Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

McCord vs Stroud, Fields, Haskins, JT and Braxton 1st Full Season

+5 HS
MiloD20's picture
December 15, 2023 at 10:22am
52 Comments

So there has been some debate about McCord in other threads the last week or so.  I figured I would put some relevant data together to give context how 2023 McCord compares to the previous 5 OSU QBs in their first year.  Below we have stats for 21 Stroud, 19 Fields, 18 Haskins, 14 JT and 12 Brax (I did not choose 2011 because he did not start the whole year).

All stats are from cfbstats.com.  I am not posting all situational stats because this would be way too long.  I selected situations where we needed to the QB to perform (close games, 4th down, red zone) or had room to make big throws (20-60 yards away from end zone).  15+ and 25+ are the number of passes that went for that many yards or more. 

QB A

QB B

QB C

QB D

QB E

QB F

The QBs are shuffled to some degree.  Who do you think is who?  Who do you think are the best passers?

I think it is pretty clear that the first three are better passers than the last three. The % completion, 15+, and 25+ numbers, and TDs outside the red zone are clearly better than the rest.  You can probably guess who those first 3 are but can you guess who is who?

The last 3 are pretty interesting.  Two of them are relatively close.  QB D and QB F are pretty close.  Red Zone stats are similar, close game stats are similar, but QB is probably a slightly better downfield passer.   I wonder how those 3 do running the ball?  Here is that data. 10+ and 20+ are the total numbers of rushes that many yards or more.  1st is the total number of rushes that earned a 1st down.

QB D

QB E

QB F

Well I think it is obvious who QB F is :). It is also probably not hard to figure out QB D and E.  QB D is JT, QB E is Braxton Miller.  QB F is McCord. McCord is a slightly better downfield passer than JT.  McCord also had a guy who is possibly the greatest college WR of all time and one of the best WR rooms of all time.  JT did have Devin Smith who was a pretty good long ball threat and Michael Thomas who was an excellent route runner and elite as a possession WR.  

Do you know who QB A, QB B, and QB C are?  I'll give you a hint: QB A is an elite runner when he needs to be one.  QB B was hurt for a good portion of the season and probably why his numbers are a bit low.  His 2nd year stats are eye popping.  QB C was basically one and done.  Because he was so good and different than the last two QBs, he helped rewrite the narrative that QB D wasn't as good as he was despite being an good but not elite passer like QB C and a good but not elite runner like QB E.  

I don't want this to come across as McCord bashing.  I think he is a an above average to good QB.  Those are actually good stats for a college QB.  He just isn't great.  Imagine if JT Barret couldn't run the ball.  That is pretty darn close to who McCord is as a QB.      

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 52 Comments