Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Cleveland.com Article About CJ Stroud's Mom After the Game is Sobering

+33 HS
ShawneeBuck74's picture
November 28, 2022 at 5:41pm
99 Comments

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2022/11/the-mother-of-ohio-states-quarterback-offered-the-purest-moment-on-a-day-of-disappointment-what-i-remember.html

Some highlights:

C.J. Stroud took to the podium to discuss his shortcomings and the lack of team accomplishments as OSU’s starting quarterback, doing so with class even if the subject at hand was difficult.

CJ, Kim and the rest of their family know that right now, he’s not anybody’s favorite person. He lost the game you’re not allowed to lose, and he did it twice. His first start inside Ohio Stadium ended with a loss to Oregon in 2021, as did what might have been his last against Michigan.

That’s a hard pill to swallow and something they’ll all have to work through. But watching him walk in with his family, then observing them listen to him maturely hold his own in a room full of people practically asking him, “What’s it like being the QB who couldn’t beat Michigan?” -- even if he didn’t have an answer that would erase his reality ... at that moment, I saw a mother who was equally proud of her youngest child as she was sad that afternoon. And she’s far from the only parent who left Ohio Stadium with that sentiment.

I know we are all essentially frustrated and grieving after the game. I am 100% sure that the players are feeling way worse than us and knowing that loss was a let down to Buckeye Nation. 

I think people read Stroud's demeanor wrongly. I think he cares A LOT. I think he's a fighter. I don't think he yet knows how to harness those emotions. I think his "we aren't defined by only this game" didn't mean that he doesn't care. It's true. These players...this team...this program are more than any win or loss. That's the big picture in life.  I think that's the context of what he meant. I also think it's hard to answer questions about failure immediately after a loss. 

CJ is still young and is growing up in front of our eyes. We used to see QBs stay for awhile and fully mature but there's such a premium on the QB position at the next level, they're leaving too early now. That was true of DH and likely true of CJ. He needs time to develop as a leader. That's not inherent to everyone. 

I think that he has "it" and I think that this is as good of example as any.  This is also why I think he'll succeed in the right situation/team in the NFL.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 99 Comments