Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Gibson to make big announcement later today

Citrus's picture
April 19, 2014 at 11:53am
85 Comments

Here's the tweet

Wish I had more. Please gray box, please. It's been so long and we've all missed you.

Woodshed's picture

Yawn.

if it's a commitment (which it won't be) it won't be osu.

+6 HS
teddyballgame's picture

lol isn't he visiting Auburn this weekend?  He will prob announce Auburn is his leader or something.

+1 HS
niblick's picture

Have you guys learned nothing from this kid yet?

+13 HS
mobboss1984's picture

Blah blah blah! Are you visiting or not

Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.
Bruce Lee

+1 HS
buckeyedexter's picture

He hasn't been to Ohio State yet, but has visited 7 or so other places.  It doesn't sound like he has much interest in Ohio State to me.

-5 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

...He made all his visits to other schools over Spring Break, all of them were southern schools. The reason for this is that Ohio State would be a 40 hour detour and he wanted to spend that time getting other visits in.

LEBRON

+5 HS
buckeyedexter's picture

He went to OK, that's further than Ohio.

-1 HS
BuckeyeJ's picture

His coach said it would be too far for the swing he was on. I don't see us with him

+1 HS
buckeyedexter's picture

Not that I don't want him at Ohio State, I do.  I see a lot of TP in his film, who I think was an awesome college QB, I just don't get the feeling he wants to be a buckeye.  I hope I'm wrong.

UrbanCulture's picture

Seems to really be relishing the attention and the recruiting game.

wimbush is staying quiet.

i want wimbush 

+8 HS
rdubs's picture

Terrel Pryor was really out for attention in his recruitment.  Bauserman was quiet and reserved so much that he played another sport.  

Give me Bauserbombs!!

+10 HS
Citrus's picture

Get that logic outta here. Damn RDubs, when are you gonna learn?

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Facts get in the way of opinions!

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+1 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

Terrel Pryor was really out for attention in his recruitment.

That's not exactly a ringing endorsement.

-1 HS
bleedscarlet's picture

Miller was pretty quiet and reserved in his recruitment also..... makes for a better comparison than Bauserman

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken

+1 HS
buckeyedexter's picture

I'm so with you on this point.  Also, with the offensive weapons we have now, I would rather have some who is better throwing the ball than running.

SilverState's picture

This was the big news last time there was big news:

+5 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

That is pretty big news though, kid got invited to an All-American game.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+1 HS
SilverState's picture

Getting invited is big news. Hyping your acceptance...

TheBadOwl's picture

So if you accepted an invite to an All-American game, you wouldn't tweet about it if you were a 17-year-old kid?

I get it, everyone wants Gibson to just commit and then shut down his recruitment, but it's not your recruitment, it's his. He seems like a good kid, he's about to be a senior in high school, let him enjoy his time. If he picks us, great, if not, oh well.

Let's not blast him for trying to enjoy his recruitment, something that I think we'd all love to go through.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+9 HS
SilverState's picture

I'd definitely tweet about it. I also think keeping your recruitment open until NSD is wise if you can, with coaching changes, etc.

I'm just not sure I'd tweet that I was making a big announcement...and then make that announcement be: "I'm taking my talents to the All-American game." Would hopefully tweet: "I'm humbled and honored to have been invited. Thank you." But at 17, who knows.

InTressITrust's picture

Damn.  I was really hoping for the Under Armor game

"I'm not going to lie. We're anxious to be a part of a matchup like that. It's two states that love the game of football." -Jim Tressel

+2 HS
JakeStevensIsSwag's picture

maybe he's switching it to the Under Armour game

Buckeye fan from PA

+2 HS
Nicholas Jervey's picture

If he commits somewhere today, rest assured that he'll get his own story. Until then, no. With recruits you never know what the big announcement is going to be until it happens, and 50% of the time it's a top 20 or something else anticlimactic.

Ceci n'est pas une signature.

teddyballgame's picture

I can't believe kids even bother with top 20s or 10s. 

A top 3 is only when it becomes a little interesting.

+3 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Eh, a top 5 or 10 isn't exciting for you, but he's not trying to please a bunch of grown men out there who want him to commit, he's trying to make the best choice for himself. 

+3 HS
Citrus's picture

Maybe I am reading too much into your comment. Typically, a recruit that chooses to go elsewhere doesn't get "his own story" (on this site anyway). Thus, if he commits, its here.

Nicholas Jervey's picture

To be clear, if he commits to OSU today, he'd get his own story. That would be very, very unlikely. If he commits elsewhere, it'll get its own message board thread. That would also be unlikely. Even pot-stirrers like me don't think anything big is happening; for all we know, the big announcement was that he isn't attending Auburn's spring game.

Ceci n'est pas une signature.

KBonay's picture

He's supposed to name his leader from his top 3 soon. Wouldn't be surprised if this was the 'news'. 

SilverState's picture

Looks like he didn't make it to Auburn today:

+2 HS
SilverState's picture
+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Maybe his big news is that he just has a top 2?

zoetaite's picture

Wimbush or Nunez excite me more. I think this kid loves the attention. We need one these top tier QB's to pledge their allegiance to the good guy's are start leading this class.

Me personally I could care less if his BIG news is he's going to prom or something.

ZT 

-1 HS
ab1993's picture

We lost Nunez once SCar started going for him hard. I would be surprised if he didn't end up in the state of  S. Carolina (including Clemson)

PittBuckeye's picture

Ah yes insanity over a high schooler saying he has big news about recruiting, couldn't have been any more vague and still gotten this much attention.

+4 HS
The Clean North's picture

Didn't make it to the Auburn spring game even though he was supposed to. Big news a visit announcement maybe?

MacG91's picture

Anyone know if Wimbush made it to OSU? I saw he was having travel issues. 

Mac..yeah

jamesrbrown322's picture

Damn the offseason!

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Not jumping off the ledge not matter what happens

buckskin's picture

Maybe it's a tweet anouncing he's holding a press conference to announce he's not announcing ala TP.

ODEEZ330's picture

Down to Tennessee n osu n deciding after his osu visit. I can dream right. N idc. That he enjoys the attention. So did tp n he Was awesome

O'Deez330
stark county football

Jeremy Birmingham's picture

No commitment coming today. It's pretty good news for the Buckeyes, but it's nothing that will come as a major shock considering what people already know. Let the kid enjoy his moment in the sun.

Deadly Nuts's picture

I'm assuming that it's a visit announcement or top schools update.

LEBRON

Kind of the latter.

SilverState's picture

Would think some kind of top schools with Auburn in it to hedge being unable to get to A-Day...

pdan46's picture

I agree! This is a 17 year old kid.  Let him enjoy the attention - and he is getting attention as evidenced by all of the comments above.  Hopefully, he eventually commits to OSU and then he will get all the attention he can handle!

Silver Bullet 10's picture

Torrance Gibson scheduled a visit to Ohio State, I think. (American Heritage twitter just hinted at this).

I really have no idea though lol

Haha, also not it. ;)

buckguyfan1's picture

What ever you do, don't piss this guy off!  He just might bite your throat out. 

+1 HS
bethmowins's picture
+1 HS

Probably because he just committed earlier this morning.

+2 HS
OH_IO's picture

I'm both so happy for you and so mad at myself for not coming up with a username as amazing as Beth Mowins

Oh yeah... Is it reasonable?

+5 HS

He said there is an 85% chance he leaves Florida for college.

+2 HS
bethmowins's picture

this 85% probably means 17 of his top 20 are not in FLA w/ FSU, FLA, and MIA in there.

+6 HS
bedheadjc's picture

I'm glad the youngster is having fun with this process;  I'm trying to come up with the 41 year old's equivalent to his tweet. Something moderately newsworthy, but anticlimatic. Ultra-specific but not decisive. Hmmmm....

"There's a 73.4% chance that if I have more than 4 beers this evening that I'll have a hangover in the morning. #realtalk #oldiesftw #myjointshurt #hydrate #GOML"

+10 HS
CGroverL's picture

"Doctor's say he's got a 50/50 chance of living, though there's only a 10% chance of that"

The Naked Gun is a classic!

"I hope they're last in everything"

Thanks, Urb!

+1 HS
ab1993's picture

Why do you have to have an announcement to announce that you PROBABLY will leave Florida when everyone already thinks you're leaving Florida? Good for him that he's having fun with his recruitment but all this nonsense is kind of annoying. Not saying I don't want him over Wimbush (either is good in my eyes), but I'm just getting sick of him knowing he's getting everyone worked up for nothing.

+2 HS

I recommend that you stop following recruiting. This is the new era of social media recruiting, it's not going to get better. It's frustrating as heck occasionally, but that's the nature of the beast. It's all about the "love."

Woodshed's picture

For sh*ts and giggles someone should tweet him that if he loves twitter so much he should go take a gander at the number of followers for the qb at osu vs. the number of followers for the qb at tenn.

does tenn even have a qb?

+2 HS
SilverState's picture

Our backup QB has more followers than their 2 starting qb's....combined:

Kenny G:  48.3k

Justin Worley: 14.6k

Josh Dobbs 17.3k

:)

+6 HS
Crimson's picture

Well Ab, at least you aren't a Tennessee fan.  They love this stuff.

bleedscarlet's picture

Lol.... must be bored....what a punk....

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken

+1 HS
Buckeye_in_SEC_country's picture

I'd like for us to get Wimbush back on campus and secure a commitment from him so we can be done with this drama.  

-4 HS
sivaDavis's picture

So his top 3 are Tennessee, Auburn and Ohio State and there is an 85% chance he leaves the state of Florida? I'm no math major and unless Auburn is thinking of packing their bags and moving on over to Florida...I'm not sure 85% is the right number.

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+7 HS
jonping67's picture

Tom Herman went to see a kid from Decatur Central High School in Indianapolis, Indiana, throw this week and the kid looks awesome. 6' 4" Dual-threat QB that has some wheels. I'll take the kid over Nunez, Wimbush and Gibson.

Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

Kid is good and has some skills but no way in hell I would take him over Wimbush. Unless of course he was to commit before Wimbush then of course Id like him more.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

+5 HS
teddyballgame's picture

Unless of course he was to commit before Wimbush then of course Id like him more.

lol, +1 for being honest...

+3 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

He committed to Sparty today IIRC.

+1 HS
Woodshed's picture

MSU got a qb commit, but not him.

+1 HS
jonping67's picture

Brian Lewerke committed to Sparty today, not Stevens.

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Apologies, I was scrolling through Twitter and kind of glanced at this and kept scrolling.

+2 HS
BuckeyeJ's picture

he will anounce that UK has the edge

+5 HS
jonping67's picture

UK, as in the University of Kentucky? Does he play BB too? Where the hell did you get that from?

-3 HS
AngryWoody's picture

It's an *11W Premium Club* inside joke.

Our Honor Defend!

+11 HS
jonping67's picture

I'll be a mother pucker......Fitzgerald committed to Bama today. How many 5 star recruits can one team get. I guess when you're Nick Saban you get just about 50% of them. I need a few recruits to commit Urban, only 3 is killing me. I know you're the closer, but come on! Per Rivals, we are currently ranked #41 in the nation.

-1 HS
Murph32's picture

Fitzpatrick, another 5 star also committed  

+3 HS
EvanstonBuckeye's picture

But what's our RPI? Do we miss the tourney? This is the same logic as creating the NCAA basketball tourney after the first week. It's a long haul and, in addition, you can only take so many players anyway (and before the SEC jokes come flying, I know how thin the ice is on which I tread). Losing Edwards sucks, but I'm guessing our staff is not shocked, given his decision to continue to take visits.

I've been on this ledge before and remember last year seeing the light. We'll be fine.

+1 HS
niblick's picture

And his big announcement was.......?

jonping67's picture

85% chance he will NOT play college football for a team in Florida. Kid is just having fun with his recruitment, what a joke of an announcement.

niblick's picture

Ya, i was bein sarcastic. If this kid announces hes gonna fart tomorrow theres 1000 people waiting lined up to smell it lookin for a clue, and he just continues to crave the attention. No thank you. Anyone that doesnt see the glowing red flags with this kid is delusional.

+1 HS
Knarcisi's picture

I woke up and found my Easter basket today!

Torrance Gibson

Special Holiday Announcement 

+1 HS
SilverBullet-98's picture

That Tommy Stevens kids looks good.

Keeps his eyes down field has a good arm and can run the read option, but I would take Gibson/Wimbush before I take Stevens.jmho.

"The Past Builds the Future"