Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Do we really want Shaun Crawford?

sox33osu's picture
May 28, 2014 at 5:11pm
117 Comments

So a good friend of mine was giving me some information on his recent school suspension. This kid has some major red flags in the maturity department. I didn't see this anywhere else on the boards so I apologize if it's a duplicate, but he stole from a teammate, and then assaulted a kid for ratting him out, evidently slamming his head into a locker. Seems like grounds to look elsewhere for DB talent to me. Again, sorry if this has been mentioned, I've been off of here for a while.

OSU2002Grad's picture

I think we'll let the coaching staff sort out who they want and don't want. Character is difficult to gauge from afar. They'll do the appropriate vetting.

+10 HS
sox33osu's picture

"Character is difficult to gauge from afar."

My friend, I truly hope it doesn't take much investigation to know this sort of behavior from a kid his age is extremely troubling. If it was just the theft and he was remorseful for it, it'd be one thing. I've always had an enormous issue with guys who screw up and then take their aggression out on the person who exposed them. If you screwed up and got found out, you are the only one to blame. I'd hope they are scouring the DB landscape even moreso now.

+4 HS
OSU2002Grad's picture

Actually, what I'm saying is that the staff has more information than you do. You heard something. I'll let them sort it out.

+2 HS
sox33osu's picture

Oh I don't disagree with you in that regard. Of course they know more than I do. All I was saying is that, if this is true, there's really no way to rationalize or excuse this sort of behavior. It's not like a gray area. Theft and assault are pretty black and white.

-1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

He is a kid growing up, I'm not ready to give up on him because of a suspension.

As Ramzy pointed out, maybe that is the Tress in me

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+1 HS
sox33osu's picture

I would agree, but it's not the suspension - it's what he did to get suspended. This doesn't fall under the "kids being kids" sort of thing to me. There are literally dozens of other very talented defensive back talents out there without this sort of incident.

+4 HS
osu07asu10's picture

I'm not doubting your friend but there is no other details that support this and it doesn't look like Crawford is in legal trouble for either acts so I'm willing to err on the side of caution and not leave him for dead.

Does he maybe have a shorter leash? I would think so but we should still recruit him

+3 HS
BroJim's picture

Agreed. Wait for facts. 

I season my simple food with hunger

+3 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

I would've been beaten to a pulp if I ever got suspended. Of course, that's not allowed anymore and students get out of control because they know that all they will receive is a suspension. They're in high school for god's sake. Hopefully this was just for some stupid thing like video taping a fight and not anything serious, if it is even true at all.

Edit: *reads forum in more detail* yep, he deserved to be suspended.

LEBRON

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Well, are we giving up on EGW and Gibson then too...?

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+4 HS
sox33osu's picture

Does that mean he gets a free pass because we've recruited other kids who have been in scuffles? Also, I'd call getting in a fight with a teammate a little different than knowingly stealing and then tracking down the kid who told on you and slamming his head in a locker. I'm not saying fighting is Ok, but in the heat of the moment anything can happen.

-3 HS
Swayze's picture

I mean come on now, Hasn't everyone stolen from someone and then beat them up when they ratted.

+13 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Strange, sounds like a PERFECT fit for scUM!

-3 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Yep. My niece ratted me out when I tried to take her Wall-E dvd. Even 2 year olds need to be taught that snitches get stitches.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+6 HS
NH-IO's picture

everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever -- TPeezy

+7 HS
Brutus' Left Nut's picture

Snitches get Stitches.  This guy follows the rules and that is what we need!

+9 HS
BlockO's picture

Yes

"faith seeking understanding” (fides quaerens intellectum)

-1 HS
Jeremy Birmingham's picture

Yes, the Buckeyes want him. He's a good kid, that incident was way out of character.

osu07asu10's picture

Birm brings the voice of reason!

+4 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

Well, there you go...  Thank God Birm knows how to piss on a fire. 

+3 HS
sox33osu's picture

Birm, forgive me, but how can you call someone a "good kid" that does something like that? As far as confirming the facts, this came to me from 2 sources in the Ohio high school track coaching world, so I fully believe they're true. If you know different, let me know. So, that said, how is a kid that steals from a teammate and physically assaults another one for turning him in "good"? Quite frankly, I don't see how a kid with genuinely good character could do that sort of thing.

-2 HS
osu07asu10's picture

I think Earle said something about dressing in the basement when you live in a glass house...

I'd hate to think that we judge everyone by their lowest moment

+2 HS
sox33osu's picture

@OSU7ASU10 - This isn't about "judging", it's about making sure we are taking high character individuals. Would you let a convicted rapist babysit your daughter? I mean, I'd hate to think you'd judge him by his lowest moment, right?

-10 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Would you let a convicted rapist babysit your daughter?

+19 HS
sox33osu's picture

I lol'd at this. Still though, even if this is just his "lowest moment", it doesn't mean he gets to just get a pass. Playing for Ohio State is an exceptional privilege, and when you do things like this you need to live with the repercussions, no?

-4 HS
BroJim's picture

Sox, you're out of pocket.

I season my simple food with hunger

+3 HS
sox33osu's picture

Huh? I only know that phrase when describing someone who is out of the office on vacation or something.

-6 HS
teddyballgame's picture

Wow, that escalated quickly.

+3 HS
dubjayfootball90's picture

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.

+13 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

How can you permanently label someone a bad kid based on a rumor you heard from somebody in the high school track coaching world?  

I get your sentiment and want good clean kids on our team...but I'm not willing to write a kid off based on rumors. 

You show me a Jayru Campbell type video and I'll bail immediately and forever.  However, without context, cold hard facts, and/or irrifutable evidence...I'm going to maintain trust in our staff to get the right type of kids to OSU. 

+5 HS
sox33osu's picture

@Chief - This isn't just a rumor. He was suspended, that's a fact. I'm not going to say who the individuals are that I spoke to about this, and you're free to not believe me. However, Birm is even acknowledging what I said happened, so believe what you want. I'm bringing this up for conversation's sake. In my mind, these aren't the actions of a "good kid". These are the actions of a kid who completely lacks respect for his teammates and coaches. I played baseball throughout high school, and under no circumstances would I ever think of doing something like this, especially when it involved my teammates. If you disagree, then you're entitled to that opinion. 

-2 HS
1967Buck's picture

Judge and Jury, Sox33OSU? Lets wait till all the facts come out. Peace.

+4 HS
sox33osu's picture

Just reporting what I'm hearing. Considering Birm has been in this thread and acknowledged it without refuting it at all, I'd say it's pretty credible. I'm not the judge and jury on this, but I know what my beliefs are.

Chief B1G Dump's picture

I'm not arguing that he was suspended. My computer, phone, iPad, TV, etc all have Google and I have read that he was suspended for 3 days, missing a day of the district track meet. I have also read the statement that he was suspended for an "internal school matter."

What I am saying is that I am not prepared to  permanently label a kid a bad seed based on a rumor you heard from someone associated with high school track. His private catholic school suspended him for 3 days. They did not expell him and/or force him to transfer. They are private catholic and can kick him out for any number of reasons and chose not to. As a former catholic schooler, I have seen kids forced out for equal to less based on overall character assessments, see Troy Smith at Eds. I will err towards St Eds assessment of his character, since they know him and not convict him on a rumor -whether it true or not. 

To answer your original question, I still want him, but will be watching his behavior closely...sounds like our coaches are doing the same. 

+4 HS
sox33osu's picture

I never once said that I am "permanently labeling him". This isn't about applying labels, it's about doing what is best for our football team. As I've already said, I'm taking this as truth based on who I heard it from. If I'm wrong, I'll be more than happy to come back and admit it. I've never come on here starting rumor threads. 

As far as Catholic school standards, I'm going to stay away from that. I know they're private and have their own standards. 

As to your final part, this was the point of this thread - to get opinions to see if people still wanted him. Thank you, sir.

-4 HS
mtrotb's picture

And the prisons are full of good people.  Ask their parents, they were angels when they were 5.

mtrotb

+1 HS
Katzfan's picture

Hey Birm...Isn't it true that he is undersized for a DB... With schools recruiting bigger and bigger WR's these days, isn't that something that the Buckeyes should be cognizant of?  Don't get  me wrong, I am not implying that I know more about recruiting than the coaches do, I DON'T, just curious what your thoughts are.... Thanks bud... GO BUCKS!!!

"You're pissed because we went after a committed guy? Guess what, we got nine guys who better go do it again. Do it a little harder next time." -- Urban Frank Meyer  -- I LOVE THIS DUDE!! :)

ab1993's picture

Is his size not a concern at all or will he probably grow?

+2 HS
GregNJ's picture

I've always heard he was a good kid from family I have out in Ohio and this isn't like him. I would still want him at Ohio State. He isn't a bad kid by any stretch I dont believe.

Toilrt Paper's picture

Let MSU have  him.

-6 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

He'll go perfect with Jayruuuuuuuuuu

LEBRON

+3 HS
TheTeam16's picture

He is pretty much an ND lock at this point, most believe anyway.

teddyballgame's picture

Not everybody is the perfect person in the world.  Everyone does -- kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me. I just feel that people need to give him a chance.

+17 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

Great use of this!  LOL. +1. 

sharks's picture

If this is true, shame on Kubacki and the rest of the administration for keeping him in school.  A non-star athlete would have been booted for far less.  When I roamed the halls, I knew a guy who was tossed for stealing a calculator (TI-something) and another guy who was expelled for winning a fight on school property.  I dont have any context here, but the double standard at Ed's is seriously sickening, if what alleged is true.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

It's going to be interesting to see what happens when it's all said and done.

Groveport Heisman's picture

Why does this whole thread feel like a *ichigan fan trying validate why they wont be enjoying Crawfords services? Maybe its just me but someone seems hellbent on running this kid into the ground.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+4 HS
sox33osu's picture

Nah man, I'm S&G through and through. Been posting on this site for awhile, though I have been away for a while. I'd like to think there are more details about what happened that somehow shed a better light, but I'm just going by what I am hearing from two extremely solid sources. My opinion is based on this being true. I just hate hearing about stuff like this and don't want it anywhere near our team.

-3 HS

I respect that reply and I myself have been guilty in the past of wanting us to pass on kids that have serious character issues. I spent a lot of time and a few screen names declaring how I thought we needed to pass on Sterling Jenkins(PSU commit) after I seen some absolute horrible things the kid said on twitter. Honestly like a poster mentioned above there are so many rules now and so few ass whoopings being dealt out that if we only recruited Angels we would probably end up with a recruiting class similar to NorthWestern. And I promise you it would be hard as hell to play "Stanford" football with a recruiting class that resembles NW's.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+2 HS
sox33osu's picture

You're definitely right about recruiting like NW. I know we aren't going to recruit perfect angels, and kids are gonna do stupid stuff. This, however, falls outside of that scope for me. I know it's not my place to be the moral authority for people, and once again, this is all just my opinion. I just want to get the opinions of everyone else on here. I mean, we've had our share of unrest over the past few years with players, so I just don't want to see this sort of stuff happening anymore. I'm also probably far too cynical for a 29-year old.

My2Sons's picture

Here's an idea, sOX.  If you have nothing new to add, instead of repeating yourself to defend your position here, just shut up.  Bet you can't.

-1 HS
sox33osu's picture

Thanks for your input on the situation and thread topic, My2sons.

+1 HS
CGroverL's picture

Personally....I just wish that people would stop giving the dude "downvotes". A man gave his opinion which was obviously hated by most and all of you are crucifying him. For the most part, we all want our Buckeye football squad to be filled with model citizens, right? I'm sure our brother "Sox33osu" wants the same. Let's not let this thing that happened to a high school recruit come between the best fans in the nation...which , of course is Buckeye Nation. One kid does not make a team and if he does become a Buckeye, I'm sure that Coach Marotti will turn him into a "model Buckeye" rather quickly. Put your trust in Coach Mick! Our Buckeyes are coming in 2014...the rest of the nation better get ready for them.

"I hope they're last in everything"

Thanks, Urb!

+1 HS

Most are now acting like a bunch of teenage girls that are waiting on their first period.I could tell as you were DVed before I even got to read your post. This is a fellow brother that we all share a common interest but he is being burnt at the stake for stating a simple opinion.If this is how things are going to be this site is slowly going to the birds.Or is being overrun by the ones wanting equal rights marriages. Sack the fuck up and act like a man. Act like a true Buckeye. Urban and Coombs would be pissed at the way some of you are showing off your pink thong.

-2 HS
osu07asu10's picture

If this is how things are going to be this site is slowly going to the birds.

Says the new 11w member of 2 weeks...

New? I've been on here and run thru screen names like I'm changing clothes. Me and you have actually been in several threads and agreed on quite a few topics. I take it  you are not the very observant type?

-1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Quite observant actually. I just don't keep up with your outfits screen names I guess. My apologies.

+1 HS

Yea my bad it just seemed like everyone else knew who I was the last 2 weeks I have been using this screen name. I'll apologize now I have a early start to my weekend and by Sunday I probably will have difficulty making it to the restroom. Wasn't trying to be a jackass.

osu07asu10's picture

No worries, I rectified cast DV...

+2 HS

Much appreciated fellow Buckeye. =)

+1 HS
sox33osu's picture

Wish I could upvote you more, my friend. You are definitely right, I would have to imagine Coach Mick could do some work with most kids. I wasn't trying to create any enemies, but I know I earned some of the downvotes. Thanks for chiming in, excellent points.

TheBadOwl's picture

I agree 100% and I'm going to take it a bit further.

Idea: Let's stop doing all of these things:

1. Baselessly speculating about a 17-year-old kid's character by talking about second-hand internet rumors.
  2. Judging a 17-year-old's character based on their Twitter feed.
  3. Acting like a 17-year-old kid should show maturity beyond their years
  4. Forgetting that these 17-year-old kids are being slobbered over by all the top football programs.
  5. Acting like you know what experiencing the modern day recruiting process is like.
  6. Getting mad at 17-year-old kids for enjoying what is likely both an incredibly fun and frustrating process.
  7. Calling a 17-year-old kid you've never met a "diva"
  8. Acting like there is literally no other option out there for these kids besides Ohio State.
  9. Acting like any kid who picks a school that is not Ohio State is making literally the biggest decision of their entire life and thinking that they are terrible people for going to a school that they feel is a better fit.

I was never recruited for a sport or anything, but my college decision was incredibly stressful, and I was really picking from five different schools and a few different majors, some in-state and some out-of-state. I picked Ohio State and I love it here.

Let's not shit-talk a 17-year-old kid for deciding that he likes another system/coaching staff/school better than Ohio State. Or for acting like a normal 17-year-old kid on Twitter.

And that's not even mentioning how this board talks about Jermaine Eluemunor or Alex Anzalone. I get it, they were big targets, both committed (JE was a silent commit) and then switched. So what? Kids have second thoughts all the time. Hell, I remember being a nervous wreck on my way to OSU freshman orientation because I thought I may have made the wrong choice. Once I actually got onto campus I realized that I was home.

Hell, I still take 20 minutes just to pick my order when I go out to eat. But if you want to make fun of a high school kid (or in JE's case, a 20-year-old JUCO kid) for being indecisive, I think it says a lot more about you than it does about them.

So yeah, I agree with Colerain Groveport.

/unnecessary rant.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+10 HS
sox33osu's picture

That was an impressive rant. I agree with you 100%. 

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Thanks bro.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+6 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Well said!

+5 HS
NYCBuckeye's picture

Always nice to see the stampede of message board Mother Teresas riding in on their high horses to pass judgment on a high school kid (Gibson, Crawford, Glover-Williams) that very few (if any)  actually knows personally. But hey, keep propagating that phony Freudian Psychoanalysis, because it's very obvious that anyone with two eyes and half a brain that even the simplest of derelicts can gleam some semblance of truth as to the nature of a kid's character based on a tweet or libelous internet story. Gotta love the internet right?

+3 HS
sox33osu's picture

Did you even read my OP or any of the following posts? Stop acting like a drama queen with your "Freudian psychoanalysis" crap. I got this information from two very strong sources I know, not a tweet or "libelous internet story", and I started a post asking if people still wanted him after this. Do you actually have any kind of constructive input, or are you just going to continue to be a condescending ass?

-6 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Well, Freud thought that everything that anyone did was about how much they wanted to have sex with their mothers, so a Freudian psychoanalysis of a bunch of people on the internet following internet recruiting would probably get pretty weird. Also, Freud has been mostly debunked, if I'm not mistaken.

But hey, that's just my high school psych class speaking. I just think it's hilarious when people bring up Freud to try to gain legitimacy in arguments. Just like how I laugh at dick jokes. Because they're basically the same thing.

+2 HS
sox33osu's picture

^^^ Nailed it.     

-4 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

For what it's worth, I actually agree that we shouldn't speculate. It doesn't accomplish anything, all it does is drag his name through the mud.

sox33osu's picture

I'm not on here asking people if they think this is what happened because I saw some random tweet from someone. I'm asking if people want a player on our team if this is something he does. If I'm overreacting about theft and assault, so be it. However, this is OSU. We don't need to compromise for a kid if this is what he does off the field.

chicagobuckeye's picture

Look, I get your point about just asking but your follow ups have been very strongly against him. I appreciate your insight, but when you continue to tell people who give a legitimate opinion that he is just being young or are reserving judgement it comes across as though you are not listening to their opinion and just want to tell them they are wrong. If you really want to ask a question, then reply once or twice but it seems as though you have made a judgement as opposed to as you say, pass along then information and are simply asking a question. 

+5 HS
sox33osu's picture

The majority of what I'm refuting is when people just say "let's wait for the facts". If that's what you think, fine, but why even bother posting? I think it's a healthy debate to discuss whether or not this sort of behavior is acceptable from a potential future Buckeye, and given all that has happened with our football program over the past few years, I'd say poor behavior is pretty relevant. That's the reason I started the thread in the first place.

-2 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

It's probably a safe assumption to say that we all trust Birm above all on this board. Birm said in this thread that Crawford is a good kid and that the incident was an anomaly, out character. Birm is also literally the only person in this thread who has talked to Crawford.

So why is this even a debate?

+2 HS
Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

"We" don't have any input on whether or not "we" want him. 

"We" don't personally know him. 

Read my entire screen name....

sox33osu's picture

"We" are on a message board, an outlet where "we" can share our opinions on things. "We" don't have control over any part of what the football team does, but "we" are free to come on a message board to discuss items of interest.

-2 HS

Great idea. Lets talk about our opinion of a mistake a 17 year old kid made. Lets talk about a situation we may not know everything about. Lets talk about something that may embarrass the kid even though he may already feel bad enough. Lets do all of this in a public forum, all of it regarding a 17 year old kid. 

I'll tell you what. I stole a keychain from a store one time when i was 17. Debate. Go. 

-1 HS
sox33osu's picture

Dude, if you don't want to discuss this, you don't have to. I don't remember sending you an invitation anyhow.

-2 HS

Dude. Recall this?

"We" are on a message board, an outlet where "we" can share our opinions on things. "We" don't have control over any part of what the football team does, but "we" are free to come on a message board to discuss items of interest.

Since you didn't get the opinion I am sharing, ill restate it. Its none of our business. We don't have any place in his recruitment and we dont know him or the situation enough to speculate. We should leave this type of stuff alone. We know parents and even recruits come on here. This type of stuff and speculation can only make us look really bad.

-3 HS
sox33osu's picture

Right, so you don't think we should be talking about it. Noted. Like I've said, this isn't based on some random internet rumor, and Birm has even come on and acknowledged the incident. If it's none of your business, I understand you not wanting to discuss it, and thank you for your input.

-3 HS

Ok. Fine. Well since you're so in love with pointing out that Birm was on here and acknowledged the incident. Why don't you acknowledge what he said. 

Birm talks to the kid. He knows the kid. He says that we are still interested, that he's a good kid, and this was an isolated mistake. What's left to talk about?  He answered your question. 

Continued banter on this subject is just poor form and as I said before, and similar to tweeting a recruit, there is no good that comes from discussing stuff like this. 

-1 HS
sox33osu's picture

If all I was looking for was confirmation from the staff, I'd of just sent him an email or message or something. I started a thread so all fans could come and discuss what happened... you know... like the point of a message board such as this one. I understand your position of not liking to talk about it. I respectfully disagree, as I feel behavior like this from a kid we may end up signing is a major problem. If you don't feel that way, that is fine.

-3 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

@OPT.:

Comparing stealing a key chain to STEALING PERSONAL PROPERTY and ASSAULT. Good one!

It's bad enough to be wrong, but then to give a snarky, cynical reply to back up your crazy reasoning? That's just stupid.

-10 HS
chicagobuckeye's picture

I guess this is where I'm hung up on your and sox opinion. Isn't a keychain someone's personal property? Could one argue that he took his keychain, then when found out about it walked up behind a kid and pushed him into the locker? Still stealing and assault but the way that sox has painted it, he took his laptop, calculator, iPhone, and cash, then turned to the kid who ratted him out and bashed his head into a locker multiple times. So many on here would like to know which instance or where in the middle this falls before making an assumption on character. 

+1 HS
sox33osu's picture

I'm not trying to act like there's a difference between a keychain or laptop or anything, and I never brought that aspect of this incident up. Theft is one thing. I've even said, if he stole something and then admitted to it and showed remorse, that would be a completely different thing. I'm not condoning theft, but it's far from the worst thing anyone can do. Kids make mistakes, but a good kid at least has the decency to admit when they've done something wrong. My problem is that he did it, and then when someone found out and made it known, his response was to find the kid and assault him. Do you not see the difference? If you think I'm blowing this situation out of proportion, please let me know. 

BierStube's picture

Sox33osu might be a bit overzealous, but he is on the right track.  I do know Shaun's coaches .. the suspension and subsequent end of his track season (at least individual events) is for real.  There is quite a bit of concern from his track team that he has a Shaun first attitude.  This is not unlike many top athletes that have raw natural ability to fall back on when dealing with inferior competition, then once they face some real adversity a true measure of character will be known.  Shaun has been a die hard Michigan fan for years.  Ann Arbor is where he would love to be.  Something has happened with the staunch Hoke stance of no visits after a commitment.  However, seems that everything is a go for Shaun to visit other schools and attend skill camps.  I will certainly trust Urban and Co. to evaluate the Shaun opportunity for what it is, but please do not think this is a slam dunk.  Shaun is a young man and is dealing with semi stardom, family / friend issues, and on the verge of making one of the most important decisions of his life.  I can not speak for EGW or Gibson .. but I would be surprised if their respective stories were all that different.  All of these young men will need the support of their newly adopted families, in someways more than others.

"No matter where you go, there you are." B. Banzai

+6 HS
sox33osu's picture

Thanks Stube. This sort of behavior is what scares me. While I'm not in his shoes, there are literally hundreds of other kids who are that don't go out acting like this each and every year. Like I previously said, playing at OSU is a privilege that a kid doesn't just deserve because he can play well. This sort of behavior in a 17-year old is just a big red flag for me.

-1 HS

If what Sox said is legit...then I'm with Sox on this one: pass, and on to the next one. Ohio State is Ohio State, not Middle Tennessee State. Ohio State can afford to have standards.

+2 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Does Urban want him? Yes. That's all that matters.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+2 HS

People are acting like he's 7...he's 17, pretty much a man. I know immaturity is excusable at that age, but thuggery isn't.

+1 HS

"He's only 17" ... "You can't judge a 17 year old" ... "But, he's just a kid"

Yea, yea, yea, he's "only 17", BUT, he was old enough to (allegedly) make the decision to STEAL from someone. And he was old enough to then trump that crime by (allegedly) ASSAULTING the person who rightfully "ratted" him out. There is really no excuse for that behavior.

And when you think of it in this perspective, it blows the lame and lazy "but he's only 17" excuse out of the water.

+2 HS
1967Buck's picture

I hear what your saying Johnny but he is a young man. In the years to come he will become a Man. Your not a Man at 17. That my friend will come in time. Peace.

+1 HS
sox33osu's picture

I agree with what you're saying, 1967Buck, about him not being a man. He will learn to become a man. However, where I disagree strongly is in this being an excuse. You don't need to be a man to realize the difference between doing right and wrong, and this was 2 incidents, both thought out and executed, showing sincere lack of respect and major maturity issues. When I was 17, I was immature, but I never once considered stealing from a teammate and even worse, assaulting someone who rightfully exposed me for it.

-1 HS
daveyt11's picture

I agree to await the facts and go from there, the hearsay indicates it was pretty bad but as I remember an incident from high school...I saw 2 kids arguing over a parking spot one morning...ended with a few shoves, nothing serious...by the end of the day the rumors were that one kid pulled a knife, said he was gonna kill him etc... I saw the whole thing, none of that happened, but drama usually gets added.

+1 HS

+2 HS
chicagobuckeye's picture

Sox, you may have reported the truth, but as I said before you have not reported the facts. What happened did he turn into the hulk and break a locker with a kids face or did he shove him afterwards and the kid hit into a locker?

you claim you want a "healthy discussion" but at this point you have not brought anything new to the table. You apparently think that without these facts I have asked for we should speculate. You are right that it is an open forum and people are allowed to speak their mind, but if you go through and look at the number of times that you have stated "your opinion" and the number of times someone has told you that they just want to hear what happens it is astronomical.

A forum implies that groups of people come to discuss and repeating your rant about those who need to speculate without being informed doesn't qualify as a forum. I'm sure you are going to respond and tell me how you are able to speak your mind, which you are, but when people question your mind ranting about it doesn't help any better.

your point: what he did was egregious enough to warrant not wanting. He wasted his scholarship offers and Ohio State should hold itself to higher standards.

if you have anything to add to that feel free, but we don't need an 80+ comment forum half of which is you repeating your argument and essentially telling people to speculate, and the other half of people saying they don't want to speculate.

+3 HS
sox33osu's picture

Clearly I've done a poor job of expressing my reason for posting this. I started this thread to get opinions on if these sort of actions are enough of a red flag for us to look elsewhere. If this thread needs to be killed, fine.

Clearly I've struck a nerve with a lot of people for even bringing this up. However, I don't see a problem with posting a thread about something that happened and getting a general idea of how people react to this happening. Most of what I'm seeing is people pissed at me not for my opinion of how we should handle the situation, but because I brought it up without basically having a newspaper article about it to prove it. If your argument is that you think it may not have happened or what did happened is being exaggerated, that's fine. I'm not just speculating based on some random tweet or something. This same explanation for his suspension is being noted by several people close to the Ohio HS track world, so I don't see how it's so far-fetched to make a discussion about it. It's hard to go through here and get an actual response to the incident from people as opposed to people bashing me simply for bringing it up.

If the majority of posters don't want to discuss this because they haven't seen sufficient enough evidence that it happened, so be it. All I was going for was reaction to whether or not this sort of action warrants us looking elsewhere.

-2 HS

For the record sox I went and upvoted all your posts, You expressed an opinion and that is what this great site is about. However people are really touchy when it comes to dissing current,former,or future players even if you had hard facts and a New York Times article to back it up. What you asked is a legitimate question and I'm sure this will have people with their binoculars on trying to see what happens next. You might be unfairly getting DVed but you have to expect that when you are raising the question about our top recruit possibly not being tOSU worthy and such. Hopefully folks will listen to the video I provided above and just "let it go". Its useless trying to defend your stance buddy because people are on edge and we are not recruiting like normal and have already lost one of our biggest recruits. Please just let it die out and live to post another day. I hate to see people take out their frustrations on fellow Buckeye fans.

-2 HS
sox33osu's picture

I'm very quickly seeing your point as being absolute truth, and I went about this entire subject the wrong way. I really wasn't wanting to ruffle feathers but my execution was clearly wrong. I really do appreciate your responses, and I can very clearly see how what I said was jumping the gun and why it upset people. I meant no disrespect, I just wanted to bring up something I thought was very relevant about one of the big-time recruits we are looking into. Thanks again man.

osu07asu10's picture

Clearly I've done a poor job of expressing my reason for posting this. I started this thread to get opinions on if these sort of actions are enough of a red flag for us to look elsewhere. If this thread needs to be killed, fine.

No, in the 29 32 (and counting) posts you've made in this forum topic (that you created) you've made it quite clear that you think his actions were egregious enough that we don't recruit him anymore.

In a majority of those 29 posts, you've reiterated your point and rebuked others for having an opposing view.

Although your reasoning for the post MAY have been to get opinions, your actions have shown it was more about stating your OWN opinion (again and again) and making sure that everyone understands and agrees with it.

+5 HS
sox33osu's picture

Yes, I have made that point, and to the few people who have actually tried to have a dialogue about this with a differing view, I have acknowledged their side and offered reason why I don't fully agree if there was any kind of reason not to. That's called having a discussion involving a healthy debate. Most of the people have come on here basically ripping me for speculating, and to several of them I've said if that is your take then you are entitled to that opinion.

I was hoping that A.) This might spark a conversation on our recruiting methods and that people might come on and say whether or not they think issues like this are a big problem or if they think his talent might outweigh this incident and why, and/or B.) Someone may come on and offer any additional information about what happened if, in fact, what I reported was inaccurate. Instead, I've largely been criticized for speculating and even bringing it up. 

-3 HS
THEOSUfan's picture

Can he guard pass receivers?  If he can, let's recruit him because I saw very few opponent  receivers guarded last year.  If he messes up, Urban has shown the ability to show players who can't behave the door.

+4 HS
sox33osu's picture

What are your thoughts on the potential starting DBs this season? It would seem we can only get better from last season. That was tough to watch. 

-2 HS
THEOSUfan's picture

Grant and Reeves are the guys with some experience.  Apple and Conley provide depth, and then you have the frosh, Webb.

I'm less concerned with who the guys are that are out there as I am with the whole defensive concept.  They were playing mostly a soft defense last year.  Take a step back,  give a cushion, read and react, etc.  Great defenses, if nothing else, are aggressive and they attack the offense.  It's hard to say who is at fault when a defense gives up tons of yards and points.  A soft scheme is often used to try to hide weaknesses in talent.  We know the DL was talented.  We know there were issues at LB.  The secondary was supposed to be a strength.  Something tells me that the DB's suffered from the questions there were at LB.

To properly assign blame (if there is any use in doing that) you would have to know precisely, who/what the weakness was, and how the coaching staff designed the scheme to protect that weakness.  It's just me, but I would have preferred that our defense be aggressively bad as opposed to passively bad, but they chose to be passively bad, and I don't have enough info to know whether that was the right choice or not.

sox33osu's picture

Man did you ever nail it there. That cushioned approach was incredibly frustrating to watch. We seem to have a ton of talent in the defensive backfield, but I'm not sold on Reeves. I'm hoping he takes a big step forward this year, but I'm also really excited to see how the guys like Apple, Conley and also Burrows progress this year. I'm also hoping we are able to play the guys like Webb and Lattimore a lot, especially in the blowout games that I'm sure we will see. It'd be great to see how they respond to teams passing on us like crazy if we're ahead by a lot. I love Webb's skillset, and I think Lattimore is also really special. You're definitely right about the approach, though. You can have all of the talent in the world and it means nothing if they aren't coached right.

osu07asu10's picture

Most of the people have come on here basically ripping me for speculating, and to several of them I've said if that is your take then you are entitled to that opinion.

I actually see very few posts where any post was ripping you personally, I don't see any posts ripping you for bringing the information.

I see many folks that simply said let us wait and see. I see posts that say 1 mistake does not make the kid. and then.,...

I see you responding to every single post that doesn't agree with you to reiterate your point that he is a bad apple, his actions are inexcusable, you would never do it, we shouldn't recruit him, and how can people not see your point?

+1 HS
sox33osu's picture

I never said anyone made personal attacks, man. Look, I'm beating a dead horse trying to get my initial objective across to you. To the people who have actually commented on the incident at hand and how they think we should approach it, or to those who have input on him (good or bad), I've acknowledged it. I haven't made any personal attacks on anyone for having the opinion they have. If they disagree with my opinion, all I'm trying to do is spark a conversation on it. How is it that if I make a point, someone disagrees with me, and I counter, I'm suddenly in the wrong? Isn't that not how a conversation/debate goes? I'm giving logical reasoning for my opinion in hopes that will result in logical responses, whether they agree or disagree. My disagreeing with someone doesn't mean I'm trying to be rude.

-5 HS
chicagobuckeye's picture

Because asu and I are saying the same thing I will try one more time to explain it. You are right in how discussion and conversations work, but the 30+ posts you have either say the exact same thing about him being a problem, or justifying your posts. For your counter, other than this being an issue, is there anything else that the other 30 posts haven't covered? I'm all for discussion and it wasn't the news you talked about but more that instead of asking the question and stating your opinion you have beaten a dead horse over the topic. 

+1 HS
sox33osu's picture

No explanation needed. I've understood what you are saying for quite some time now. It seems, though, that me defending my opinion is being taken as me not understanding what you're saying. Yes, I've repeated myself several times. Mostly it has been because it seems like a lot of responses weren't about the actual situation at hand, but moreso because I posted it. At least that's how it came off to me. 

This has been an absolute misfire on my part and I realize the majority of it is my fault. It just got derailed when there were the several posters coming in with either "let the coaches figure it out", or attacking me for trying to be some moral elitist when I wasn't at all. I understand fully the coaches will figure it out. The entire reason, once again, that I made this thread was to discuss what happened and to get the reaction from everyone else on how you think we should handle his recruitment. Yes, the dead horse has been beaten enough so I guess it is time to just kill this thread altogether. While I understand why so many people got ruffled by what I said, it wasn't my intention, and I still don't see anything wrong with making the thread (and I'm not saying you are one of those people who said it was, I appreciate your input above and I tried to address it as well).

-2 HS
1MechEng's picture
Here's the video ...  ;)
Beating a dead horse!

+6 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

It is literally Sox's avatar.

+2 HS
bethesdabuck's picture

This thread needs some Immodium A-D pronto!

osubuck57's picture

Thread is irrelevant now. Crawford has cancelled his visit !! Looks like Notre Dame bound per Bucknuts. Josh Barajas has flipped to Notre Dame from PSU as well, per Bucknuts. Notre Dame looks like the flavor of the week this week.

SCOTTC.