Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

More QB dominoes falling?

NH-IO's picture
June 5, 2014 at 10:52am
57 Comments

I heard this morning on the Bill King show that Blake Barnett has decommitted from ND and will likely flip to Oregon (and that he has always been Oregon's first choice at QB).  The decommit is also reported here.   Anyone care to speculate on how this affects OSU's recruitment of Travis Waller and Torrance Gibson?

ab1993's picture
+2 HS
NH-IO's picture

Stunningly insightful.  Thanks so much.

+28 HS
dubjayfootball90's picture

perfect response

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.

-3 HS
Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

Insightful?  He gave an opinion to answer the proposed question. Did you want an essay?  

Read my entire screen name....

-2 HS
NH-IO's picture

Why yes, yes I did.  Or a complete sentence.   Frankly it's a valid response and could be exactly the case.  I was just being a little snarky.  Now I feel bad that others downvoted it, but I do think most expect a little more in a response on a discussion forum.  Its all good.

+2 HS
beserkr29's picture

Still a long way to signing day, but have to think that Barnett to UO would improve the Buckeyes chances with Waller. Also comes down to what does Urban think Gibson's ceiling is? We know the Buckeye staff can develop players more ably than the previous one was able to, but do they want the best QB skills or best athlete at QB? Personally, I think they should go hard for Waller and let Gibson go as he wishes. Best QBs usually do more (Boyd vs TP under Tressel). Obviously there's more to it than just QB type, but I think Waller gives OSU a better set of skills at the position.

+3 HS
osu07asu10's picture

We know the Buckeye staff can develop players more ably than the previous one was able to

Yeah, turning 3 star prospects into Heisman trophy winner and 1st rd NFL draft picks is terrible...

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+12 HS
beserkr29's picture

"No one ever taught me how to throw a football before.". And I think Alex Smith, Leak, Tebow, etc show better than Bauserman and Boeckman.

+5 HS
NH-IO's picture

I might agree with you, but quoting Mr. "Everybody kills people..."  does not necessarily bolster your argument...

+1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

"No one ever taught me how to throw a football before.". And I think Alex Smith, Leak, Tebow, etc show better than Bauserman and Boeckman.

Yeah because Chris Leak and Tebow just tore up the NFL? So you're hanging your hat on Alex Smith? Got it.

+1 HS
shaggybuckeye's picture

To be fair, Tebow won a lot of the games he started in the NFL but he wasn't given much of an opportunity. Not that he was going to be a Peyton Manning or anything, but he wasn't Weeden bad...

+8 HS
lamplighter's picture

"Weeden bad" - gotta love it

+3 HS
beserkr29's picture

If we're talking as a pro, Alex Smith is the best QB of either coaching staff. Love Tressel and his players, but Smith barely made a roster as a Heisman winner. Tebow at least won a playoff game. Boeckman, Schoenhoft, Zwick, Bauserman, Pryor? Not a dent. Pryor has a Jeopardy record on a fluke play. That's it.

Squirrel Master's picture

I could care less comparing QBs in the NFL. As long as they are skilled enough to win games as a buckeye.

Urban's had his failures too btw. Its not like Urban is some NFL pipeline for QBs. Saying Urban produces better NFL caliber QB's than Tressel is like saying a fart smells better than $hit! They both stink!

How about we just take whoever wants to commit and hope they develop enough to start for a National Championship winning team. Then if they go on to do great things in the NFL, its a bonus!

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+6 HS
Brutus' Left Nut's picture

Urban has had a #1 overall QB pick and a first round QB pick, both have won playoff games.

Tressell hasn't had any QBs drafted in the first round.

The only recent college coach I can think of that was a "NFL pipeline for QBs" is Pete Carroll.  Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart, Matt Cassell, Mark Sanchez, Matt Barkley.

I can't really think of any current college coaches that consistently have NFL QBs drafted highly.

+1 HS
buckeyedude's picture

Saying Urban produces better NFL caliber QB's than Tressel is like saying a fart smells better than $hit! They both stink!

You have a very keen mind, Squirrel. I get it now.

+2 HS
kmp10's picture

Tressel's one weakness, and it was lulu, was that he fancied himself a quarterback guru. Tressel was a winner, a great leader and one of the 5 best college coaches of the past quarter century… but he was NOT a quarterback guru. As a matter of fact, he was a poor developer of QB's. It was his kryptonite and he thought it was his strength. 

-1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Tressel's one weakness, and it was lulu, was that he fancied himself a quarterback guru. Tressel was a winner, a great leader and one of the 5 best college coaches of the past quarter century… but he was NOT a quarterback guru. As a matter of fact, he was a poor developer of QB's. It was his kryptonite and he thought it was his strength. 

That's really not accurate at all. For starters, Tressel WAS an offensive coach who helped with the QBs. Tressel had pretty rock solid QB play during tenure at Ohio State. The drop off in coaching came when Joe Daniels was diagnosed with cancer and subsequently forced to retire. "Coach" Siciliano will get no support from me.

You make it sound like Ohio State had the worst QB play in college football.

+3 HS
kmp10's picture

I disagree. I make it sound like Tressel was a great college football coach… but his handling of the quarterback position was his weak spot, imo. I know who held the titles, but I believe Tressel was heavily involved in the quarterback room. I believe Troy Smith, Pryor and, to a much smaller degree, Bellisari were athletes first who played the QB position (not unlike Braxton Miller). None of them developed significantly as true quarterbacks specific to their natural ability. That doesn't mean Smith and Pryor weren't great players. Obviously, they most certainly were… but great quarterbacks? Smith was the closest thing to a great QB under Tressel, but his athleticism was what he built his college career on and he really didn't mature as a quarterback. Krenzel was smart and a winner, but just a decent quarterback. Todd Boeckman was serviceable and nothing more. Joe Bauserman actually regressed during his time here. Here's a hypothetical scenario: when Tressel was here you had a son who was a five star QB (and lets pretend you have no affiliation whatsoever with Ohio State) being recruited by all the elite schools. He had genuine NFL potential and the perfect size. Would Ohio State have made the cut in the competition for his services, AS A QUARTERBACK, under Tressel? 

Lots of coaches have titles; Bollman was the offensive coordinator in title. Sicilliano was the QB coach in title. Chris Ash is a co-defensive coordinator in title this year. Fickell was "head coach" in 2011. Titles can be misleading, and it's my opinion that Tressel was, essentially, a de factor QB coach… and not a great one. I love the guy, but that was not a strength for him. Again, we'll agree to disagree, and that's ok. I enjoy the debate on here; it's half the reason I'm on the site so much.

-1 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

I thought Tress' weakness was keeping Bollman around?

+6 HS
skid21's picture

Any you're hanging your hat where? Exactly who is the QB pipeline to the NFL these days? I seriously have no clue. It seems like the QBs come from the most random places in any given year. Who was the last Saban QB to have any significant success in the NFL?

Woodshed's picture

Who was a 3 star prospect that osu or meyer turned into a Heisman winner?

well I think his point is that Troy Smith was barely a 4 star recruit. He was rated the 12th dual threat QB by 247. Was probably a 2 star for ESPN.

+1 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

That was before ESPN signed the big SEC contract.  If you go back, you won't see anywhere near the OSU/BIG hate from that time period.

+2 HS

my comment isn't about hate, its about how awful their recruiting coverage is. They suck when it comes to a lot of their rankings.

+1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

well I think his point is that Troy Smith was barely a 4 star recruit. He was rated the 12th dual threat QB by 247. Was probably a 2 star for ESPN.

Thanks for have my back SM!

+1 HS
Woodshed's picture

Afaik, smith was a consensus 4* recruit as an "athlete"

NH-IO's picture

This is along my way of thinking.  I'm not convinced that Gibson is a good enough Quarterback to wait on and then miss out not only on him but any other top tier QB.  I guess I am in the camp that wants to see some better passers at QB rather than the athlete types.

+7 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Question - If Oregon was his no. 1 choice all along - why did he commit to ND in the first place?

+1 HS
JDunc686's picture

I think he was Oregon's number 1 choice all along, Oregon may not have been his number one choice all along.

+2 HS
MacG91's picture

I thought Kyler Murray was their #1?

Mac..yeah

+5 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

According to Waller, he's OSU's #1.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

+1 HS
NH-IO's picture

He was Oregon's first choice, not the other way around, necessarily.  Can't comment on why he originally committed to ND.

Edit - oops, need to refresh more often.

+1 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

I'm really hoping that the staff starts pushing for Waller. I just don't think TG is coming here, and as much as I like Burrow, there's nothing wrong with hedging your bets as far as the QB position goes.

+9 HS
Unky Buck's picture

Hedging bets...reminded me how I should have hedged my parlay bet and put some money down on Pittsburgh to beat the Dodgers. Knew I should have done it!

But I digress...I am becoming less and less optimistic that TG is heading this way and starting to wonder if he is the one we want. With all of the recent stuff, I'm just not sure right now. I hope to hell I'm wrong and it's just an aberration but time will tell. But with that, let's go after Waller. The kid has tremendous upside as a QB and just seems more natural to me.

+4 HS
TraSmith4's picture

It's a bunch of 17 & 18 year old kids who knows what will happen before signing day heck there could be more de-commits and flips before then! All I know is Urban wants 2 QB's for some reason which makes me wonder how he really feels about Jones and Barrett.

+2 HS
JDunc686's picture

Wanting 2 QBs could be more of a numbers game than an indictment on the potential of Jones and Barrett; Urban has to take into consideration that a transfer is possible for whoever does not win the starting job next year.

+2 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

It will impact Waller I presume but will have no influence on Gibson as its like SEC country or OSU for Gibson

MikeEagleBuckeye's picture

Until Gibson visits, I don't feel comfortable putting all of the eggs in the "Gibson" basket.  With Barnett likely to commit to Oregon in the near future, now would be the quintessential time to offer and make a run on Waller.

+3 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

All the eggs aren't in the Gibson basket. That's why Joe Burrow is a Buckeye.

+5 HS
MikeEagleBuckeye's picture

True.  All remaining eggs I should say then if the staff still wants two quarterbacks in the class.

+1 HS

IMO Burrow took Waller's spot. The staff got the low risk solid QB they wanted, so now they're going to go all in on the boom or boost #2.

+3 HS
Northbrook's picture

I think if Waller camps and looks good he gets a committable offer.

+2 HS
sivaDavis's picture

Nothing against Burrow but I don't think just because he committed, the eggs aren't still all in the Gibson basket. Hell it could be even more now because at the time, we still were looking around for another QB and could focus on taking a pair and trying to find out which pair that is. Now we have a QB in this class, so if Ohio State still feels like they are serious players for Gibson, you won't see another QB commit to the Buckeyes unless it's Torrance and that could seriously hurt our chances with other QBs out there. Hence the "all eggs in one basket" belief. If Waller or another QB commits to the Buckeyes within the next couple months, that's when the ship has finally sailed and we can say goodbye to TG. Hopefully Torrance decides to commit sooner rather than later so the Buckeyes know and could find another QB if he doesn't end up with OSU. 

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

I think if Waller camps and looks good he gets a committable offer.

That's certainly a possibility. I wouldn't mind at all if my stated belief turns out to be wrong.

Nothing against Burrow but I don't think just because he committed, the eggs aren't still all in the Gibson basket.

If Ohio State has a QB then by definition the eggs can't all be in the Gibson basket. Now all the remaining eggs may be in his basket which I believe is what you're saying (and as I alluded to earlier so do I), but that isn't the same thing.

+1 HS
BuckeyeJ's picture

Very interesting. Wonder if we have a real shot at Waller. I also like Sheriron Jones. But pretty sure the staff is sold on TG, and to be honest I don't think they will offer either Waller or Jones in time so they will end up just taking Burrow? 

teddyballgame's picture

Probably helps us slightly with Waller now that Oregon is out of the picture for him.  Assuming ND is interested in him now...distance is negligible between ND and OSU but we've already shown interest and started building a relationship with him.

Gametime's picture

In a way it might give us more time with Waller. I know (for whatever reason) the coaches want to wait & see something from Gibson, & perhaps they feel safe now because they did land Burrow (who's no slouch himself). With that said, Notre Dame, Cal, Arizona, & Northwestern become players (however minor or major), but I think the staff MAY be waiting to see how Gibson progresses through the Elite 11 or even just which one of these QBs want to show up and be a leader in the class.

Having a QB who you know can sling that rock & drop dimes helps out programs BIG TIME with getting elite skill players to commit.

Between goals and achievement is discipline and consistency. That fire you have inside to do whatever you love is placed there by God. Now go claim it. ~ Denzel Washington

willshire58's picture

Has Gibson been invited to the Elite11?

ab1993's picture

As far as I know from what I have heard from Bucknuts staff, our QB pursuit is pretty much done at this point except for Gibson. If we don't get him then they're fine taking only Burrow in this class.

TraSmith4's picture

That's interesting... I had not heard that. So if Gibson goes SEC and Waller ends up elsewhere than we are done at QB for this class? So there won't be any going after guys already committed elsewhere and no surprise names out there that we haven't really heard of yet? I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing but I just hadn't heard that info before.

Waller and ND update here: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2087745-notre-dame-offers-qbs-travis-...

hobochops987's picture

Waller to Notre Dame then maybe and Barnett to Oregon?

Trust in UFM

skid21's picture

Just saw where ND has offered Waller. I don't think he has visited there either. So Waller has been slow played by Oregon, ND and OSU, all who put at least one other QB ahead of him. I don't get it. I love this kid and think he has tons of potential. As a QB I'd take him before Gibson. Gibson is an awesome athlete who happens to play QB.

Mortc15's picture

The longer this progresses, the more I think osu ends up with 1 qb. To me, auburn is a perfect fit for Gibson. Nick Marshall had to throw the ball a minimal amount and almost won a national championship last year which seems like what Gibson will be most suited for, if all the experts are right and he needs work throwin the ball. 

Buck-I4Life

Woodshed's picture

Didn't want to start another thread so I'll post it here.

Tenn just got ANOTHER QB commit out of texas...

+2 HS