do than stalk high school kids in the hope that they'll come to 'Good Ol' Rocky Top.'

+5 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

1) Rocky Top is actually a pretty great fight song.

2) Yeah, their fans are desperate, but my sister goes there and the games are very fun, plus the campus is beautiful.

3) We also have a lot of shitty twitter-stalking fans (see: Ramzy's column)

As far as SEC schools go, I actually like UT a lot, but mostly because of the family angle and because Knoxville kicks ass. But I'd also love nothing more than for us to kick their ass at some point. Unfortunately, for that to happen, we'd either have to do REALLY poorly, or UT would have to overachieve more than anyone could dream.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+2 HS
Unky Buck's picture

2) Yeah, their fans are desperate, but my sister goes there and the games are very fun, plus the campus is beautiful.

Knoxville is a pretty nice city and you're correct, that is campus is gorgeous. A few friends and I went down to Louisville on a Friday night for a Pitt v Louisville game and then down to Knoxville the next morning for a Tenn v Auburn night game. It was a pretty great atmosphere and oddly enough, the girl I ended up hanging out with the rest of the night was an Ohio State fan. That was about 5 years ago but I doubt much had changed since then.

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

I actually went down for UT vs Auburn this year, UT got crushed, but it was a great day to spend with my family. UT is insane on gamedays. I mean, so is OSU, but instead of the tailgating being on a parking lot, like at OSU, it's on the grassy areas on campus, then you walk down the hill through a sea of Orange into the stadium.

Despite going to UT and obviously cheering for them, my sister is a Buckeye fan. She says that a lot of her friends think that UT would have beaten us last year, and that she just laughed at them and told them that they're delusional. I've never been prouder of her.

Still, despite their delusions, UT is a pretty great place, and if I'd visited before I chose to go to Ohio State, I might have ended up in Knoxville.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

tennbuckeye19's picture

I have no issue with Knoxville. It's a cool place. I've been there quite a bit and I've been to several games at Neyland. The atmosphere is great on game days. I have a lot of friends that are UT grads and my in-laws are grads as well.

But I do find their fans annoying, but any fan base can be viewed like that. For a program that hasn't been good in years, their fans sure are cocky about their program. 

And seriously, Rocky Top is a good song and all, but after going to a UT game and hearing it 8,000 times, I was ready to jump off Ol' Rocky Top.

+3 HS
allinosu's picture

Absolutely right. I lived in Gatlinburg for awhile and they were cocky and hearing rocky top over and over on every radio station will wear on you. Nashville was far more laid back.

jamesrbrown322's picture

With all due respect, I hate Rocky Top. In fact, it's not even their fight song technically, as "Down the Field" actually is. I just have very little respect for a team song written for the banjo. However, Neyland Stadium and Knoxville itself are fantastic on Game Day, there truly is an SEC allure whether we want to admit it or not, and the girls are pretty top shelf. Also, their new facilities are supposed to be amazing.

If you're an elite recruit, you can step it in and start from day 1. However, it is the South, and well, the South is not much different  than it was in the 60s, excepting that people are just not as public about their feelings, and to me, that would be a huge drawback.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

TheBadOwl's picture

However, it is the South, and well, the South is not much different  than it was in the 60s, excepting that people are just not as public about their feelings, and to me, that would be a huge drawback.

Fair enough, but Tennessee isn't exactly Mississippi or Alabama. While they still have their assholes, the actual university area, and downtown Knoxville are both pretty awesome places from what I've seen.

Also I can see how Rocky Top could be really, really obnoxious, but seeing a game at Neyland and singing it with 100,000+ is pretty great. With the exception of Carmen (which is basically just the students who don't leave early at this point), we don't really have a song at the Horseshoe that everyone sings, and I wish we did.

Rocky Top is a lot easier to remember for drunk college students than the Buckeye Battle Cry is.

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Rocky Top is a lot easier to remember for drunk college students than the Buckeye Battle Cry is.

Now, THAT's a fact. And hey, Tennessee as a whole is fine. I live here. I was just disagreeing with you. And, thank God that Tennessee, especially Middle Tennessee, is not Mississippi or Alabama.

+3 HS
BierStube's picture

I am just glad they don't bury dead people under the stadium!

http://origin.wbir.com/news/article/189921/2/Tennessee-Truth-or-Tall-Tal...

"No matter where you go, there you are." B. Banzai

+3 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

but mostly because of the family angle

Having family down there is one of the biggest reasons I cheer against UT. Tennessee fans are like the SEC version of Michigan and Notre Dame.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

buckeyedude's picture

In a way, i like "Rocky Top," better than "Sweet Home Alabama." Maybe its just because I'm less sick of Rocky Top?

Squirrel Master's picture

All true Tennbuck but I could probably prove that OSU fans are just as desperate because we have had failure so many times recently on the national stage. We want these guys bad too, just for a different reason.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

BierStube's picture

"No matter where you go, there you are." B. Banzai

+7 HS
blocko330's picture

Just love that GIF...so much

+1 HS
MikeEagleBuckeye's picture

Sorry Tennessee and Florida, but we got this one on lock.

sharks's picture

Tennessee is this year's Kentucky- below average SEC team that for whatever reason is getting attention from a bunch of top players.  Looking at their schedule,  they'll be lucky to go .500 this fall.

Muscamp can't blame his ineptitude on Urban Meyer forever, they may not break .500 either, and he'll be out.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

irishfury's picture

I read on another forum that Florida has a really good shot.  Not that it means much.  It was one of those my cousin knows his grandad who know his brother things.  Only thing that worries me is this was before his top 3.

Seattle Linga's picture

Can't wait - we need to keep this local kid ----- local  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Squirrel Master's picture

Can a recruit say anything that is more obvious that he likes OSU than that? Come on. Just do it Jerome, you pretty much already said it. Just 6 little words.

I'm Officially Committing to Ohio State!

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

jamesrbrown322's picture

It sounds like very high praise for Tennessee. I would have never figured that they would have become a factor. I gotta imagine that Florida is a distant 3rd. Hoping he comes to OSU, but if he doesn't at least he'll play somewhere I can watch him.

Gotta be a Buckeye...he'll never have a shot at a division, conference, or national championship if he goes to Tennessee.