Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Should We Go Back to More Aggressive Defensive Scheme with Current Talent?

+21 HS
tae1986's picture
February 16, 2024 at 10:03am
96 Comments

With absolutely loaded DBs, potentially Sunny at LB, ridiculously talented DLs, should we go back to more aggressive defensive scheme this year?

I usually agree with don't fix what's not broken, but it seems current talent would allow us to be more aggressive. Unlike 2 years ago, our safeties can be "erasers", CBs should be able to sufficiently cover WRs and our run defense should be stout. Plus, it is not first year under Knowles for the players.

We had one of the best defense last year but we had hard time getting sacks and our defense was on the field too long which led to less opportunities for our offense. Less opportunities means less room for mistake and few bad plays/luck could ruin a game.

Lots people are content with QB hurries but great QBs, especially mobile ones, still make plays under pressure. Sacks by definition prevent them from making plays and that could be key to beat great QB led offense.

Of course, it is a moot point if we allow big plays after big plays like 2 years ago but I have hard time seeing our current players let that happen. If we can be aggressive without allowing too many big plays, I can see this defensive group being one of the best ever. I really thought we were crazy stacked last year but with pretty much everyone coming back and addition of Downs, this defense can be real special.

Just an offseason thought.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 96 Comments