Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

egw to join Danny clark

ODEEZ330's picture
May 19, 2014 at 2:52pm
69 Comments

Just heard the Eric's family got an apartment IN massilon and he'll be playing for the tigers next season to avoid the 3 game suspension canton city schools gave him. Massilon is gonna be stacked if this proves true

Hovenaut's picture

No disrespect, appreciate the news, but hope to read more about this.

Definitely sounds like a positive step for EGW if indeed the case.

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+4 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Interesting and that's news to me!

+1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Good looking ODEEZ.

More than anything, I hope Massilon will provide a better environment for EGW to mature and finish out HS before coming down to Columbus. I think immaturity is his biggest obstacle and sometimes a change of scenery does the trick.

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+5 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

If I'm not mistaken - I believe Troy Smith got into a little bit of trouble in high school so he transferred to G-Ville and I think we all know how that worked out. Positive baby steps young man!

+8 HS
osu07asu10's picture

True, but a very different situation. Troy attended St. Edwards (private school) and was kicked off the basketball team for elbowing an opposing player in the head.

Troy had been friends with Teddy since they were young and attended the same Church, and Ginn Sr. was already a father figure to Troy. Glenville was the public school at his disposal when he left St. Eds, and didn't force a move to be eligible to play.

Still, EGW is very talented and I hope the move works well for him.  I suppose I was hopeful that Thom McDaniels could help reign him in at McKinley. Then again, he didn't do the greatest with MoC.

sharks's picture

My brother had a couple of classes with him at Ed's- there was more going on than that.  As much as I hate to say it, athletes have the run of the school there, no way they boot him for elbowing a guy.  He turned it around though, so I hope the other guy does the same.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+4 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Oh I'm sure there was. In Troy's case, he grew up in the worst part of Cleveland. I'm not sure a lot of folks on here understand the kind of environment he was surrounded by.

Canton is certainly no paradise either and no matter how much an individual tries, sometimes the environment gets the best of you.

That isn't an excuse at all but it is a completely different world than a lot of people on here are used to.

+2 HS
skid21's picture

That isn't an excuse at all but it is a completely different world than a lot of people on here are used to.

Not trying to be a prick but I wonder why you even make the statement if you aren't making excuses. I didn't grow up in the best of neighborhoods and know many who grew up in worse. If you are an athlete they "make excuses" for you. If you're not they say you're a bad seed and watch while you self-destruct. I was an athlete but many of my friends weren't.

+2 HS
bukyze's picture

Canton is certainly no paradise either and no matter how much an individual tries, sometimes the environment gets the best of you.

Not even Dukie could make it out of his environment:

+1 HS
cinserious's picture

R.I.P. Duquon. He was a good kid dealt a bad hand in life.

Gone ham, be back soon...

+1 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

Troy elbowed/forearmed a kid on our team (Toledo St Johns) in the face. There were absolutely no racial taunts, none whatsoever. That claim is a weak cop out that came from an SI interview that Troy did, years later. Troy made a theat that he was going to knock the kid out a few minutes before he actually did as he was getting torched.  We were beating Ed's and they weren't handling it well, especially Troy Smith. Shit happens in sports and I have no beef with Troy, quite the opposite, I just hate to see/hear the racial taunts part. That absolutely did not happen. 

That is my first hand account. 

+6 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

I think it's only really a firsthand account if you were either Troy Smith or the kid who took the 'bow to the face. Maybe he said something below his breath.

Just curious, but since you said firsthand account, were you actually on the floor during all of this? If it's something you saw from afar or heard from people who were there, it's a secondhand account.

Edit: Not that I'm doubting your story, but if you're saying it's a firsthand account, you might wanna lead with the whole "I was on the court for most of the game" thing.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

-5 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

I was on the floor and played almost the entire game.  I also know the kid (now guy) pretty well, not his style at all.  I can assure you nothing racial was said, murmured, and/or implied...by either team. 

Edit: there was trash talking, no doubt. But it was nothing even close to warranting getting flagrantly fouled, expelled or even losing your cool over. It was mainly just because he was getting beat and having a shitty game while his guy was getting buckets all day. 

+8 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

TheBadOwl trolling, hoping, praying there was race issues involved. What is your deal, dude?

Are you Chrissy Matthews, or Jessica Jackson?

Damon, you're predictable.

-10 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

-5 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

Pot meet kettle. You troll around and DV me all the time. Pathetic. You're also a blatant racist. Yes, you are prejudiced.

-10 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

-2 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

What, Emma Stone? Really?

I think it's adorable that you think I actually care enough to downvote-stalk anyone. But hey, let's not hold another thread hostage with another really fucking stupid argument. I think we could all learn a lesson from Queen Elsa.

+2 HS
BroJim's picture

Everyone is a racist. See Critical Race Theory (CRT).

I season my simple food with hunger

DCNick's picture

I went to school with Troy. He was a punk. He transferred in after his freshman year at some other school and never adjusted his behavior. He had a really bad attitude and was disliked by both black and white students. His cheap shot against the St. John's player was so bad that the school asked him to leave. Troy later tried to play the race card and said that Eds students were racist and the St. John's player was racist. It was all BS. A couple months after Troy left for Glenville Jeremy Hines, who is black and went on to play football at West Virginia, was elected student body President. During his Heisman campaign the only way Troy could defend his behavior was by alleging racism. He should be called to account for it.

Ultimately it was good for Troy that he went to Glenville because he wasn't going to play quarterback his senior year. Shaun Carney was a year behind him and the better quarterback. He went on to start all 4 years at Air Force. He was just too short to get other offers.

Groveport Heisman's picture

Can we settle this kind of talk down a little bit? You are talking about one of the greatest Buckeye QB's ever.And a Heisman winner. It may all be true and I'm not going to debate any of it but I will highly debate wither or not we need to grind his character in the dirt.We don't.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+4 HS
nfischer's picture

Agreed, and the fact of the matter is, most of us were not ever called on the carpet for our high school indiscretions, because we were never in the limelight.  We were allowed to grow up and mature without the scrutiny.  Yes, with all the perks comes the scrutiny, but after a decade we should be able to judge someone on his or her "current" actions. Jusr my two cents...

+2 HS
cdub4's picture

I respect the honesty and perspective. No reason in hiding the truth. Smith is probably more mature now than he was in high school.

Becool12's picture

I hope he has learned form his mistakes, even if he doesn't serve the suspension. But, I think transferring will force him to play wide receiver and will make him more prepared for OSU. 

+1 HS
Jordan Wagner's picture

I've heard similar. 

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Was he suspended 3 games over that fight?

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

ODEEZ330's picture

Yes McKinley made him miss his whole baseball season (possibly his best sport scary i know) and the first 3 games of football

O'Deez330
stark county football

Did his teammate get the same?

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

ODEEZ330's picture

Teammate was a senior

O'Deez330
stark county football

No worries. Goodell will suspend him if he goes to the NFL.

+4 HS
otrain2416's picture

I think this move will be great for his career. He'll be in a new environment and get a fresh start. Also will most likely get to focus on a position he'll play in college WR/ DB verses playing QB. 

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Agreed - a fresh start is needed, outside interferances shouldn't be as much of a problem.

+1 HS
cw823's picture

he may not be the brightest kid, but I'd guess he knows there's not an "a" in interference.

-4 HS

Could 100% see him pull off a Dontre Wilson role there and really help Clark improve during the process.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

DMcDougal24's picture

ODEEZ has shown to be well-connected in Stark County HS football news. Without any personal knowledge I'd be surprised if he could transfer without any sort of punishment following him, but I don't know how OHSAA works (or if they care). 

Would add new flavor to the rivalry for sure. 

+1 HS
ODEEZ330's picture

It pains me to say this but i think it's for the best. I have a running joke about the canton curse. Seems like kids from McKinley (my alma matter) always have the world in their hands and blow it with drugs violence something. Latest example sevonn pittman. I went to hs with a kid, dc. Bill Greene in an article said he was the most talented player to ever play at McKinley (over doss peterson martin ) it's saying a lot. Kid was amazing averaged over 16 tackles a game as a sr. Went to toledo as a prop 48 bec of grades and got arrested while back in canton never played after hs. Canton is the most dangerous small city in America and I'm glad to see egw get away from the curse n get a fresh start

O'Deez330
stark county football

+3 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Canton is the most dangerous small city in America and I'm glad to see egw get away from the curse n get a fresh start

Glad someone from Canton echoes this sentiment too...

cinserious's picture

I've never been to Canton and don't know much about N.E. Ohio in general but I'm curious why Canton is considered so dangerous. I've never seen it on any top list of 'most dangerous' cities per capita like Gary, Little Rock, Newark, East Patterson,etc. I always thought Youngstown was the most dangerous of the N.E. Ohio towns. (Besides Cleveland)

osu07asu10's picture

I'm curious why Canton is considered so dangerous. I've never seen it on any top list of 'most dangerous' cities per capita like Gary, Little Rock, Newark, East Patterson,etc. 

Here you go...

Property crime, total crime, violent crime, murders...it's all there. Bottom line, it was an industrial steel town that lost its entire core and what is left is not pretty.

At one point, Gary, IN was known as the murder capital of the US because of its murder rate. Canton has a high murder rate, but they also tip the scales for violent crimes (rapes, assaults with weapons, etc), property crime (theft, damage, etc) and all crime put together (drugs).

It is just a tough place to live, a lot of folks struggling to get by and desperate to make ends meet. I was born and raised in Canton, OH and love the city but it isn't a place I'd move my wife and (soon to be) daughter to live anytime soon.

It isn't like if you walk down the street next thing you know your pants, wallet, shoes, shirt, cell phone, and keys are all missing and someone is pointing a gun to your head getting ready to sexually assault or potentially murder you. It's just a tough city and tough environment for a young person to mature and always make the right decisions. 

+1 HS
cinserious's picture

Thanks osu07asu10. I guess I knew absolutely nothing about the 'real' Canton Ohio. I always assumed it was a nice, charming place that was kinda tourist-y because of the Pro Football Hall Of Fame. It does however sound a lot like other Rust Belt cities in N.E. Ohio and the Midwest in general. Western P.A. and N.E. Ohio towns have been obliterated by the times we live in due to the steel industry moving over seas, manufacturing jobs leaving the country, and the (U.S.) auto industry slumping. Towns in Michigan are not what they once were either. How would you compare towns like Akron, Canton, Massillon, Youngstown and Steubenville in terms of joblessness/drugs/crime/danger/economic impact, etc. I'm just curious on the topic because I know very little about N.E. Ohio cities.

+1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

It does however sound a lot like other Rust Belt cities in N.E. Ohio and the Midwest in general. Western P.A. and N.E. Ohio towns have been obliterated by the times we live in due to the steel industry moving over seas, manufacturing jobs leaving the country, and the (U.S.) auto industry 

Pretty much nailed it on the head. Like I said earlier, it isn't a terrible place where you'll get robbed and murdered for walking down the street. It is just a tough city to grow up in.

There are really nice parts of Canton (Avondale for instance) and suburbs around Canton (North Canton, Louisville to a degree) that are very nice. Akron has undergone a revitalization of sorts (not in the jobs dept) due in large part to the UofA and the hospitals.

NE Ohio is great, the people are great. The determination and relentlessness of the population is awesome. It still can't mask the fact that when you rip out the economic core of a city, it will fall apart. 

cinserious's picture

And this is why we are seeing a mini-exodus of population away from the Rust Belt and into the South. I guess people are like "I can be jobless in nice weather or jobless in shitty weather." Meanwhile the SEC/ACC teams are reaping the benefit of more football studs to populate their high schools while Midwest schools are loosing players.

BTW, in contrast to your 'Avondale', the Avondale in Cincinnati is one of the hoodiest of hoods, one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the city. I'm not just blowing smoke from the suburbs either. I grew up in an adjacent rough neighborhood and know Avondale pretty well.

hood

hood

hood

hood
I went to the public h.s. 'Woodward' that also drew from Avondale and all the surrounding ghettos and it was more like a juvenile detention than a school. 'students' rolling up blunts in the FRONT of the class, teachers scared to take action, assaults, robberies, even rapes at that school. And that was just the kids who actually showed up. I don't know if you remember Damon Flint the b-ball player, he went there. Antwaan Peek, who played for the Texans was in one of my classes. I dropped out within months of attending that hellhole.

+1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Haha I'll just leave this here for everyone's enjoyment...

+1 HS
cinserious's picture

Freaking HILARIOUS!

lol

+1 HS
Norwalk's picture

I remember when JamO moved in with the Ginns to avoid troubles at Mansfield Senior after he got caught breaking into cars. He didn't get in a lot of trouble in college but he sure didn't live up to his star rating.

thirtytrap's picture

I coached for 11 years and you can't save them all...you just have to try to save them all my brother.

+7 HS
B1G_Deal's picture

Massilon always good high school football Ohio 

Leaders in divisions, and  , made movie

Clover Williams is play WR

cinserious's picture

Who is Clover Williams? and where did you receive your education?

+4 HS
Toilrt Paper's picture

IMPOSSIBLE. If he transfers or even moves, he MUST sit out the first.5 games of the football season, also half of the games of every sport he played at the previous school, OHSAA RULES. Secondly, most schools will uphold the suspensions of other schools. If Massilon doesn't it is more proof of their bad act.

Adam21's picture

Not impossible. If his family moves (which the opening post clearly says), he is eligible to play immediately according to OHSAA. Now, if it is proven that they got the apartment strictly as a mailing address and they are still living in Canton, then he could be deemed ineligible. Unfortunately, I've had a player on the wrong end of this rule. On the upholding suspensions, I have never personally seen a currently suspended (by the school) player transfer, so I have no idea on that front.

+5 HS
B1G_Deal's picture

Thirdly trap where do u coach..

I follow high prep football in Ohio schools , some of best in nation is Ohio prep ball

+1 HS
ohiopup's picture

The OHSAA has a sit out 1/2 the season (5 games for football) if you transfer: EGW must get a waiver from the Commish to play immediately.

:>---

Adam21's picture

But your family moving is the easiest way to receive that waiver.

+2 HS
Toilrt Paper's picture

When was the last time you read the OHSAA Bylaws?? Not any more, changes were made this year. Even with a move(after the start of the 9th grade). Parents must move the ENTIRE family. Must live in the new residence for an entire year. Must PROVE the reason was for something OTHER than sports. Parents must fill out an OHSAA document given to them by the new school ,stating the reason for move., swearing they are telling the truth, have the document notarized, return it to the school. The school moved to is supposed to investigate, then sends it to the OHSAA. The OHSAA investigates and IF AND ONLY IF they believe the reason given for the move, will release the athlete to play sports. If the parents lie about the move the school bieng moved to could be penalized, by not catching the lie, before sending the document to the OHSAA,

In this case the parent's reason for the move is OBVIOUS,  Stay at home and take your punishment. Massilon loses

-4 HS
Adam21's picture

I keep up with the OHSAA bylaws pretty regularly as I am a HS coach. The ENTIRE family means both parents and the kid. Here is the rule: http://www.ohsaa.org/eligibility/4-7-2Guidance_Exc1.pdf. Yes, it is a lot of paperwork, but it is possible to do. I had a player go through this recently. If the family actually moves (like I earlier stated), they will be granted eligibility.

+3 HS
Toilrt Paper's picture

ONLY if the reason for the move is for something other than sports and is proven so, A "bona fide" reason for change of residence. Getting out of a suspension is not a "bona fide" reason.. They can use open enrollment instead of moving and in that case the athlete must sit out the first five games of the season." 

Thanks for posting the link, it verifies what I have been saying. Did you really read it? Along with Bylaws 4-6-1 thru 4-7-2

-5 HS

If you do not coach or assist in coaching then reading a rule book is going to do you no good. This regularly happens and here in Cincy happens with big name recruits sometimes. This type of thing is actually used to recruit kids down here that happen to turn into stars on lesser teams. Its easy to show an eviction notice or any other document that proves the move was necessary.

+1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

I think you both are right and stating similar positions. The difference comes down to the level of interference that OHSAA would play in the transfer.

Yes, EGW could be moving for sports but they can make a list a number of factors that play into their decision (finances, job, grades, social influences, behavioral issues, etc).

There certainly is a process for any student-athlete to go through, however if the athlete and their family take the necessary steps to adhere to the exception, they will be granted it.

+1 HS
Adam21's picture

Thank you OSU07ASU10 (go to ASU? I used to live in Tempe). You took my thoughts and rewrote my poorly written words into more understandable terms. Coaches and especially AD's know exactly what needs to be done for a transfer to become eligible. It then comes down to the student and his/her parents to take the necessary steps to make sure it happens. Even though it looks like a long process, it isn't as bad as it looks. 

Earle's picture

C'mon, hug it out, bros.

Italics are for emphasis.

+2 HS
osu07asu10's picture

OSU07ASU10 (go to ASU?

Appalachian State actually. Visited Boone both of the two summers prior to ASU playing scUM. Fell in love with Western NC and ASU had the grad program I wanted. Was working for tOSU athletic department at the time, came back to CBus and proclaimed that App State would beat scUM. During the snoozefest of a 16-2 Akron "beating" my boss taps me on the shoulder and says, "Go up to the offices, App State is beating scUM"...the rest is history.

In regards to the transfer by-law and exception, OHSAA will do their best to enforce it but at the end of the day it is a pretty toothless bylaw. The last thing OHSAA wants is negative publicity because a "struggling family" made a "tough decision" to move their child from one HS to the other to better their life and big bad OHSAA is going to ban him from the one sport he loves....

OHSAA doesn't want that narrative to play out in public. The bylaw is a CYA.

+1 HS
Buckeye80's picture

Thirtytrap coached at a small D7 school in southeast Ohio.  He was one of my coaches.  After a 3 year break, I'm going back to coach there now.  Hopefully we can get Thirtytrap on the staff in some capacity! 

+1 HS
cantonbuck's picture

To me, there is something wrong with the idea that this kid allegedly wants to transfer to avoid consequences. Be accountable. Deal with it like a man and try to learn something from the experience.  Go Bucks!

+3 HS

Would this be equivalent of him being tOSU's starting QB then getting in trouble with coach Meyer and transferring to our bitter rival up north? I think it might be the best situation in this instance because the kid he fought was the starting RB and the last thing a team needs is a divided locker room. If he is "only" doing it to avoid the 3 game suspension I agree fully with you. Our coaches already seen him in person at camp and know he is a top 100 National talent,only thing that can keep him from scarlet and gray is off field issues.

-1 HS
SilverBullet33's picture

As a Cantonian this entire thread is entertaining.    

MichaelJ721984's picture

As a Massillon fan, I'd love to see Danny Clark throwing to EGW, Reggie Rogers & Austin Jasinski (soph to be for the Tigers with lots of potential)

As a Stark County football fan, I hope EGW stays at McKinley and they have a very successful season other than week 10.

As a person, I just hope the kid can get whatever issues he has straightened out.

Fuck Michigan.

+2 HS
36buck's picture

Egw. Bad apple.  Needs to change. 

-7 HS

36Buck  Sucks Dick... Needs to quit.                            JK

+1 HS