Ohio State football fan talk.

OSU vs IU

+21 HS
Large Father's picture
September 1, 2023 at 6:58pm
11 Comments

Tressels, Fickells, Urbans, Days, Johnsons and Days,

I love Christmas Eve!  

..and mamma in her Ohio State kerchief, and I in my Earle Bruce fedora cap.  

Our whole family would like to open presents as soon as we wake up tomorrow, but we'll have to wait until 3:30pm EDT for Santa's new broadcast helper, CBS, to prepare the tree. I hate waiting.

Let's make sure things are in order.  My wish list is posted on the fridge.  Ryan Kringle needs to check this list twice. Let's give the naughty or nice judgements a rest, and assume positive intent.  

Christmas 2023 Wish List

• A Winning QB

This gift package is a bit of a mystery.  The last season with this much unknown about the quarterback position was Christmas 2014. Braxton was injured in fall camp and JT Barrett took over as a redshirt freshman. I remember being very nervous that Braxton was unavailable, but JT was absolutely a tough, competitive winner. I also give Ryan Kringle the benefit of the doubt, he is fantastic at quarterback development inside the WHAC workshop.

• Schedule Survival Toughness

The last season with a schedule this difficult was probably Christmas 2008: at #1 USC, at #18 Wisconsin, at #20 MSU, vs #3 PSU, at Illinois in late November with challenging wind gusts against Juice Williams one year removed from his Superman-like performance at OSU.

• A Punishing Offensive Line

We have very little idea what is in this package.  The most uncertainty around the offensive trenches since probably Christmas 2016. Ohio State only returned two starters that season, and one of those starters (Pat Elflein) was making a position switch from guard to center. He did go on to win the Remington award that season. The Buckeyes started a true freshman lineman, Michael Jordan, which is extremely rare for this program. The 2016 gift turned out to be strong.  All five offensive lineman went on to be drafted in the NFL. But, those 2016 players had a strong recruiting pedigree; it is more difficult to project offensive lineman for the college level but you’d rather have highly ranked players ready to go. Neither tackles this season, Josh Simmons, who transferred from San Diego State - nor Josh Fryar, were highly-rated recruits.  But the good news - they also have little experience. :)  Simmons started last year at San Diego State, but he played right tackle not left tackle.  I'm hoping Santa's helper, Justin Frye, gives us a Star Wars Millennium Falcon.

• Good Health

Since Christmas 2020, it has been very difficult to understand what is actually true with the roster, player health and player development. We waited until the first snap of every game the last couple years to understand if players are actually healthy or unable to play. Occasionally, the injured list seemed a little random from week-to-week.  Injuries were no joke last season.  Even an injury to the long snapper, Bradley Robinson, came back to bite OSU in The Game.  I'll never take a long snapper for granted again.  

• Defensive Cohesion

Something was just "off" with the defense last year. I think a lot of it had to do with internal disconnect in terms of what system the Buckeyes were running, how players should play their assignment, and the type of talent that is necessary to succeed in the new defensive scheme. They should be in better shape now that Jim Knowles is familiar with these players and Larry Johnson has much better defensive line talent and depth.

• Top Talent, Motivated Talent

This one has me the most excited! Santa's annual recruiting rankings give us a better picture of what is in this package.  Some of Ohio State's top recruiting classes of all-time (2021 and 2022) are now starters and ready to contribute. On paper, this roster is more talented than last season.  There are many starters who can make the jump to the NFL after this season, and they should be highly-motivated to boost their draft stock.

• A Punishing Run Game

I put this on my list every year.  Santa has skipped this one recently....and it's even more important now.  College football rules changed this season, the clock no longer stops for first downs.  I would love to unwrap a punishing Buckeye run game that effectively means the game is over in the second half once Ohio State is up by three possessions.  Please, Santa. 

I won't sleep tonight. We'll put out the Buckeyes and milk near the chimney, eagerly watch each chapter unfold over the next three months, and wish the last gift is a trip to Houston in early January. 

Touchdowns:  Marvin Harrison Jr., Emeka Egbuka, TreVeyon, TreVeyon, Miyan, Denzel Burke

OSU 42 IU 10

Go Bucks!  Beat IU!  Harry Miller for Heisman!

Large Father

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 11 Comments