Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Larry Scott- 2015 OH RB (offered by Bama & Ohio State)

otrain2416's picture
February 20, 2014 at 6:56am
42 Comments

Interesting move by Saban offering Larry Scott yesterday. He's one of the top players in Ohio and many think that he won't get an OSU offer with us chasing Harris and possibly having the option of switching Baker to RB if he commits. Curious to see how this plays out and if the Bama offer accelerates his OSU recruitment. 

Edit: just offered by OSU 3/5/14

JTACbuckeye's picture

i think that with urban's early momentum in the south... this offer is to make him defend his own turf.  i still don t think that larry scott gets offered until closer to signing day 2015.  i , personally, don t believe his bama offer is committable.....

The strong will stand, the weak will fall by the wayside.  100% and then some!

+3 HS
otrain2416's picture

It could very well be a camp offer. It could also be Saban's way of keeping his foot in the door in Ohio. Last season he had two kids from Ohio on his roster and they were both starting for him. He also came up here and took Kief-WR from us. 

+2 HS
Gray Box's picture

His highlights look pretty good!

Larry Scott - 2015 | OH | RB | Jr. Highlights:

+3 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

The more I see this, the more I want him.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

Mortc15's picture

I see underlying recruiting tricks all over this move.

Buck-I4Life

+1 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

Saban having ulterior motives? Not possible.

HomeBrewed's picture

All part of The Process, nothing to see here.

Clever Statement

HTSBuckeye's picture

Looking at his highlights I see this being a real offer and not just a recruiting trick.  He fits the mold of the typical SEC back an Eddie Lacy, Jeremy Hill, Andre Ware type who is big downhill physical runner.  I think its also being done because Urban waits a little to late in each recruiting class to put the fence up around Ohio unless its top tier talent.

luckynutz's picture

Wasnt Andre ware a Herman winning qb from the fun and gun days of houston? Pretty sure the guy youre looking for is Spencer ware, the running back from the university of Louisiana state university.

+1 HS
Grayskullsession's picture

I still think this is Saban poking the hornet's nest. Larry Scott is a good RB for sure but Saban can get any RB in the nation he wants.

"if irony were made of strawberries, we' d all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now."

ODEEZ330's picture

Kid fits the 'bama back' mold well. Think it's a great fit. If there weren't grade issues (which don't matter in sec country) i think osu would be all over this kid. Elite talent imo

O'Deez330
stark county football

PittBuckeye's picture

And how many backs do they have on that roster to go sit behind? Blows my mind every year.

+1 HS
Poison nuts's picture

There are grade issues? Is this common knowledge? 

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

+1 HS
Youngbuck85's picture

I don't understand not offering him... If there's a top 150 player in Ohio he needs an offer. 

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Rumors are that he hasn't yet qualified academically, plus there are a handful of backs higher on the staff's board. I think offers should be earned in the classroom and on the field, and clearly Urban does, too.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+1 HS
Ludwig Yards's picture

Correct. It makes no sense to offer someone just because they are from Ohio. You offer the best players, period.

+4 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

I don't know that anyone is suggesting OSU offer players "just because they are from Ohio."  I know I'm not.  What I am suggesting is that the formulation "you offer the best players, period" is an overly simplistic approach to recruiting and one that the Buckeye staff has already shown that it does not follow.  There have been several instances over the last couple of years where the staff has "cooled" on a player of considerable talent when the player did not seem like a good match for the program, most notably from last season I'd point out the recruitment of Hand and Thomas Holley. 

You offer a kid because you think he can help your team win. Winning is a result of talent, hard work, and team chemistry.  An Ohio kid who is talented, but maybe slightly less talented than a national prospect, might be able to compensate for that gap in talent in other ways, through dedication and hard work.  Of course, he might not which is what makes recruiting such a tricky business.  I trust Urban Meyer to make those tough calls, but we shouldn't pretend the decisions are easy, and that mistakes won't be made.

+2 HS
Youngbuck85's picture

You guys all brought up some pretty good points, and maybe the staff is worried about his grades. I just hate having great in state talent go elsewhere. Hopefully the staff feels good about Damien Harris , but I don't know how realistic it is that Jacques Patrick or soso jamobo commits to osu. 

Ahh Saturday's picture

I agree, kind of.  Your comment cuts to the heart of an important recruiting question for the Buckeyes, and that question is how to balance a team with "business decision" kinds of players and dyed-in-the wool Buckeyes.  The hope, of course, is that once the recruit joins the team, all his goals are to help the team, and Lord knows there have been some great out-of-state Buckeyes.  Still, I can't shake the suspicion that the Ohio guys --guys who grew up watching the team on Saturday, cheering each victory, feeling each loss-- play harder in the tight games. 

The other risk of not offering Ohio talent is getting on the wrong side of Ohio high school coaches.  Some coaches are very invested in their kids and take it personally if one that he thinks should get an offer doesn't.  It's a fine line to walk, but my guess is that Urban can walk that rope better than most.

+2 HS
spkCrow's picture

I'm not trying to pad the rumor mill, but being from my home town as well as a coach in the school district I've watched this kid grow up. Amazingly nice, polite, as well as a hard worker. His grades aren't a victim of work, but a slow start from the Youngstown City Schools before the family moved to Hubbard. Anyway, moral of the story is I would love to see him in Scarlet and Gray and I wouldn't be surprised to see an offer in the next few weeks.

Scott Killian
TBDBITL C-Row 2005-2008
WMBDWB

+3 HS
otrain2416's picture

great stuff thanks for the post!

crusher's picture

I asked a few of my friends from Hubbard about this kid last year and they all said the same thing. They said he is a great kid and had major D1 talent but he had a lot of work ahead of him in the class room to qualify. Hopefully he can get it done and end up a Buckeye

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men

+1 HS
BuckeyeJ's picture

According to Alex this moring OSU has 136 scholly offers out right now. He said that the '13 class had some ohio players that were given non-commitable offers. Since it made ohio coaches mad they no longer do this. They will wait for several reasons but any ohio kid that is offered now is a commitable offer. I bet they watch him and see how he does and how we do with someone they may be higher on. If a kid loves osu he will perform well in camps and get an offer

+5 HS
EvanstonBuckeye's picture

Good post. Since these offers are all, presumably, committable, offering an Ohio kid early who may be a Plan B, C, or D on your big board might put you in a tight spot then. The strategy makes sense to me, though I can see why Ohioans want to see the homegrown talent were S & G.

Jdadams01's picture

He doesn't have an offer because he's a notch or two below the RBs OSU is in on. He's a good back with size, power, but he's slow. Urban wants power backs, but he wants complete packages ala Hyde. Scott is not going to be a big gainer in college because he lacks another gear. 

Urban will not offer an Ohio kid just because services rate them high.

but he's slow.

We must be watching different highlights.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
Jdadams01's picture

Look at who he's playing. He also doesn't have the suddenness through the hole you expect. That you can see compared to Baker, Patrick, Harris, or SoSo.

spkCrow's picture

I do have one rebuttal to your evaluation of his speed to the line, if you watch a lot of his highlights that hole has already been filled by a defender. Not because he is slow, but because there isn't much talent and technique in his O-Line and that causes a breakdown in leverage. I can't tell you how many times he was hit in the backfield this season and he turned that into a gain...

Scott Killian
TBDBITL C-Row 2005-2008
WMBDWB

+2 HS
Jdadams01's picture

Absolutely. He has fantastic power and strength. And yes, his OL looks suspect. Still, though, he's a 4.6-4.7 guy. There's a reason Baker has an offer and he doesn't.

I would be pretty happy if Ohio State ended up with him, and Baker.

Seattle Linga's picture

Double dose of Studs

FROMTHE18's picture

bama has a particular mould at RB that they recruit, I'd be surprised if his offer was committable as they usually take their RBs from the south/Florida

Ahh Saturday's picture

Mark Ingram was from Michigan.  Saban will go wherever he needs to find his back.

+3 HS
Jdadams01's picture

Mark Ingram>>>>>>>>Larry Scott.

Ahh Saturday's picture

First of all, my point wasn't to argue whether Larry Scott was better or worse than Mark Ingram, but rather to point out that Saban will go north to recruit a player he wants.  However, it is worth noting that in 2008, 247 composite had Ingram as 214 in the nation overall, and the 23rd ranked RB.  Currently, 247 composite has Larry Scott at 89 and 8 respectively in those rankings.  Don't compare Larry Scott to Ingram the Heismann winner, compare him to Ingram the high school Junior because that is what Scott is right now.

+5 HS
spkCrow's picture

Well folks, on a side note....OSU Offered Larry today

Scott Killian
TBDBITL C-Row 2005-2008
WMBDWB

+4 HS
m5987usus's picture

Not saying that I do not believe you, but can you provide a source for this???

toad1204's picture

Marc Givler - Rivals

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

+3 HS
spkCrow's picture

Talked to his principle today at work...

Scott Killian
TBDBITL C-Row 2005-2008
WMBDWB

spkCrow's picture

Principal*** stupid autocorrect

Scott Killian
TBDBITL C-Row 2005-2008
WMBDWB

+1 HS