Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Torrance Gibson Reaction to the Commitment of Joe Burrow

BlazeTheBuckeye's picture
May 28, 2014 at 8:43am
132 Comments

Being reported that he called 247sports.com and asked them to move Ohio State from "warmer" to "warm" and to move Auburn from "warm" to Warmer" on his profile. Just wanted to pass along the info.

kgratz's picture

If true, then I'm starting to lose interest.  I think he's an unbelievable athlete, but is he a quarterback that can win us a national championship? I'm not sure.  I'm also afraid that if he goes elsewhere we might hurt ourselves with Kirk and Harris.

How Firm Thy Friendship

+7 HS
Toilrt Paper's picture

Due to the negative reactions of Buckeye Nation?

+1 HS
kgratz's picture

Due to the fact that they have tweeted/talked about playing with each other in college.  Gibson and Harris talk about being in the same backfield together pretty often.  If Gibson goes to Tennessee I think it's hard to believe they don't also pull Harris and then Kirk says I want to play with best QB and best RB so he goes there too.  Domino Effect. 

How Firm Thy Friendship

Poison nuts's picture

It's all great to tweet back & forth about what you wanna do & who you wanna play with but at the end of the day, you play where you think you'll have the best chance to succeed. If those kids are individuals at all, they'll do what's best for their careers. Also, there's a season to be played. If Tennessee is a dog again, I wouldn't worry about them. What I would worry about...bagmen.

"Do not pass me, just slow down - I can move right through you" Superchunk - Precision Auto.

+1 HS
kgratz's picture

It's all great to tweet back & forth about what you wanna do & who you wanna play with but at the end of the day, you play where you think you'll have the best chance to succeed.

If you're the number one rated RB and WR and the number one QB was committed to a school that wouldn't have an influence on you? I think that would give them a great chance to succeed.  That's why having a guy like Harris/Kirk/Gibson committ to you and be a leader is such a big deal. Winners want to play with winners.

How Firm Thy Friendship

jamesrbrown322's picture

With the RBs that Tenn pulled in last year, Harris wouldn't go there IMO.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

kgratz's picture

Hurd is overrated and a lot of people have said Harris was best running back last year regardless of class.

How Firm Thy Friendship

dubjayfootball90's picture

If true, I don't see how you would be deterred because of competition. Look at the school, look at the academics, look at life after football, and look to push yourself to even greater heights, no matter who is already there. I mean, we have Jones and Barrett already in the fold, with Collier... Wherever you go there will be competition.

That being said, I don't think I put too much stock into this. I am hoping TG picks the good guys, and I am going to be taking this report with a grain of salt. I just don't see a competitive kid doing that. But maybe that is just me...

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.

+4 HS
stittracer99's picture

Well his 247 player profile certainly seems to reflect this change as noted by Blaze

http://247sports.com/Player/Torrance-Gibson-21466

Also noteworthy is JC Schurburtt flipped his crystal ball pick from the good guys to Auburn yesterday afternoon after the Burrow news broke.

+1 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

Correlation =/= Causation

Absent evidence otherwise it's entirely reasonable to conclude the story was concocted as a result of the change.

+3 HS
kholmes's picture

This auburn article on 247 specifically states that Gibson did contact 247 to request changing OSU from "warmer" to warm. Article is written by one of their national writers (Ryan Bartow) so doesnt appear to be just some "homer" analyst making a story up.

http://auburn.247sports.com/Bolt/QB-dominoes-taking-effect-Latest-on-5-s...

+6 HS
SilverState's picture

Do recruits typically initiate this kind of thing? Never heard of it before?

+1 HS
Soggy_McMuffin's picture

I don't want anybody afraid of competition! Possibility of losing out on Kirk and Harris, sucks but I'd rather have a guy not afraid of comp. And a guy that welcomes it

Gooz-fra-bah...

+2 HS
Bolt's picture

Definitely a fair point, but it could also be that the coaching staff has been telling him that he's their one and only and their only priority at QB and he just sees it as a sign of Urban and co. being disingenuous with him more so than he is afraid of competition. Obviously it's pure speculation but whatever. Just gotta get him up to CBus for a visit.

+1 HS
HotSauceCommittee's picture

I was wondering the same thing? Seems out of the ordinary and needless self promotion to contact a recruiting site. Does this happen often? Birm, Jordan and team do HS players request these type of things from you?

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Well, if he wants to go somewhere else, so be it.

Let's be cold and honest for a second. If a 5-star QB who is arguably the best athlete in his class is deterred by a 3-star QB committing to a school, what does that say? Is he that insecure about competition? I don't know. It's his decision. But if he is that upset about a player at his position, who allegedly is not nearly the player he is, committing, then maybe he's just not that motivated. Or, perhaps, he wanted to be the ONLY QB in OSU's class, and thought that they wouldn't be able to get anyone else?

Who knows?

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

+23 HS
1MechEng's picture

If a 5-star QB who is arguably the best athlete in his class is deterred by a 4-star 3-star QB committing to a school, what does that say?

Fixed it for you.  :)

+4 HS
buckskin's picture

At least 1 recruiting site has him as a 3 star.

Rjpfish2's picture

10th best at his position according to the composite... Florida St., Clemson(2), Wisky, Iowa, & Sparty all have pledges from lower-ranked dual-threat QB's, fwiw. Go Bucks!

http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&Position=DUAL

+1 HS

reported by JC Schuburtt of 247sports.com

Hardly home but always reppin

SilverState's picture

Do you have a link, really want to see this...

kholmes's picture

See my post above for link.

+2 HS
SilverState's picture

Thanks KH.

This is for anyone:  have you ever heard of a recruit actively contacting a recruiting service to tweak their profile? Just reeks of being too in love with one's recruitment process, but maybe it's fairly typical. I could see how it could be used as leverage for certain recruits to influence schools, but Gibson has no need for leverage.

+3 HS
rdubs's picture

No first hand knowledge, but this would not surprise me at all.  This is their opportunity to market themselves, might as well be able to control the message than have people make stuff up about you.

BuckeyeJ's picture

According to JC this morning they do call 247 and change things. He said makes his job easier lol. 

I'm thinking this is just a kid and his first reaction. I think that when he talks to Urban all things will be well again.

Hardly home but always reppin

Buckeye Knight's picture

TG, KIrk, and Harris would be a crazy trio at OSU.  I'm surprised they aren't talking to each other about the possibilities of working together in Urban's system.  I thought TG and Harris wanted to play at the same school?

-1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

But OSU got Burrow. Now Gibson won't want to play here. Then Harris will go with Gibson. Kirk is staying out west. Then Baker, Hilliard, and Burrell will not want to play here. Then, Dean, EGW, and Burrow jump off the Titanic, and we're left with zero recruits for 2015!!!

NOOOOOO!

+11 HS
My2Sons's picture

LOL !  I'm glad to see that someone has a grasp of this whole thing.

-1 HS
LouBuck35's picture

Maybe I'm just getting old (30), but I'm just meh on the recruiting process.  I used to get pretty invested in landing the top guys, but then I think back to how my mind worked (or didn't) when I was in high school. I won't hang my emotions on any 17 year old's day to day fluctuations in attitude.  I love the work done by the 11W staff and really enjoy reading their updates on the upcoming class, but if we get a guy - great! If we don't, then we don't.  Top 20 lists and tweets and Elite camps are all fine and well, but you'll receive my investment when you sign on the line in February.

I want a fall Saturday in Ohio Stadium..

+7 HS
Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

My sentiment exactly.  I get excited when we get a commitment, I'm meh on everything else.

Read my entire screen name....

+1 HS
Northbrook's picture

Feeling as though they are not getting the respect they deserve from a school seems to be a common theme with some of the recruits. I suppose they can develop a skewed view on things fueled by the immense amount of attention they are given. I'm not sure I would have been able to handle it well at that age. Hard to act like an adult when you are not an adult. Dealing with that would make me want to go coach in the NFL.

+2 HS
EwanJobi's picture

It's hard to get too worked up considering he still hasn't actually made a visit up here.

+9 HS
OSU2002Grad's picture

Coaching staff has to do what it has to do. Gibson is a remarkable talent, but we need a quarterback in this class and waiting any longer was probably not an option. We look good next year for one of the top QBs in the nation so it could end upworking out.

Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

I think you're overlooking the QB we just landed in THIS year's class.  Burrow is loaded with potential.

Read my entire screen name....

+2 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

I wonder if UT losing a backup QB has impacted him at all. As I said in another post, believe it or not, OSU has better depth at QB. Perhaps that is scaring Gibson away.

Don't forget that OSU gets Clark in 2017. So, if they get only one this year, and one in 2016, they'll be just fine.

P.S. - From what I see, despite the comparisons, Gibson is not Pryor.

EwanJobi's picture

Our new commit, Burrows, reminds me a little of Pryor. He has that deceptive speed and long stride. Now if only he can bulk up and add that stiff arm...

TheBadOwl's picture

Burrows reminds me a lot of Teddy Bridgewater, but with better size. The way he moves in the pocket is very similar to how Bridgewater does.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

-1 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

I think Burrows is more like Alex Smith. Smith is also 6'4'' and around 210. Plus I think Burrows can throw more accurately than TP. In his highlights he threw an awesome pass after escaping a collapsing pocket and while on the run (and it wasn't across his body which is a cardinal mistake). Most of the time TP did that he threw up arm punts.

and I do believe he has a bit of Manziel in him too. The kid sure has a good feel for the pocket and how to maneuver around. I wonder what his hand size is because that is starting to be common in the better QBs recently. Bridgewater is an exception and he wears gloves.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

EwanJobi's picture

Yeah, I get the Alex Smith comparison. I guess I was reacting to his highlight reel when he was running vertically. It brought back some good memories.

bigDbuck's picture

Have said before and was heavily battered for it, but will put my foot in mouth again. This guy is a little full of himself, not even sure if TP was this much of a me me guy. He is going to have a major wake up call once he goes to whatever school he picks. And some guys never make it out of the BS they created for themselves, see Ryan Perrilloux. Who was actually a better QB.

+14 HS

don't underestimate TP. He was extremely me me when being recruited. He had Penn State on their knees the whole time and loved every minute of it.

I certainly don't have a problem with it. I don't mind a QB that wants the attention and the spotlight and has an ego. I think that is required as long as he is also coachable. The thing about Manziel that many don't want to admit, despite his showmanship and ego, he is still very coachable. He does have a strong love and desire for the game.

I would love to have Gibson on the team as long as he is also coachable. If he wants to be a winner, I don't mind this stuff. I kind of also think Gibson is playing around a bit and having fun with the whole thing. Don't get me wrong, I think he has an ego I just think he is also playing games with people too.

-2 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

If I was an NFL coach, my biggest concern would be that Manziel would burn himself out off the field.  Guys that party that hard usually end up fizzling out.

well of course, or they don't commit as much as other QBs do and you see the lack of preparation during a long career. Many QBs had the talent but are career backups because they are more concerned with enjoying life than making football their life. I think Manziel will be a fine QB, but I'm not quite sure he is going to be like Manning or Brady level. That doesn't mean he won't have a good career.

+1 HS
OSU069's picture

I think this is just his first reaction to it. I'm pretty sure Auburn has another QB committed already. I think we will still be in it with Gibson until the end. 

Shangheyed's picture

Still a ways off from him making a decision, if he doesnt schedule a visit will not happen.... get him some face time with Meyer and Braxton as well let him see the facilities... we should make the top 5 he would be a great fit for the QB position in spread option.  

We will have a stable of great QBs to choose from, as will every top 10 program.... Its a matter of making the personal connection starts with a visit, otherwise even what we hear today means nothing for or against Gibson coming to C-Bus 

-1 HS
Gametime's picture

I'm among the group of us here who was never really sold on Torrance Gibson. He is a hell of an athlete, but whenever I look at his passing statistics and his early evaluations as a passer on 247, it makes me cringe.

I mean everyone falls in love with the athlete: 6'4" 200lbs, 4.5 40 time - the arm strength, but really look at his early evaluations - Accuracy - 4, Footwork - 6, Pocket Presence - 6, Release - 6. Then passing for 1800 yards at a 56% clip in a day and age when QBs are supposed to be coming in more "passer ready" isn't really reassuring.

There's a reason why now he's looked at as an ATH in the class rather than a DT-QB.

I love the commit from Burrow, but I still hope we get a commit from Travis Waller with speculation that Kyler Murray is in play for Oregon - especially if he's coming here to camp in June. 

Between goals and achievement is discipline and consistency. That fire you have inside to do whatever you love is placed there by God. Now go claim it. ~ Denzel Washington

+2 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

I don't think anyone thought he could come in and start right away(unless it was at WR). It's more of what he could be by year 2 or 3.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

He'd start at Tennessee...have you seen their passing game? This recruitment reminds me a lot of how PSU and scUM needed Pryor more than OSU did.

+2 HS
OSU069's picture

Yep. And who ended up getting him? I think we need to remain patient with Gibson's recruitment. We already have a solid QB in this class. If Gibson also commits great, we have a 5-star athlete who is extremely talented and could end up being an awesome QB or WR. If not, it would be a little disappointing obviously but we will be fine because we have Joe Burrow in the fold already. 

+2 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

He'd start at Tennessee...

So would Bauserman.

I was only referring to Ohio State.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+5 HS
Gametime's picture

Yea, I'm not a big fan of developing passers though. Give me the kid who was throwing for 3000 yards at a 67-70% clip & rushing for 500+ yards all day and twice on Saturday; rather than the kid who's rushing for 1500 yards and passing for 1800 yards at 55%. 

Between goals and achievement is discipline and consistency. That fire you have inside to do whatever you love is placed there by God. Now go claim it. ~ Denzel Washington

+4 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

[Troy] Smith threw for 969 yards and 12 touchdowns in his senior year.

So, you never know....

+4 HS
buckeyedude's picture

I think you're looking for a Craig Krenzel or Joe Germaine. I hope that's what we have with this Burrow kid.

brandonbauer87's picture

As someone looking for a more polished passer, this doesn't bother me. I'll trade an accurate arm for a little less speed/agility. 

+4 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

My two pennies: If a commitment from Burrow is enough to put Gibson off OSU, he was never going to be a Buckeye.

+39 HS
sivaDavis's picture

Yeah forsure. Didn't seem like he was swayed from Tennessee when Jauan Jennings committed so if a commitment from an in state 3-4 star QB can scare Gibson, maybe he isn't the man for Ohio State. I'll take JB whose already trying to recruit and be a leader for the Elite 15 class. 

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+2 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

So true,and Tenn and Auburn both have QB's already too so why wouldnt they be held to the same standard?

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

osunut2's picture

Tennessee's QB situation is terrible, for the record. Three different guys started at QB last year, and there is no clear cut starter going forward. Justin Worley started the most games last year and is a senior. Josh Dobbs is a sophomore and got a chance to start a few games at the end of last season. Nathan Peterman is a sophomore and started against Florida last year (looked terrible against the Gators and was pulled in the first half). The "expected" starter for 2014 was redshirt freshman Riley Ferguson (redshirted last year due to injury), but it was announced yesterday that he is leaving the team for good. The QB situation in Knoxville is an absolute train wreck, and they are dying to pull in a bluechip QB recruit who can lead the team in 2015. Jajuan Jennings is likely to play a different position at Tennessee, based on what I've read, so they haven't filled their huge need for a QB in this class.

"Without winners, there wouldn't even be any god-d*mned civilization." 

Jennings committed with a "promise" that he will start his college career as a QB,So they have guys who actually have starts under their belt and if Brax stays healthy we will have 2 QBs to compete with that have a combined zero starts.It will be interesting to see how things shake out and you are correct they are desperate for a top notch QB but what team isnt. If one of their younger guys explodes on the scene it could make things interesting.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

osunut2's picture

No disagreement there. After this season, the QB job is obviously wide open here. Shouldn't be difficult to convince a top-notch QB prospect to come to Columbus.

With Worley graduating, Peterman playing bench-warmer, and Ferguson transferring, Dobbs is the big question mark for Tennessee going forward, especially with no other QBs on the roster. Dobbs is a brilliant kid (engineering student) with decent mobility and a good arm, but obviously very young. I had heard that Jennings was promised a shot at QB next year, but all of the prep chatter I've heard here in Knoxville points to him ending up at another position.

"Without winners, there wouldn't even be any god-d*mned civilization." 

+1 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

Warm is ok considering he's never been on campus. 

+11 HS
sivaDavis's picture

Haha can't believe this story is true. He needs to come back down to Earth a little bit. It's always good for a young kid to reach for the sky, but he needs to make sure his head doesn't get stuck in the clouds. 

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
allinosu's picture

Gibson appears to be a wide receiver playing QB. His accuracy ratings are low. With his athletic ability it he looks to be a talented tall wide reciever.

+3 HS
WhySoSerious's picture

Lol this guy.. I'm sorry but an a hole move. Your an consensus 5* with every college wanting your signature and your worried about a lil comp. TG not a good look my man. 

Rare&Uncommon

Like the ball in the stands, we balls out

+4 HS
kgratz's picture

After watching Burrow's film he can definitely move.  Not elite speed but definitely suitable for our offense.  With a year or two of Coach Mick could he be.... dare I say.... Timmy Tebow v2.0?

In the 2.0 Update the quarterback can now throw the ball very accurately with his right hand.

How Firm Thy Friendship

Unky Buck's picture

But if he does a jump pass, he'll be dead to me...

+3 HS
kgratz's picture

what if it's a jump pass to beat an $EC team in the National Championship? Preferably Bama.

How Firm Thy Friendship

+2 HS
Unky Buck's picture

Ahhh damn it...

+8 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Didn't Braxton do a jump pass back in 2012?

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+2 HS
lsjSnail's picture

I know Guiton did against Purdue

tdible2132's picture

FWIW I feel like this means absolutely nothing. Still a long way to go, and a lot is going to change along the way. Perhaps he wanted 247 to reflect his top 2 from his last list. Either way, if OSU is still top 5 when he releases his top 7 this week then I'd argue nothing has changed. Do I feel good about landing him? Not exactly. But if we can get him on campus over the summer then I'll like our chances. I just feel like there are going to be quite a few twists and turns to come in the recruitment of "TG6". OSU and TEN are his only 2 certain official visits after all.

+3 HS
teddyballgame's picture

He might make it up here ONCE and by then he'll probably have visited Auburn and Tenn multiple times.  His interest is shifting away from us and making up the ground will be an uphill battle imo. 

-1 HS
armyvet83's picture

If Gibson comes to Ohio State fine...IF not I'm OK with that as well. This is the way of the recruiting. I want guys that want to be Buckeyes without all of the drama.

In addition, he has known the staff was planning on taking TWO QBs in this class.

+6 HS
kmp10's picture

I'll take Burrow. An Ohio kid who obviously grew up, like many of us, dreaming of playing for the Buckeyes. He gets it. He gets The Rivalry, the B1G title and the Rose Bowl. He gets the tradition, the Buckeye leaves, Carmen Ohio and Buckeye grove. He'll be playing for his home state, his family and the university he grew up cheering for. He seems humble, grounded and a solid citizen. As for Gibson, if you're hesitant to compete for the position you hope to play in college, well, Ohio State, especially under Urban Meyer, probably isn't for you anyway...

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

An Ohio kid who obviously grew up, like many of us, dreaming of playing for the Buckeyes. He gets it.

Actually, his dad played at Nebraska, and he grew up as a massive Cornhuskers fan. He felt slighted that they never offered. Obviously he's 100% Buckeye now, but he's one of those rare kids who did not grow up as an OSU fan in-state.

+9 HS
Mi.Buckeye's picture

If Nebraska offers, do you think he flips and then we are back to 2?

TheBadOwl's picture

Not pretending to have any knowledge whatsoever, but I highly doubt it. From a logistical standpoint, he is much closer to Columbus, and on top of that, we have a much better program anyways.

Brutus' Left Nut's picture

Nebraska has more stabilty.  Pelini isn't going anywhere any time soon and seems really happy.

+3 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Whoever runs Pelini's twitter account is actually a comedic genius, by the way.

Unky Buck's picture

His cat does.

+4 HS
kmp10's picture

I stand corrected. I was unaware of his Nebraska connection, thanks for the information.

teddyballgame's picture

I think we all got a little too enamored with TG.  I no longer view him as the "MUST GET" of this class.  Baker, Hilliard, Harris are more important to me...

I think he stays in the south and eventually becomes a WR.

-1 HS
Phutatorius's picture

Another possibility is Gibson communicated to the coaches that he was digging Auburn a lot, the coaches went out and gave Burrow an offer that he promptly accepted, and then Gibson disclosed to 24-7 what the staff already knew.

+1 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

Warm and Warmer are both varying degrees of heat. I wouldn't worry about this change in temperature.

Besides, unless Gibson actually visits OSU, which who knows if that will even happen, I'm not counting on him being a member of the 2015 class.

+5 HS
Danify's picture

All I want from a quarterback is the ability to stand tall in the pocket, be accurate for our speedy playmakers to shine (Wilson, Brown, Samuel), good vision and lastly, use his feet as a last resort. That's what I love about Joe Burrow, he's the perfect type of quarterback for a team filled with playmakers. I mean, I love Braxton Miller for his running ability, but at times it seems he could be better off using the check down pass instead of running the ball 20 times a game.

+2 HS
HouseHarleyBuilt's picture

Terrelle Pryor was the number one dual threat QB recruit, but he produced zero national championships. Craig Krenzel was NOT a 5 star recruit, yet he produced a national championship. Ratings mean nothing, and I'm happy as hell with Burrow.

+8 HS
B1G_Deal's picture

some people say no Gipson may hurt Osu chance with Kirk the WR from Arzona

but 1 say if ur  hot prospect ,, why worry bout what other player who may or may not even pan out do ....be your owwn Man ,, it pay off in the end

+2 HS
sivaDavis's picture

B1G, I'm really wondering if you are a 60-70 year old man, or a middle aged Korean man who happens to love the Buckeyes. Either way I enjoy reading your posts and struggling to find out what you are trying to say.

+9 HS
WhySoSerious's picture

Lol true true.

Rare&Uncommon

+1 HS
WhySoSerious's picture

Lol true true.

Rare&Uncommon

zebiraross's picture

It's been a long time since I laughed this hard. ..

Zeb

+1 HS
EwanJobi's picture

I'd like to believe he looks something like this...

FROMTHE18's picture

A lot of attention has been pointed at Gibson to Auburn. Long way to go with everything, but until he gets on campus, Im not going to worry about what his decision is as if he does not come to Columbus then he isn't OSU bound. As much as I love Gibson's athleticism and what it may be able to do for OSU's offense, I was on the Wimbush over Gibson bandwagon as we don't need a RB who plays QB, we need a QB who can run effectively when needed. From what Ive read about Burrow is that he is a true dual-threat QB and Ill be interested to see how he develops between now and when he gets on campus. A lot of talk about how he is underrated and I have yet to see his commitment being talked about as a bad decision. In fact, it seems many 'experts' feel its a perfect fit. If Gibson chooses elsewhere, I won't be disappointed now that we got a QB in the class. Im more focused on Hilliard, Kilby-Lane, and Van Jefferson. Id love for all 3 to be a part of the class while Gibson would be a nice addition, but not necessarily as much of a 'must have' as the others IMO. One last thing: Gibson loves attention and although I have no clue what type of dude he is (by all reports he is a very solid person, even with his latest mishap), but the dude loves the spotlight and I want a humble leader (dare I say, Tebow-ish) over another TP type. 

+3 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

I want a humble leader (dare I say, Tebow-ish)

I know he's not popular with a lot of people, but if Burrow, or anyone on the roster for that matter, turns out to be Tim Tebow,  Meyer will win at least 2 titles at OSU. Lock it up.

ab1993's picture

I honestly don't think it'll hurt our chances with Kirk. He seems very mature for his age and doesn't seem like the type to follow others.

BGSUBucksFan's picture

Cleveland.com reporting a phone interview with Gibson Wednesday morning saying that nothing changes and he expects competition:

"It really doesn't have an effect on me.  I'll go out and give the best that I can and take the starting position."

Gotta have faith in the coaching staff if they can get him on campus.

+6 HS
teddyballgame's picture

So nothing changed, but as soon as Burrow committed he contacted 247 and had them lower his interest level on OSU raise it for Auburn. Today he realizes that it looked bad to react like that so he's going around saying the "right things".  If you want to be naive and believe he wasn't affected then go ahead, but you'd have to be downright crazy to think he'd actually tell the truth and say something like "Yeah, that Joe Burrow kid sort of rattled me yesterday..."

-1 HS
BuckeyeJ's picture

I am alright either way with Gibson 

lets offer Stevens or Jones (Waller is a duck IMO). 

Does TG think he will start over JT or Cardell? Or collier? 

AlwayzABuckeye614's picture

Didnt TG say in a past interview that he knew Osu wanted to take 2 QB's in 2015 and that it didnt matter to him and the competition? His warmer to warm certainly contradicts that. 

+5 HS
BucksFan2000's picture

Good point.  Most people on these boards before this week: "TG is a stud!  We need him in this class!"  Those same people after one site changed his temperature status: "Let's face it, TG guy is overrated anyway.  Really a WR.  Not a competitor.  Don't want him now."

If we land TG, those same people will be saying "National Championship here we come!"

+1 HS
otrain2416's picture

He hasn't even visited us yet, so I could really care less if he has us at freezing cold on his 247 profile. If he doesn't want to compete for a spot and earn his starting role, I'll pass. I want a winner and competitor who isn't afraid of competition. 

+3 HS
Soggy_McMuffin's picture

Up vote for you! 

Gooz-fra-bah...

hodge's picture

My god this thread will be funny if he commits to us.

Who cares if his interest in OSU has dropped from "Warmer" to "Warm"?  Gibson still hasn't visited us yet, and we haven't been in his top two for some time now (which should change when he visits) -- his list on 247 finally reflects that now.  I'm pretty sure that he knew that OSU was looking to take 2 QBs this cycle, and that he was their top priority (which its obvious that is still the case).  I have an incredibly hard time thinking that he did this out of spite; to me, it appears far more likely that -- regardless of Burrows' decision -- Gibson had been meaning to do this for some time.

+10 HS
Poison nuts's picture

Maybe, but..timing.

btw - I have no opinion on the matter. Just happy someone stepped up & wants to lead.

"Do not pass me, just slow down - I can move right through you" Superchunk - Precision Auto.

+1 HS
Mi.Buckeye's picture

I still want Gibson because I think we have a greater chance to land Harris and Kirk.

+4 HS
teddyballgame's picture

I'm not worried about it.  Harris and Kirk are genuinely interested in OSU with or without Gibson.

+1 HS
ISURVIVEDCOOPER's picture

Let's remind ourselves that verbal or no, all of this is conjecture and a game of probabilities until they sign on the dotted line and enroll.  As much as I care about the quality of our recruits, in the end, as UFM has stated, a verbal really only means you are in their top 3 until they sign for you... so if Gibson comes, great.  If Gibson doesn't come, great, too.

"I don't apologize for anything.  When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Silver Bullet 10's picture

Burrow reminds me of another former 3 star: Bryce Petty of Baylor.

Buck Commander's picture

Piss or get off the pot TG Time waits for no man!

Every time I set my DVR to record Biggest Loser......It always records Wolverine Football Games!

+1 HS
Buckeye_in_SEC_country's picture

Just my opinion... But Gibson isn't coming to OSU. Burrows will be our 2015 QB. The staff needs to go all out on Haskins for 2016 and we will be set. 14: Collier. 15: Burrows 16: Haskins 17: Clark. That's not bad at all and those guys will have plenty of time to learn behind JT Barrett. 

+3 HS
SilverState's picture

Torrance retweeted this: 

+2 HS
Soggy_McMuffin's picture

Tweet that to him!  Haha

Gooz-fra-bah...

+1 HS

Yea somebody that uses that devil twitter contact Gibson and ask him if he knew tOSU was taking 2 QB's and he isnt afraid of competition then why did he contact 247 and rivals to drop our interest? I'd like to see his response tweet to that.

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

No this is a tweet I can clearly jump on board with.............

+1 HS
Buckeye06's picture

Very interesting that OSU has gotten the last 3 CBs for Waller this afternoon including Shurbutt.

Maybe TG isn't in the cards for us

TheBadOwl's picture

Waller named us his leader today, and said that he feels that Oregon is using him as a last resort. He also said that he is more than willing to compete with Burrow, and that the coaches said that he's their #1 QB prospect.

If anything, Waller saying that he's OSU's top guy at QB probably pissed Gibson off enough to drop his interest, NOT Burrow's commitment.

+4 HS
hodge's picture

"If anything, Waller saying that he's OSU's top guy at QB probably pissed Gibson off enough to drop his interest, NOT Burrow's commitment."

Now that could make sense -- especially if the staff actually said it.

skid21's picture

the coaches said that he's their #1 QB prospect.

Have they even offered him?

+2 HS
teddyballgame's picture

They haven't officially offered him yet, but it's probably due to the fact that he's 2000 miles away and everyone knows he wants an Oregon offer.  He would probably have to visit OSU first and get a little more invested before they can take him serious enough to extend an offer.

WhySoSerious's picture

Well that's encouraging. A lot of crystal ball picks today saying Waller to OSU. I bet we get all 3. TG has an athlete, get out there and play some wide out man. 

Rare&Uncommon

+1 HS
Soggy_McMuffin's picture

Up vote , but TG to into himself to commit with two QBs!

Gooz-fra-bah...

allinosu's picture

I'm for TG being a wide receiver. Don't want a situation like up north.

+1 HS
hobochops987's picture

I hope we get Burrow and Waller and call it a day.

Trust in UFM

+4 HS
allinosu's picture

I like it but have to offer Waller first.

jamesrbrown322's picture

I want whatever prospects will bring a national title back to the cradle of football! If that means Burrow, TG, Waller, Harris, Crawford, EGW, who cares? I am tired as hell of the SEC, especially having to live here! Whatever players it takes, within reason, to win a national championship, that's who I want. Gibson is a phenomenal athlete, and an unpolished QB. In the right system he could flourish. People probably had the same issues with Troy Smith, and it worked out pretty well.

+2 HS
Mi.Buckeye's picture

I want whatever prospects will bring a national title back to the cradle of football!

I wish I wasn't limited to one upvote!

zebiraross's picture

What does Gibson expect? Naming us #4 or whatever showed our staff where we stood. Does he expect UFM to sit with his thumb up his *** waiting to jump up the list while there is no visit even scheduled?

Zeb

+2 HS
buckeyedude's picture

My interest in Torrance Gibson's recruitment has gone from warm to cool.

+5 HS