Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

The Chip Kelly Offense Resource Thread

+36 HS
ShawneeBuck74's picture
February 10, 2024 at 10:18am
56 Comments

I created something similar for Bill O'Brien. So long, Bill. We hardly knew ye.  Take care of your son in Boston and good luck at BC. 

Here's a good video overview of Chip's UCLA offense...with Justin Frye still being included... including his origins.  

Origins/Influences/Similar Philosophies:  Gary Crowton (LaTech, Oregon); Randy Walker & Kevin Wilson (Northwestern); RichRod (WV, TTUN, AZ); Urban Meyer. 

Indeed, Chip is likely to influence us in similar ways to Urbs: https://www.ninersnation.com/2016/2/19/11037174/chip-kelly-offense-101-constraint-rpos-packaged-plays-screens

Back in 2012, then at the University of Oregon, new 49ers head coach Chip Kelly gave a talk to a group of coaches at the annual Nike Coach of the Year Clinic. "Every coach has to ask himself the same question: ‘What do you want to be?’" Kelly told his audience. "That is the great thing about football. You can be anything you want. You can be a spread team, I-formation team, power team, wing-T team, option team, or wishbone team. You can be anything you want, but you have to define it."

Compared to college football, we don’t get quite as wide of a spectrum in the NFL, where there’s a high level of homogeneity from team to team, but Kelly’s point remains: teams must have an identity.

Regardless of what type of offense a coach wants to run, all (successful) offenses share a structure around a set of core, base plays. These are your bread-and-butter plays that, on paper, beat the defense you’re expecting to see on game day. Kelly’s offense, as we’ve discussed over the past couple weeks, is built around the inside zone. He wants to spread defenses out, make them defend the entire field, and then run the ball down their throat.

Add to this constraint plays, packages, and TEMPO (though we're seeing less tempo in CFB, including from UCLA). But like Urban, the first goal is to be able to run the ball. His teams are not gimmicky or soft.  They are tough. A couple of years ago, LSU and UCLA played and it was thought LSU was gonna walk in a smack down the Bruins but UCLA bullied them and won.  Offensive plays from that game: 

For those wanting to do an even deeper dive, Niner's Nation has a huge Chip Kelly offense resource page with a ton of links (obvi pre UCLA stuff):

https://www.ninersnation.com/2016/2/20/10878930/chip-kelly-offense-resource-page

In the end, I like the Chip Kelly hire better than the Bill O'Brien hire. He's not only connected to Day in a variety of ways, he's also connected to Urban and is more committed to tempo and running.  

Combining Day and Chip (along with Frye, Alford, Hartline, and Bailey) I think will be the next evolution of that offensive spread system that transformed college football. I'm hoping Day adds his downfield passing genius and QB development. I'm hoping Chip gets us more plays and gets us back to the days when our running game could punish people at will.

2024 should be fun! O-H!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 56 Comments