Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

TTUN Sign Stealing

+31 HS
huffdaddy's picture
November 22, 2022 at 7:12am
79 Comments

Bruce Feldman has a great piece on the matchup and talks to a dozen assistant coaches who have played one or both teams. ($$ subscription piece) There is a lot of detailed analysis - and most of it tracks all the strengths and weaknesses of both teams that we have explored ad nauseam on this site.

https://theathletic.com/3919980/2022/11/22/michigan-osu-harbaugh/

The one totally new thing that I have not seen anywhere was this, from a coach who played TTUN this year:

One other wrinkle in this matchup: “I think Michigan is really good at stealing your signals,” said one Big Ten running backs coach. “They got our stuff early and they got us on both sides.”

I have not seen that anywhere. Now, where have we seen this before? Hmmm. Oh right - Clemson 2020. If you will recall, Day's remedy was pretty simple: huddle more, break the huddle late, come to the line and go. And it worked, again and again. The back 7 for Clemson was literally looking at the sideline repeatedly while the ball was being snapped. 

Anyway, I don't think sign stealing is deciding this game. But I also think it's very interesting to contemplate how much it has played into the second half dominance of ttun compared to the first half play. Every week, TTUN seems to be much better in the second half and the announcers attribute it to physical play. But what if they are cracking the codes and playing with an advantage as the game goes on? It seems that some coaches think that is the case. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 79 Comments