Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

John Cooper, Part Deux?

-4 HS
aledyard's picture
November 26, 2023 at 10:23am
76 Comments

First, I think Ryan Day is a good coach and arguably better than John Cooper.  But the one thing they have in common is laying an egg in the Michigan game.  Cooper famously referred to the Michigan game as "just another game" and never really seemed to embrace the rivalry.  The Ohio State teams during the 90's were world-beaters all season and then always seemed to show up flat during the Michigan game.  Watching the game yesterday, I had that same feeling.  The team just didn't seem to have that fire in their belly that you would expect when you're facing your arch rival. Sure, you can question some of the coaching decisions Day made like the field goal try at the end of the first half.  But the thing that bothers me the most is just the feeling that the Buckeyes were not as up for this game as Michigan was.  Michigan wanted this game more and I believe that is why they won. 

I don't think Ryan Day should be fired, not at all.  But I don't think he should be given blind loyalty by the university and fans either.  Is 1-3 an acceptable record against Michigan?  It shouldn't be.  Day is making over $10 million a year and has one of the highest paid coaching staffs in the country.  We should expect more. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 76 Comments