Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Torrance Gibson Suspended From Team?

AngryWoody's picture
May 22, 2014 at 9:04pm
106 Comments

I'll just leave it at this:

Could just be suspended from spring game, or it could be more. Hopefully it is nothing serious.

OSUCLAY519's picture

Is this for real?

AngryWoody's picture

I have every reason to think so. Andy Slater is a local sports broadcaster in the Miami area and has connections to Torrance's high school coaches and teammates. I wouldn't post it if it were being tweeted by some random dude.

Our Honor Defend!

+6 HS
Buck Commander's picture

WTF??????

Every time I set my DVR to record Biggest Loser......It always records Wolverine Football Games!

jeremytwoface's picture

Yikes....

The first man gets the Oyster, the second man gets the shell.

Buck Commander's picture

Just Googled it and found nothing yet????????????

Every time I set my DVR to record Biggest Loser......It always records Wolverine Football Games!

BuckToAsT's picture

Maybe because the national media doesn't typically cover high school kids getting suspended from team/school.

To us, this is HUGE news, but to the rest of the world, it is just a HS kid getting into trouble.

+2 HS
Danify's picture

Will have to see what he was suspended for. However, this isn't good imho.

+1 HS
BassDropper's picture
-10 HS
clogan1032's picture

You don't even know if this is true or not not the circumstances. Stop being a lemming and wait for some real information before passing on the number one qb. Saw it on twitter from one guy so we know it's 10o0% legit. 

+1 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

SoapDropper quit being a CLOWN! We don't know the background  information yet bubba.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+4 HS
BassDropper's picture

didn't edit. go to sleep

DIRECTIONER

-4 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Link?

Way to edit that. XD

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+2 HS
nebraskafaninwi's picture

He wasn't on the spring game roster or something like that so that is what tipped it off and lead to the search. 

OSUCLAY519's picture

Has anyone seen B/R's article about Ohio State and Torrance Gibson? It was ridiculous.

+2 HS
AngryWoody's picture

I saw it and blood shot out of my eye sockets.

Our Honor Defend!

+3 HS
Buck Commander's picture

B/R are Buckeye Haters

OSUCLAY519's picture

Actually I heard that TG is just suspended for the High school's spring game, but not sure.

+2 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Wait, high schools have spring games??

+1 HS
osu407's picture

It varies by state

jeremytwoface's picture

Next thing you know, they will be recruiting players out of middle school...............

+9 HS
skid21's picture

It is sounded like he was suspended from spring ball.

osu407's picture

Is this different/new than what we already discussed (honest question, not sarcasm)?

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/forum/ohio-state-recruiting/2014/04/35274/...

BrowardBuckeye's picture

Same incident that I posted about a few weeks ago. He was close to getting expelled, but he has a great mentor in Coach Rumph who went to bat for him. Assuming there are no other incidents, TG will be reinstated after spring ball.

+3 HS
osu407's picture

Thank you for the clarification. 

BrowardBuckeye's picture

No problem my Buckeye brethren.

+1 HS
AngryWoody's picture

I'm 99% sure this is a new issue considering he said he missed the last two days of school and was waiting to hear back from the school.. It seems weird he would just now be missing school for something that happened over a month ago.

Our Honor Defend!

BrowardBuckeye's picture

Trust me...if this was a new incident he would be expelled rather than suspended.

+1 HS
Buck Commander's picture

Andy R.‏@andyacr 
American Heritage, Plantation top recruit QB Torrance Gibson was not in the Spring Game lineup. He was suspended due to discipline. 
Andy Slater ‏@AndySlater 1h 
I've learned top QB recruit, Torrance Gibson of American Heritage in Plantation, has been suspended from team - could leave school.
rumor going around that he was kick off 
 Source 247 sports

http://247sports.com/Board/30/Contents/Torrance-Gibson-Kicked-off-HS-Tea...

teddyballgame's picture
+1 HS
SilverState's picture

fwiw:

+1 HS
BrowardBuckeye's picture

Again, the incident happened a few weeks ago. Although he could've been expelled, it was resolved with a Spring suspension and he will be reinstated assuming there are no further issues.

SilverState's picture
+5 HS
BrowardBuckeye's picture

Slater needs better sources...he's about a month late.

-1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Sumbitch.

Not the TG news I was expecting.

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

ab1993's picture

What if he transfers to Ohio guyz... lololol

Class of '16

+2 HS
EDUGOON's picture

Diva!!! Need I say more!! Smh

"We Don't Believe You, You Need More People"- Hova #GOBUCKS #FreeElGuapo #Famthik

-2 HS
johnblairgobucks's picture

Sounds like we have a teenager that needs to get his priorities in line. Kids usually dont get suspended for nothing. Hope he can realize the effort the adults surrounding him are giving (teachers) trying to prepare him for the future, and is less influenced by the adults giving him attention, because his athletic ability will benefit them.

+2 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

I'm beginning to lose interest. 

+7 HS
UrbzRenewal's picture

An altercation with a teacher is definitely not okay in any situation. A verbal altercation would be one thing, but if it's a physical altercation...

+5 HS
Citrus's picture

Any situation? I'll give you most situations, but there are certainly some (though small) situations when it would be appropriate to have a physical altercation with a teacher. 

And with that, I go back to my boring bar review :-/ 

Forgive my nit picking. 

UrbzRenewal's picture

There are two cases where it would be okay.

The only real defense is if you had an immediate threat of physical harm (assault), to claim self defense or defense of a third party. That's about it (legally), but I'm sure the school has more policies than just the legal baseline. So yeah, any of any day to day school situations.

Hard to say without the facts, but I'm sure the teacher would've been arrested if there were claims of self defense or defense of a third party. TG being suspended w/o any other accompanying news leads me to believe it's probably not self-defense or defense of a third party.

+1 HS
Citrus's picture

Not claiming or insinuating thats what happened here. Just being perhaps unduly precise. 

+5 HS
Buck Commander's picture

The only 2 cases that would be OK In this situation would be 2 cases of Bud Light!!!!!

+9 HS
lsjSnail's picture

Eww, you peasant. 

+3 HS
cinserious's picture

Make it Miller Lite

Gone ham, be back soon...

-1 HS

If you are not drinking Westmalle Tripel Trappist then you aren't living yet.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

When I was attending the work/study program at Eastland Career center I use to sleep sometimes during our 2 hour class and so did other students. One day the big giant fat teacher thought he  was going to get away with making an example out of me and smacked the shit out of the back of my head in front of everyone. He accomplished one thing and that was waking me up from my nap and I gathered myself realized what happened and punched him so hard in his face he couldn't get off the ground for about 10 minutes. Initially I was sent home instantly and there was talk of expulsion. "Until" they had a chance to separately talk to the other students then they called and apologized and told me to come back 2 days later. Later my parents won a small lawsuit against the teacher and I never had any more problems. Point of the story is lets let the details come out fully before passing judgment.

-3 HS

Point of the story is lets let the details come out fully before passing judgment.

That would make too much sense. I'd rather just jump to conclusions.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+2 HS

Well duh, If you wasn't being snarky and jumping to conclusions what type of fun would these interwebz be?

-1 HS
BrowardBuckeye's picture

Definitely not a physical altercation...

That's great to hear..He didn't seem like that sort of young man but lets hear what happen before we pass on judgment. I had a father raised by the Marines and he taught me not to take shit from anyone. Lets hear the details before we exile the kid is all.

BrowardBuckeye's picture

He's lucky he didn't get expelled, but it was nothing criminal/physical. It's a teachable moment and bit of an ego check...not unlike most of us would need if we were in his position at 17. Doesn't make it right, it just is what it is.

+1 HS

Sounds serious. I actually got rewarded for the actions I took although I do not think everyone should take that route. All teachers are not Saints and I would love to be able to judge his situation with facts. Have seen the kid in interviews and he seemed like a great young man. I appreciate you Broward giving us the low down even though you can specify details. I respect that in you. Lets wait it out and not jump to conclusions Buckeye Nation.

BrowardBuckeye's picture

Maybe I shouldn't say he's lucky to have not been expelled, but apparently it was on the table as far as punishments being considered. Anyway...no problem Groveport. I'm just trying to provide a little clarity to the situation while respecting the young man's privacy. It's unfortunate so many are so quick to judge without knowing any facts nor ever meeting the person. Such is our society though...

+1 HS
Gray Box's picture

+10 HS
niblick's picture

Who is the one person on this site that has said for months "HELL NO" on T.G. and the kid is diva problems waiting to happen? Yup, the i told ya so line forms here, downvote away like you have been for the last 3 months. Anyone that doesnt see it with this kids is blind. Hes suspended and his reply is "comin back with a new blog tomorrow" lol.

+2 HS
OSU069's picture

I don't see what's funny about that. He didn't say anywhere that he was starting a blog because he got suspended. Maybe he just wanted to start a blog. Obviously he has some maturity issues but do u want him to stop living his life? If he wants to create a blog, why would getting suspended prevent that?

-1 HS
buckeyedexter's picture

I agree with you and don't want a bad apple to in the buckeye locker room.  Regardless of how talented a player he is, he can do more harm than good if he brings other down with him.

-1 HS
kgratz's picture

Kwon had a blog through 247 sports last year and he's obviously a bad apple...

How Firm Thy Friendship

+3 HS
sivaDavis's picture

On my phone and can't embed the tweet but Torrance tweeted "wrong information, sir." When Andy Slater said it was an incident with a teacher.

And I don't know what it is but someone else said it above.. I'm just sorta losing interest on this kid. I give him the benefit of the doubt because he hasn't been up to experience our great city Columbus, but if it still is all games with him after that and OSU isn't #1, I'd say go hard after Waller. Who I'm really high on after researching him and learning more about him and his game. Waller and Burrow would be a great haul IMO. Not as great as one of those two and Torrance just because he is obviously really good, but the QB must be a leader. I really think Waller has the in him to be that leader. The only problem is it seems like all these players like Harris, Kirk, etc have a connection with TG. 

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
Buck Commander's picture

Okay guys I'll wait and see I guess.

+1 HS
B1G_Deal's picture

This Gipson should reslly get head straight because if not he looks back on life w,/ regrets on missd opportunit he 'll never gets back .. he needs to be level headed as qB

We dint know details yet but it doesnt sound great on surfaces

+2 HS
Buckeye_in_SEC_country's picture

Hope he gets things worked out, but I think missing on Wimbush is going to come back to bite us. We need to offer Waller and make a little more progress with him. 

+5 HS
Montana silver bullet's picture

I've seen this movie before---

Didn't we just go through this with TP. Kid thinks he's hot shit and above reproach. I'm so cool I think I'll start a new blog! Wimbush was a true QB that has good wheels and a good head on his shoulders,  sorry we missed on him.  Bring on Waller the baller! I'm probably in the minority but I'll pass on this Prima and 3-4 years of hoping he'll learn how to pass, read defenses and stay out of trouble. 

Montana Silver Bullet

+13 HS
nikolajz1's picture

I'd love a QB that is undefeated against Michigan and has 2 BCS bowl victories, regardless of if that person is a diva or not. 

+9 HS
teddyballgame's picture

How would you love a national championship?  because we need to stop settling and find a quarterback who can actually throw the ball better than run it

+9 HS
AngryWoody's picture

We've got one. We just have to wait a few more years for him.

Our Honor Defend!

+4 HS
BroJim's picture

The Lefty!

I season my simple food with hunger

stevebelliseeya's picture

I can't wait for ONE recruit to be playing some bad ass ROCK MUSIC in their highlight video. I love all types of music...just seems highlight videos are biased.  I need to get out more.

"We are eternal. All this pain is an illusion." - Tool

TheBadOwl's picture

I love all types of music...just seems highlight videos are biased.  

Meh, it's not some huge conspiracy to get old people to listen to rap. It's just kids picking the music that they like. Kind of funny to me that people complain so much about the music in highlight videos. 

I'm 21, so I'm four-five years older than most of these kids. I also love hip-hop, so hearing it in highlight videos doesn't bother me. I think a lot of it is a generational thing, which is kind of hilarious considering how many guys in their 40s-50s follow recruiting so closely.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+1 HS
Nick_Satan's picture

I heard that song for many years the ejactulating leading up to the day that Justin Zwick was to arrive on campus and lead us to 4 National Championships and 4 Heismans. I know if your old enough you will remember it too. Don't get Sold on one guy.

I always Hated .gifs and I said what they hell if you can't beat em join em.

+1 HS
stevebelliseeya's picture

I was just making a comment in jest, just hadn't remembered hearing a rock song in a highlight and thought it would be cool. People getting a little too serious....I love you guys man.  /tear

"We are eternal. All this pain is an illusion." - Tool

buckeyedude's picture

Craig Krenzel was no diva. And he loved molecular science. AND he won a national championship. Maybe Stephen Collier will be the next Craig Krenzel?

+3 HS
B1G_Deal's picture

Key there was  Krenzel had elite national championship caliberred Defense to back him up ,

+4 HS
Klytus21's picture

I'm liking Collier more and more.  He may not be the most taleneted but he loves his opportunity to play for OSU and it sounds like he's working hard for it.

NJBuck

+1 HS
B1G_Deal's picture

I like him ,, he just needs to show quick hips and fluidity

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Anyone have any idea of what happened ?

+1 HS
Hogan1's picture

Dont care just as along as he's not suspend the first game as a Buckeye.

+1 HS
Jeremy Birmingham's picture

Goodness I am glad I didn't grow up in the golden age of the internet.

There was enough drama for a lot of us in high school back in the late '90s-early '00s. I can only imagine how bad it would have been if we had twitter.

+1 HS
BroJim's picture

The best is yet to come

I season my simple food with hunger

buckeyedude's picture

Nailed that one, Birm. 

+2 HS
stittracer99's picture

Hey Birm, I did grow up in the golden age of the internet, and it was beautiful

+7 HS

If you honestly knew how many chics I nailed signing on to that little beauty right there it would not be funny. AOL chat rooms use to be the place dreams were made of..;)~

-1 HS
irishfury's picture

This bring back memories about a decade ago I got a job in a diff state.  I didn't know anyone.  I used yahoo chat room and girls would offer to show me around town and other things.  Ahhhh the good ol days.

+1 HS
BuckToAsT's picture
Who needs a screen name when you have an ICQ number!

+4 HS

I keep seeing that blinking line in racer99's meme and I so want to try to sign in to see who is on...Ok ok you caught me I tried to sign in 3 times and it didn't work.

-1 HS
crusher's picture

I'd hate to see everyone give up on a kid before the facts come out. Kids mess up. One of my favorite Buckeyes of all time had some issues in high school and thanks to a second chance he ended up winning a heisman.

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men

+1 HS
Toilrt Paper's picture

Entitled again.

dwcbuckeye's picture

Boy it just seems more and more (as social media grows), athletes are becoming prima donnas.  I agree what others have said, this is getting old and I grow tired of the me, me, me, attitude.  To be a QB you need to be a leader and leadership comes from setting the right example.  You got to live it.

But regarding the tiring prima donna thing - this last year of this kid's high school life might just be the best time he will ever have, the most special he will ever feel.  I have read all the 11W stuff on how 5 star athletes have a pretty good chance of making it to the NFL.  What about 5 Star QBs, probably not so high.  What about 5 Star dual threat QBs, maybe a little lower.  How about 5 Star running QBs that can't throw.  Bottom line, it would not surprise me at all that IF he commits to OSU, he never starts a single game a QB.  Nothing personal on the kid, but there can be only ONE starting QB and there is a lot more competition.

So if he comes to OSU - great I wish him all the best.  But if he doesn't - probably won't make a damn difference in our win/loss record not one single bit.

+1 HS
BassDropper's picture

This is all about the type of kid Urban recruits...for crying out loud we have heard about the Aaron Hernandez-Urban connection for over a year now. He has a kid committed already who has been suspended from school, fought in school, and shoplifted. Now his number 1 QB recruit just got suspended from school for getting in an altercation with a teacher. From what I've heard the teacher is a female, and Gibson shoved her...not sure if that is true, but regardless getting in a fight with your teacher shows entitlement, and that he is above authority...my heart isn't ready for another tat5 situation. 

DIRECTIONER

-10 HS

My heart isn't ready for another BassDropper overreaction. -_-

+9 HS
OSU069's picture

What a clueless and idiotic rant. I would refrain from starting rumors if I were you. We don't even know the altercation was with a teacher let alone a female one. And our last 2 recruiting classes have been filled with many high character players. 

+6 HS

Man quit clowning up the board with your negativity..Keep it up and I'm going to jump on you like a pitbull on a bloody steak.

+1 HS
sharks's picture

C'mon Bass, stop the negativity- he might be reading comments here and his feelings could be hurt, and Ohio State just made the top 100 or so schools he's still considering, per his tweets.  

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+3 HS
BassDropper's picture

good. hopefully he reads this and decides to go elsewhere. The hilarious thing is, everyone disagreeing with me now will be saying the same thing I am now when Gibson commits elsewhere. 

DIRECTIONER

-5 HS

I use to act like this before my balls dropped. 20 something years ago.

-1 HS
BassDropper's picture

So, you're telling me that if this kid was committed to Nick Saban, and this story broke you wouldn't think the worst? I guarantee this thread would be littered with "SEC SEC SEC," and trying to make the kid and the program he is committed to look bad.

DIRECTIONER

-2 HS

Yea you are right if he played for a major sec school I would throw a couple of digs in, but he doesn't yet and I was a some what troubled youth at one time and Im glad nobody gave up on me. I'll throw venom any chance I get at Saban or any sec program.

-1 HS
sharks's picture

I was being facetious...

I think discussions of stupid things would-be recruits do is fair game.

By the way, Michigan recruit Shaun Crawford has been suspended from Ed's for three days and will miss the state track finals.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

irishfury's picture

I hate when people make assumptions like this with out knowing all the facts.  I could only imagine if they had social media when I was a teenager.  I was in speech class and even though I'm not a shy person I didn't like giving speeches.  I was a little ghetto growing up but I loved Dungeons and Dragons.  Well I was going to do my speech on dungeons and dragons and had Dragon magazine getting material for my speech.  The teacher grabbed my magazine and told me she was keeping it and I wouldn't be doing any anti god speeches in her class (she was one of those dungeon and dragons is evil people I guess).  My natural reaction was "jesus christ" which I said cause she yanked it out my hand (Plus my grandmother raised me and she was a catholic school teacher in Cincinnati and that was her fav word as she didn't swear hardly at all).  The teacher said you will not say that about my lord and savior.  Gave me detention and sent me to the principles office.  Upon getting to the principals office I told him I wasn't serving detention for what happened.  He said that I would.  I told him this is a public school and if I would have said buddah would I've gotten the same reaction?  He then said in today society that it was foul language.  I promptly told him I was leaving and have my grandmother contact him about punishing me based on religious beliefs.  I got up and started walking out the school he started running after me.  He went to grab me from behind and I side step him he fell and rip his 3000 dollar suit.  (Mind you I never laid a hand on him)

The principle then called the cops that I assaulted him and I was to be expelled from school.  Well there was video evidence of the whole thing and witnesses of what happened in speech.  My grandmother contacted a lawyer and things quickly changed and I was never messed with again and got a formal apology. (We could have sued as well but I've never been one of those I'm going to sue for money people and either was grams)  Now around school I was known as the guy who beat up the principles etc etc.  Now imagine in today with social media how this story would have gone?  There would be a school of 1200 people tweeting about irishfury the guy who beat up the principle.  

+4 HS
AngryWoody's picture

DND rules.

Our Honor Defend!

+1 HS
ronbizi's picture

I used to think Bassdropper was at least entertaining.  The act is getting old and repetitive.  Time to find a new schtick.  It would be easy to ignore if it wasn't for the fact he always gets 50 people to respond to him.  Our boards needs to treat him like an attention starved child, ignore him until hopefully he gives up.  He used to throw in good insight more often while occasionally trolling.  Now its the opposite.

+2 HS