Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Darius Fullwood No Longer Considering Ohio State

Jordan Wagner's picture
June 22, 2014 at 6:10pm
50 Comments

UPDATE: Three-star DE Darius Fullwood tells me Ohio State is no longer being considered after speaking with Larry Johnson Sr.  

EARLIER: Three-star defensive end Darius Fullwood has announced a final five of Ohio State, Maryland, Kentucky, Duke and Virginia Tech. His decision will be coming on Saturday at 5PM. 

The Buckeyes have long been considered the favorite, but there is no guarantee that Ohio State will be accepting his commitment. 

Fullwood told Eleven Warriors that he had not yet spoke with Larry Johnson Sr., but is expecting a call tonight to find out if they'll accept his commitment. 

BroJim's picture

Interesting. Why would the staff offer him then renege? Am I missing something?

I season my simple food with hunger

hobochops987's picture

Commitable and Non-Commitable offers. An offer that's not Commitable is sometimes when you want the person in the class, but others you want more.  It shows the recruit you are interested.  

Trust in UFM

+2 HS
Buckeye_in_SEC_country's picture

How does that work then? Will he call the staff before he commits to ask permission? Would be pretty embarrassing the publicly commit then be denied by the staff. 

+1 HS
BroJim's picture

Good question. Still a little confused.

I season my simple food with hunger

Jordan Wagner's picture

Updated the original post. Larry Johnson Sr. is expected to call tonight. 

Seattle Linga's picture

Is it possible that they tell him to hold off until they know for sure.

+1 HS

I was just about to comment something to that extent. Is Fullwood willing to wait if Johnson tells him no or is he just going to pick another school? 

Who are the other DEs the staff is waiting on? 

Seattle Linga's picture

I would assume that players can commit if they want a scholarship then flip back to their first choice if there is an opening.

+1 HS
Jordan Wagner's picture

He appears to be set on announcing on Saturday regardless of the outcome. 

Ohio State is in good shape for Jashon Cornell and Christian Wilkins (although he doesn't talk much). Dre'Mont Jones is in the fold. I think the goal is to take 3-4 DL in this class. The Buckeyes are still in on Josh Sweat, Rick DeBerry, Tim Settle, Neville Gallimore, Beckner Jr and some other guys. 

Mortc15's picture

Cornell, Sweat, Gallimore, wilkins, beckner, settle are some of the DL possibilities that seem to be ahead of him in the staff's eyes right now. 

Edit: Jordan's got it much better. 

Buck-I4Life

+2 HS
EDUGOON's picture

With Cornell and possibly Josh Sweat in the Hunt we just might miss out on this kid. Casualty of the recruiting game.  Sucks because he's a damn good one.

"We Don't Believe You, You Need More People"- Hova #GOBUCKS #FreeElGuapo #Famthik

+2 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

think Fullwood should wait if he wants in the class. I know it would be a thing a good prospect would do (effectively accepting being a plan B or plan C) but if he wants to be a Buckeye, should be patient as I believe there are others on the board ahead of him. If the staff accept his commitment, then clearly the situations with the others are not as favorable as originally thought. 

-1 HS
JDunc686's picture

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the staff take 5 on the D-Line this year.

2002osubuck's picture

I think Cornell could easily move inside like Washington. Take Fullwood at DE and try to get one of Wilkins, settle or galimore for DT. That would be a solid dline haul.

Jordan Wagner's picture

UPDATE: Three-star DE Darius Fullwood tells me Ohio State is no longer being considered after speaking with Larry Johnson Sr.  

TheBadOwl's picture

Damn, he loves OSU. I'd be crushed if I was him.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+6 HS
Jordan Wagner's picture

It's the worst part of recruiting. Unfortunate. 

Jeremypreemo81's picture

that really sucks for him, it appeared he was all OSU.  Best of luck to him

+1 HS
theopulas's picture

if we wait i think we get josh sweat.....the jewel of the class.....

Theopulas

brunstar's picture

No room, unless we want to be like Bama and oversign 10 high school seniors before we ask them to grey shirt and sit out without the scholarship we promised them.

+1 HS
Hayze's picture

He's set on announcing next Saturday. Which I can understand. Good for him.

However, if he waited until closer to signing day, there's a good chance we would offer him a scholarship.

Alas, that is not going to happen.

Good luck to the young man.

+3 HS

I've stated before that I'm not a fan of the "non-commitable" offers. Either you want the kid or you don't, but I'm not getting paid millions to win games. Best of luck to the kid wherever he ends up. 

+5 HS
Hayze's picture

I hear you but it's the name of the game for a lot of kids.

Especially early in the recruiting season, it's really the only way to show you're interested for OOS recruits. Most recruits from further away won't come camp if they don't have an offer, whether it's commitable or not.

But we don't offer non-commitable offers to instate kids, because our coaches can go see them work out and play a lot easier.

+2 HS
MarylandPride's picture
+16 HS
HotSauceCommittee's picture

Feel for the kid, best of luck.

+5 HS
Hayze's picture

Love this kid.

If a scholarship that we're not planning on being available opens up, I would love for us to go back after him.

+3 HS
avail31678's picture

What a classy kid.  Could easily have said different things on Twitter.

Best of luck Darius!

+7 HS
BassDropper's picture

Thread title should be "Ohio State No Longer Considering Darius Fullwood"

DIRECTIONER

+6 HS
DCNick's picture

How disappointing... This is why OSU no longer gives non-commitable offers to players in Ohio. It's bad enough when it's not a local kid. Still, I imagine there's nobody better to hear it from than Larry Johnson. I'm sure he's had this conversation a lot.

+1 HS
WayCraKen's picture

Just selected UK over Maryland and VT. A well spoken young man. 

+2 HS
brunstar's picture

SEC bagmen doing work! 

Woodshed's picture

Wow, that is brutal for VT. Lose a desired in-state talent to a team like Kentucky.

Rough

+3 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

I didn't dv you, Way, but if you ever showed any interest in OSU football, beyond how it affects Kentucky, you'd probably get a better reception on this board.

+9 HS
AndyVance's picture

Welcome back, Way! Feels like we haven't seen you in a while.

+2 HS
buckeyestu's picture

The uk fans are thrilled to get these 3 stars, wish Darius good luck while playing for the bottom feeders of the $ec.

-3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Bert would be jealous of these recruits.

+1 HS
buckupnorth's picture

These are the kind of guys other big ten teams need to start getting. He's from Maryland, tOSU was interested but he winds up in Kentucky... could have at least gone somewhere like Penn State, Maryland, etc. 

buckeyeguy0615's picture

Is the ESPN article up on how he picked UK over OSU?

+5 HS
otrain2416's picture

What the heck is UK doing to sell these kids is beyond me. Go to VT play in a bowl game for 4 years and compete for an ACC championship or go to UK and be the layup for SEC teams and even get beaten by instate Western Kentucky.

+2 HS
Kid Gloves's picture

Great point - I believe UK has gotten better this off-season but it does make you wonder.

+1 HS
DaBuckMD's picture

I remember the last time under Hal Mumme.  Believe it was the the "music program" for Antonio Hall.

WayCraKen's picture

Thanks Andy. I have lots of interest in Buckeye football Saturday. Ill be upfront and let you know that my knowledge in this recruiting game is below the people that give input on 11 Warriors on the average. I normally target a few recruits to try and find something out about them. This year I was sold on Nick Conner as being one of the best. Glad we got him. Im not high on EGW but hope he can turn it around. And I am glad UK is picking some of the best Buckeye talent that tOSU is not interested in. Buckeyes is and always has been the team I root for most and I defend them and the BIG on many occassions by pointing out the morality of how you should treat all recruits and their families when they commit to your school. 

But I do follow UK to and I am a Stoops fan. 

+3 HS
razrback16's picture

WayCraken -- call Mark Stoops for us and get a game on the schedule. Kentucky is so close I don't know why we don't schedule them more.

+3 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

call Mark Stoops for us

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+4 HS
razrback16's picture

lol +1, thank you sir for the correction!

+1 HS
BuckeyeRick's picture

Mark Stoops: 2-10. One win against an FCS school, the other against a winless team in FBS. Yeah he's a great coach. LOL.

+3 HS
WayCraKen's picture

Call Bob Stoops?  Oklahoma I am sure would not want an OOC game against tOSU

Woodshed's picture

Actually OSU and Oklahoma have a home and home starting after the VT one is over.

I get what you are saying though. Most of us know that Bob doesn't coach Kentucky.