Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

QB Recruiting

ab1993's picture
May 21, 2014 at 11:44am
35 Comments
Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

Interesting article and prospect.  Thanks.

Buckeye_in_SEC_country's picture

Birm posted in another thread that he thought we would see some clarity with QB recruiting in the next couple of weeks.  I believe he mentioned Burrows, Stevens, Waller, or Sheriran.  I could be wrong on those names.  I think he knows something we don't.  

+1 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

The premise of the article is that the Buckeyes "seem unlikely to land" Gibson.  I dispute the premise.

+2 HS

No.   I know some people can't watch videos, but if you watch the video he says that despite being listed 4th, he thinks it will be a two team race between OSU and Tenn.  Then the guy who gets paid to keep people viewing says something about not wanting to put all the eggs in one basket, so who else do you think they're after?

Ahh Saturday's picture

You're right that I couldn't watch the video, but I'm not sure what you're saying "no" to. The quote I included in my comment comes directly from the article linked above. And since it seems you're asking who I think we're after, I'd say Joe Burrow and Gibson end up as our QBs  for '15.

You're right.  I didn't read the article but watched the video.  Interesting how an article can headline "unlikely to land this prospect" while the video says "we're one team in a two team race."  Baffling.

sivaDavis's picture

It's Ben Axelrod. Take everything he says with a grain of salt. 

But yeah I just don't see Torrance coming up here. It's crazy that the more and more I think about it, I would want him to be the 2nd QB in this class. And maybe Waller the number 1. Just because I don't want another athlete trying to at QB. I want a QB with good accuracy and then with good feet. Torrance needs to accept the fact that his future might be at WR. I mean all he does is play WR at camps and 7on7's. And all the recruiting services are all in agreement that his accuracy is terrible. He's just based that high off of his athletic ability. 

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

JDunc686's picture

I think the allure of Gibson is the high ceiling his potential offers.  If he can learn to be more accurate and consistently display solid mechanics then he can be an absolute game changer.  The idea is if he can't seem to put it all together then there will be another QB on the team who can come in and get the job done thus lowering the risk involved with signing him.

Go1Bucks's picture

I agree with his potential, but I often wonder if we should continue chasing the ones that need so much work.  Often waiting 2 to 3 years for potential to be reached wastes opportunity that can be accessed now. (edit: by getting a different QB) Additionally, we almost invariably end up putting the potential QB on the spot and they start earlier than expected. It will be interesting to see what pans out in the coming weeks, and who chooses OSU.

Go Bucks!

Hayze's picture

Think about it like this.

I love Kenny Guiton but if Taj Boyd hadn't burned us that close to signing day, he would have started the past couple years giving Braxton time to grow.

If we land Torrance, he shouldn't have to be thrown to the wolves right away. He should have time to develop.

+3 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

I think you misunderstood my statement, I want us to wait.

Go Bucks!

WesPatterson23's picture

Wow, those highlights are impressive. Has plenty of athleticism and can throw an accurate ball (but I know it's just a highlight tape). I would be very happy if Kai Locksley is the QB we end up with.

-1 HS
Ludwig Yards's picture

Having been on this site for a while, and from what I gather about how Jeremy B. and others operate in regards to covering recruits, I trust Jeremy and this site's thoughts on recruiting as much as any site out there. We will have a better read on Gibson after he visits OSU.

B1G_Deal's picture

Maybe urban tell these qB pro-aspects  ' shit or get off pot '  ,,,, in a nice way

-2 HS
skid21's picture

Can't really do that these days. The recruits, at least the top recruits, will not be bullied. If you are serious about a recruit you let him decide on his own schedule or move on.

B1G_Deal's picture

term bullying too loosely thrown around now a days , like Hokes wifee

-2 HS
JakeStevensIsSwag's picture

Usually Quarterbacks do commit early, just so happens our first choice wants to wait it out..

Buckeye fan from PA

Jake321's picture

You want urban to tell someone who is probably making the biggest decision of their life so far to hurry up?

-3 HS
BassDropper's picture

Starting to get the impression that Stephen Collier is the guy. Doubt we take a QB this year. Johnny Manziel at one point and time was an unheard of (3 star) redshirt freshman.....

DIRECTIONER

Buckeye_in_SEC_country's picture

I know you like to stir things up Bass so I take everything you say with a grain of salt. With that said, there's absolutely 0% chance our 2015 class ends up without a QB. 

+7 HS
Grande Gustavo's picture

Disagree on the point that we won't take a QB this year, but I do believe Stephen Collier could be a great QB for us.  Like a more athletically talented Guiton if KG was given a chance to actually earn the starting position.

The answer may not be at the bottom of a bottle, but it never hurts to check. 

-1 HS
WesPatterson23's picture

Like the other guys, I definitely think we will get a QB in this class. Collier definitely has potential. He's gotten a lot bigger, and if he can just be accurate and extend some plays with his legs, I couldn't ask for more!

irishfury's picture

Trent Dilfer thought Collier would have one of the best college/pro careers.  Everything thing I have heard as well he is he is the first to arrive and last to leave that will get this kid a long long way.

+2 HS
JDunc686's picture

I agree that Collier could end up being really good, there is no way to know for sure; but are we already giving up on JT Barrett?

+3 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Still a slim possibility we take 2 QB's this year if its the right 2. Zero chance we take none. Facts man,never let them get in the way of what the demons are telling you.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

CincyBuckeye31's picture

There are plenty of good athletic QB prospects in this crop of kids and we will end up just fine at the position.  Would be nice to land one soon so we could have a possible leader in this recruiting class though.

+1 HS
logamaniac's picture

best thing about the highlight tape is how he throws the under routes and isn't always looking for the big play.  maybe those are just his primary reads i don't know but that talent won't be lost on us should he end up in Columbus.

Seattle Linga's picture

Smart kid with great ability - system + skill = perfection

SpoonerBuck33's picture

Travis Waller will be the QB in this class when he visits.

+1 HS
Jake321's picture

I really hope so, his film is really good. I feel his film is a notch above Stevens and burrow.

+1 HS
buckeyeguy0615's picture

I don't see how a #2 qb could get any better than Joe Burrow. He could be the future.

+1 HS
Jake321's picture

Don't get me wrong I think he is great, I just don't trust the level of competition he plays against. 

buckeyeguy0615's picture

But we can't just get two top QB's in one class who play in great level of competition. But to land a 2nd QB who's in-state and is putting up those kinds of numbers would be great. 

buckeyeguy0615's picture

Funny, we just got his commitment.

KBonay's picture

Not so sure this has a lot of impact, but it could be interesting that their depth cart just took a hit and could easily sway a certain someone for earlier playing time:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2077594-tennessee-football-what-riley...