Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Notre Dame - Defensive Play-by-Play Analysis

+55 HS
saltybuck61's picture
September 8, 2022 at 4:17pm
64 Comments

After a season of doing these play-by-play analyses every week, I thought it would be fun to do it again. Reviewing each game in this manner can reveal realities not visible on first watch. Last year, it was clear to me that Steele Chambers was a promising linebacker after the Oregon game, and was convinced that he should have been a full-time starter after the Tulsa game, weeks before he ended up starting. The Tulsa game was also when I started to see improvement from Tommy Eichenberg, who ended up with 0 tackles that day but was vastly improved from the Oregon game. By mid-season, I was calling for him to start over Cody Simon. I could also see an immediate improvement in the defense after the switch in defensive coordinator after the Oregon game.

Of course, I saw a lot of things that ended up not being true as well. I expected there to be a more situational rotation after the Tulsa game, which was immediately scrapped. I also thought K’Vaughan Pope might get some more playing time down the stretch, which ended in flames. I thought the pass-rush wins from Tyreke Smith and Zach Harrison would lead to sacks (which I explained here). Finally, I thought that the running-game improvements were scalable against the best teams on the schedule and failed to see the pass defense struggles until after the Utah game.

The way the Notre Dame game played out was a gold mine for those wanting to find some quick conclusions to make. I will start with the defense, as it was easily the bigger concern of the two sides of the ball.

Here is the play-by-play chart. If you haven’t read this before, you do not need to read every single play. This is more a resource for checking my work or looking up specific plays. I still have lots of room to improve and will accept any and all feedback. The basic idea is that I give players positive points for doing something positive above and beyond their assignment and give players negative points for failing an aspect of their assignment. I also give points to certain metrics, which will be called out in the play descriptions. I also apologize for some errors in this post, as I did not have time for much proofreading.

Defensive Play-by-Play Analysis vs. Notre Dame
Time Yard Line Down Distance O Formation D Package Front High Type Rush Play Player Yds Notes
First Quarter                          
14:55 N15 1 10 Pistol Double Wing 4-2-5   3 RPO 4 RPO Screen Proctor 69 Tuimoloau (-2) gets into the backfield immediately but hits the QB high, resulting in a personal foul.It looks like he is also in the wrong gap and would have allowed a significant run. Proctor (-2) is way too out of control as he misses a tackle. Chambers (+1) has great effort to make a chasedown block downfield on a wideout. Hickman slows the receiver enough. Play-calling -2 for getting caught on the corner blitz. Tackling -2. Pressure +2.
14:34 O15 1 10 Ace Pair TE Offset TB 4-2-5   1 Run   Power Hall 3 Nice stunt clears up Hall (-0.5), who gets dragged downfield. Chambers helps clear this up. Play-calling +0.5.
13:55 O13 2 7 Gun Trips Left Jet Mtn 4-2-5 3-4 1 Zone Read   Arc Read Variation Hall -2 Hall (+2) blows past the center and gets great penetration in the backfield. Vincent (+0.5) does a nice job as well. Offensive line completely broke down.
13:14 O15 3 9 Gun Y Flex HB Mtn Wide 4-2-5 Show Blitz 1 Run   QB Draw Chambers 1 Might be an RPO to throw the screen if it is there. Don't think so though. Another great stunt call, the offensive line is completely caught off guard. Harrison (+0.5) and Tuimoloau (+0.5) clog the middle. Chambers (+0.5) shows great speed to get to the sideline on the spill. Play-calling +2.Field Goal.
10:04 N5 1 10 Gun 4-2-5 3-3 Leo 3 4 Run   Counter Tuimoloau -2 Tuimoloau (+1) gets free with Eichenberg helping to clean up. Amazing how much better this defense looks when players know what they are doing. Also, going to start denoting where the Leo is if they are not in their usual spot.
9:38 N3 2 12 Gun Twin TE Pair Left Jt Mtn 4-2-5 4-3 Over 1 Penalty   False Start None -1 Hall is read on the play. False Start
9:22 N2 2 13 Gun HB Mtn Wide 4-2-5 3-3 Base 2 Run   QB Draw Chambers 6 Chambers and Eichenberg combine to make the tackle. Both teams will take this. 
8:07 N8 3 7 Gun 5W 4-2-5 Show Blitz 1 Pass 4 Curl Ransom 6 Ransom (+2) reads this perfectly, staying back to prevent the deep ball while firing forward as soon as Buchner throws this. What a play. Tackling +2.
5:32 N25 1 10 Gun Twin TE Pair Field 4-2-5 4-3 Over 2 Pass 5 Split Flow Hickman 0 Hickman (+2) makes a great tackle in space on Mayer. Tackling +2. Play-calling +1 for the blitz call to clear the way for Hickman. OSU knew this was coming.
5:08 N25 2 10 Gun 4W 4-2-5 Boundary 2 RPO   RPO Screen Harrison 6 Harrison (+1) somehow gets out there to make the tackle. Ransom might have been able to tackle Mayer himself, but Harrison's effort helps.
4:27 N31 3 4 Gun Empty Tight 4-2-5 Boundary 3 Pass 5 N/A Eichenberg -7 Spectacular call, and Eichenberg (+1.5) disguises it well. He shows good closing speed to make the sack after going over the top of Hall. Play-calling +2. Pressure +1.5.
2:06 N13 1 10 Gun Twin TE Pair Field 4-2-5 Under 2 Run   HB Dive Hickman 8 Hall (+1) makes this way closer than it has any business being by getting immediate penetration, but can't make the tackle. Hickman and Eichenberg combine to make the tackle downfield. Play-calling -1 for the corner blitz on the other side.
1:58 N21 2 2 Gun Twin TE Jet Mtn 4-2-5 4-3 Boundary 1 Run   Duo Ransom 6 Ransom  makes a nice open-field tackls, but he probably needs to come up harder. Tackling +1.
1:05 N27 1 10 Gun HEavy 4-2-5 4-3 Under 3 Run   HB Dive Simon 2 Simon does almost the exact opposite, getting in the right position but not making the tackle, which was a trend last year. Friday cleans up. Play-calling +1 for the nice stunt.Tackling -1.
0:52 N29 2 8 Gun Twin TE 4-2-5 Boundary 1 Pass   Split Flow McCallister 6 McCallister (+0.5) is follows the receiver across the formation and makes the tackle near the sideline. Play-calling -0.5. Good way to get a receiver on a safety one on one. 
Second Quarter                          
15:00 N35 3 2 Gun 4-2-5 Pinch 0 Pass 7 Streak Burke 31 The blitz doesn't get home, and Burke (-1) is beat downfield. Spectacular catch. Play-calling -1. Coverage -1. Pressure -1.
14:31 O34 1 10 Gun Twin TE Pair Boundary 4-2-5 Over 2 Pass 4 PA TE Seam Hickman 22 Linebackers go with the fake pitch, opening up the center for the TE. Really nice call by ND and a great catch by the TE. Play-calling -2.
13:54 O12 1 10 Gun Y Flex Jt Mtn 4-2-5 Boundary 3 Run   Jet Sweep Jean-Baptiste 5 Jean-Baptiste (+1) comes across from the opposite side of the formation to make the tackle, after good fundamentals from Sawyer and Simon. Hard to make this play.
13:28 O7 2 5 Gun Twin TE Pair Boundary 4-2-5 Under 0 Read Option   Zone Read Simon 3 Sawyer is read. Simon is able to get out there, but gets pushed back a bit. Ransom helps clean up. Everybody just did their jobs.
12:36 O4 3 2 Gun 5W Empty 4-2-5 Boundary 0 Pass   Quick Slants Burke 3 Burke (-1) gets beat by Mayer, but honestly, it's a tall task to cover him. Eichenberg helps keep Mayer out of the endzone. 
11:59 O1 1 1 Goal Line Goal Line Goal Line 0 Run   FB Dive Vincent 1 Vincent (-0.5) got pushed back a bit. Even so, not a bad attempt to stop a FB dive. Touchdown.
8:42 N5 1 10 Gun Twin TE Wing F 4-2-5 Boundary 1 Run   Split Zone Ransom 4 Eichenberg (+1) does a nice job of getting in the backfield before falling down. Ransom (+1.5) makes a great tackle in the hole. Tackling +1.5.
8:06 N9 2 6 Gun Twin Te Pair Field 4-2-5 3-3-5 Base Leo Back 3 2 Read Option   Double TE Counter Ransom 12 Phenomenal play call. Hall (-1) needs to try and funnel this inside. Still, this kind of looks like an arc read where pinching is actually ideal. Still, he gets caught out of position and Buchner has two blockers with just Cameron Brown to beat. Ransom (+2) comes across the field to make an insane tackle. Play-calling -2. Tackling +2.
7:20 N21 1 10 ABC ABC ABC ABC Run ABC ABC ABC 7 Some of the worst camera work I've seen in a while. Incredible.
7:02 N29 2 3 Pistol 3W 4-2-5 Over 1 Run   Lead Zone Hickman 0 Hickman (+1) fills the gap correctly and doesn't give as he makes the tackle. Another nice tackle. Sawyer (+1) recognizes that it isn't a read and blows up the backside. Play-calling +1 to get the stop.
6:08 N29 3 3 Gun Y Flex Wide 4-2-5 Boundary 0 Pass 6 Hitch Hall 0 Also considering naming where the Leo is by calling out what technique they are essentially playing. I think I like this better. Hall (+1) breaks free and hits Buchner as he throws the ball. Perfect play-call though. Brown (-0.5) had given up some space. It was a makeable throw. Punt. Play-calling +2.
0:36 N21 1 10 Gunn Twin TE Pair Field Wings 4-2-5 Under 1 Run   Double TE Counter Hall 1 Hall (+2) blows up the entire interior of the line. Took at least two gaps away. Clears it away for Vincent (+1) to make the tackle after fighting through two linemen.
0:28 N22 2 9 Gun Y Flex 4-2-5 Under 2 Pass 4 Deep Curl Burke 0 Burke (+1) has quality man-to-man coverage downfield. Ball is innaccurate. Play-calling +1 because why is ND passing.
0:23 N22 3 9 Gun Twin TE Pair Boundary 4-2-5 Over 2 Run   Split Zone Ransom 5 Ransom (+2) makes a great tackle and is the last line of defense. Hickman (-1) gets to this gap late (which I think is his). Punt. Tackling +2.
Third Quarter                          
14:14 N44 1 10 Gun Y Flex 4-2-5 3-3-5 Base Leo 7 1 Pass 5 Streak Chambers 0 Mike Hall lining up at end multiple times in this game. Great time to call the blitz and Chambers (+1) gets to the QB quickly. McCallister (-1.5) gets beat. Play-calling +2 because the blitz might have saved a touchdown. Coverage -1.5.
14:09 N44 2 10 Gun Twin TE Pair Boundary 4-2-5 Under 2 Pass 4 PA Comeback Tuimoloau 0 Tuimoloau (+2) gets into the backfield immediately and was all over the running back, simultaenously applying pressure to the QB. Sawyer (+1) definitely gets a finger on this. Pressure +2.
14:04 N44 3 10 Gun Y Flex 4-2-5 Show Blitz 1 Pass 4 Scramble Ransom 21 JT and Sawyer drop to zones. Cross dogs blitz from Chambers and Eichenberg makes Buchner antsy and he vacates. Ransom (+1) makes a good tackle. Yes, I know it was technically a penalty. No, it actually wasn't. Tackling +1. Pressure +1. Play-calling +1. 
13:44 O35 1 10 Gun Y Flex Trips Left 4-2-5 Under 1 Read Option   Read Pitch Eichenberg -1 Harrison (+0.5) is probably being read here. He helps finish the tackle after Hickman (+0.5) forces the runner back inside to Eichenberg (+1), who shows some nice speed here. Like ND's play design.
13:24 O35 2 11 Gun Y Flex Trips Right 4-2-5 Under 1 Pass 4 Scramble Hall 0 Harrison (+1.5), Tuimoloau (+0.5) and Hall (+2) all get right to the QB. Hall doesn't quite get the tackle, but Harrison shows great effort to make the tackle. Would have been a big play without it, as Vincent (-0.5) and Eichenberg (-0.5) get juked out.  This is the best I've seen a 1-tech play at Ohio State since at least Hamilton and Landers in '19. Before that…maybe Hankins? Also, this is the best defensive line group. Pressure +2.
12:20 O35 3 11 Gun Y Flex 3-2-6 Show Blitz 3 Pass 4   Hickman 0 Hickman (+1) and Burke (+1) have good bracket coverage on the receiver. No chance for a catch. Coverage +2. Punt.
8:36 N12 1 10 Gun Twin TE Pair Boundary 4-2-5 Over 3 Run   Split Zone Hamilton 1 Tyleik Williams (+1) does a pretty nice job seemingly 2-gapping here, and Hamilton (+1) holds up to make the tackle. Defenders all expecting the run, as they started with 3 high safeties and 2 moved down into the box. Play-calling +1.
7:59 N13 2 9 Gun Twin TE Wing F Orbit Mtn 4-2-5 3-3-5 Leo 5 4 Read Option   Arc Read Eichenberg 3 Sawyer is read. While the ends normally attack inside (in this case, the C gap created by the TE moving across the formation), I think he is doing his job by staying outside given Simon's position. Maybe they were both wrong. Still, Eichenberg (+1) makes a nice tackle and is in the right position...so I have no idea if I am right there or not. As Herbstreit shows though, Ohio State's safeties are heavily keying on the run. Tackling +1. Play-calling +1.
7:41 N16 3 6 Gun Y Flex Trips 4-2-5 3-3-5 Leo 7 2 Pass 4 Curl Brown 17 The pressure is fine here; Sawyer and Vincent are coming free right at the end. Mayer makes a spectacular catch over Brown (-0.5). I can't ding Brown too much though because ND schemed up a mistmatch and executed flawlessly. McCallister (-1) and Eichenberg (-1) miss tackles. The fumble saved a big gainer. Tackling -2. Coverage -0.5. Play-calling -1 for the matchup.
6:38 N33 1 10 Gun HZ Tight Jt Mtn 4-2-5 3-3-5 Leo 7 3 Pass 4 PA Rollout Flood Eichenberg -1 This is almost the opposite of two plays ago. Sawyer (-1) gets the exact same play, but this time heads inside. There isn't a linebacker in sight. Tuimoloau should be doing what Sawyer is doing. Yet, Hickman (+1.5) comes flying down, and Eichenberg (+2.5) cleans up with a sack after shedding a block beautifully. Maybe this is what Sawyer was supposed to do earlier? I don't know. Coverage +1. Pressure +2.
5:58 N32 2 11 Gun Twin TE 4-2-5 Boundary 3           Timeout
5:45 N32 2 11 Gun Y Flex Trips Bunch 4-2-5 Over 1 Run   Quick Pitch Ransom 3 Williams (+1) gets immediate penetration, but the play is to the outside. Tuimoloau (+1.5) does a really nice job of funneling the back to the sideline, and Ransom (+0.5) cleans up.
5:19 N35 3 8 Gun Y Flex Trips  4-2-5 3-3-5 Leo 7  5 Pass 4 Curl Brown 0 Brown (+2) practically baits this throw, as he is all over the curl. Play-calling -1 to put him back in the situation, but Brown might have had a pick six if the throw was more on target. Coverage +2.
0:12 N13 1 10 Gun Y Flex Trips Bunch Left 4-2-5 3-3-5 Leo 7 1 Pass 4 Streak Burke 32 Burke (-2) gets beat here, but I am not convinced it was caught. Wasn't even reviewed. Embarrassing. Pressure -0.5. Coverage -2.
Fourth Quarter                          
15:00 N45 1 10 Gun Empty Tight 4-2-5 Boundary 1 Read Option   Inverted Veer Simon 14 Jean-Baptiste is read. Ohio State completely out of position, this is all play call. Play-calling -1.5.
14:30 O41 1 10 Gun Twin TE Pair Boundary 4-2-5 Show Blitz 1 Pass 6 PA Streak Brown -15 OPI on Brown (+1). Good call, as he was pulled down. ND tried a lot of hurry-up stuff and motion, but Ohio State always knew where to be. This defense is extremely well coordinated. Play-calling +1 as the blitz forces a fast throw. Pressure +1. Coverage +1. 
14:11 N44 1 25 Gun Y Flex Trips Right 4-2-5 Boundary 2 Read Option   Inverted Veer Vincent 7 Vincent (+0.5.) with some good hustle to make the tackle with Eichenberg.
13:55 O49 2 18 Gun Twin TE Pair Field Jt Mtn 4-2-5 Over 3 Read Option   Inverted Veer Eichenberg 0 I believe Eichenberg (+2) is being read here, butTyleik Williams (+2) is immediately in the backfield which forces a give. Either way, that was the correct read. Sawyer (+0.5) contains the back to force him back in to Eichenberg, who makes a big hit.
13:23 O49 3 18 Gun Y Flex Trips Right 4-2-5 Boundary 5 Run   QB Draw Hall 3 Hall (+2) nearly handles the quarterback himself, but Eichenberg (+0.5) is also there on the tackle. Punt. Play-calling +1 because I hate the draw there for ND. 
4:56 N25 1 10 Gun Empty 4-2-5 Field 4 Pass 4 Curls McCallister 0 Pass is underthrown, but would have been a short gain. 
4:42 N25 2 10 Gun Empty 4-2-5 ABC ABC Pass 4 Curls Chambers 0 Chambers (+1) makes a nice play to break up the pass. Coverage +1.
4:41 N25 3 10 Gun 4W 4-2-5 Show Blitz 1 Pass 4 Verticals Hall -7 Hall (+2)  gets through the line, as the tackle is expecting Sawyer on the outside. Pressure +2. Punt.
End of Game                          

This doesn’t look like the same team as last year.

If you have ever been curious as to what kind of difference the right coaches can make, look no further than the Oregon game last year to the Notre Dame game this year. For some of these players, like Michael Hall, they are no longer freshmen and are finally contributing. Other guys, like Eichenberg, Ransom, and Hickman played a lot last year and were coming in as veterans. I thought I knew what to expect from them. They did not look like the same players, and I still have a hard time believing they are the same guys I watched last year on film.

Outside of the players themselves playing better, the defense was so well prepared. The second defensive play of the fourth quarter (14:30) illustrates this perfectly, as though Notre Dame attempts to hurry up, Ohio State is ready for it, and as they back out and motion to a new formation, Ohio State again is ready for it. Nothing caught this team off guard, which is something that I could not say at all in the first two games last year and something I said maybe once afterward. Again, I can’t say enough good things about the coaching in this game. It was the first time I have charted an Ohio State defensive coach out-calling their opponent.

Here are the players’ aggregate scores over the game:

Defensive Chart
Player + - T Percentage Notes
defensive line          
zach harrison 3.5 0 3.5 100 New defense is a better fit for his skillset.
Michael Hall 12 1.5 10.5 88.9 Insane. Don't know how you take him off the field.
taron vincent 2 1 1 66.7 Didn't show up much in the charting but did a lot of the dirty work, including freeing Hall up on stunts. Those are filed as play-calling wins, but Vincent made them work.
jt tuimoloau 5.5 2 3.5 73.3 Jumps off the screen as a talent. Only real misstep was the first snap of the game. 
jack sawyer 2.5 1 1.5 71.4 Looks like the only one really playing the Jack/Leo position right now.
javonte jean-baptiste 1 0 1 100 He was servicable when he was out there against a quality line.
tyler friday 0 0 0 0 Not charted.
tyleik williams 4 0 4 100 A little surprised he played this little, but he was good while he was in there. 
ty hamilton 1 0 1 100 Played well last year. A little surprised to see him play so little, though he is a bit undersized still.
jerron cage 0 0 0 0 Not charted.
total 31.5 5.5 26 85.1 Really like the way they played. Definitely more focus on the run than the pass, but it worked perfect for this game.
linebackers          
tommy eichenberg 9.5 1.5 8 86.4 Continues from last year. In this defense, though, he looks like an All-B10 linebacker. Outstanding.
steele chambers 3.5 0 3.5 100 Looked flawless. Surprised he rotated so much. 
cody simon 0 0 0 0 Same playing time as Chambers, but he didn't make as many plays. He made one, but missed the tackle. Still, better than last year. Considering the opponent, it seems like an improvement.
total 13 1.5 11.5 89.7 Eichenberg was everywhere. Chambers looks plenty good out there too. Linebacker doesn't seem like a weakness, but we will see.
secondary          
cameron brown 3 1 2 75 Good score for a corner. Did well 1-on-1 against Mayer for the most part. 
denzel burke 2 4 -2 33.3 Not his best game. Still, he was not given a whole lot of help due to the scheme. 
josh proctor 0 2 -2 0 Missed tackle and then benched for Ransom. Looks the part and still think he could be a great player this year. 
lathan ransom 9 0 9 100 I think this is the best I've graded a defensive back. I refuse to believe this is the same player from last year.
tanner mccallister 0.5 2.5 -2 16.7 Rough in man-coverage. Still, he wasn't targeted much.
ronnie hickman 6 1 5 85.7 Seemed steady last year. Again, looked like a different guy. Starting to see a trend.
cameron martinez 0 0 0 0 Not Charted.
Total 20.5 6.5 14 75.9 Best score I've ever charted from the secondary, I think.
Metrics          
pressure 13.5 1.5 12 90 Consistently pressured the quarterback.
coverage 7 3.5 3.5 66.7 Not a ton of downfield passing.
tackling 12.5 5 7.5 71.4 Last year was around 50%, so this was a significant improvement.
play calling 17.5 12 5.5 59.3 This is the first time I can remember the defense winning the play-calling battle. Crazy how much coaching makes a difference.

Most of the high scores are congruent with what was obvious during the first watch, but some of these scores are genuinely unusual. Each level of the defense had at least one player who played exceptionally well, and a couple were shocking to me.

While they were considered the weakness of the defense in summer, they didn’t play like it at all. Eichenberg was all over the place, and consistently showed good sideline-to-sideline speed. He was the least surprising standout of the day. He’s fast, instinctive, and is always in the right spot. Even in a conference like the B1G, he could reach First-Team All-Conference this year. It is only one game, but he has been continually improving for most of the past year.

I was surprised to see a rotation between Chambers and Simon, however. Chambers had been much better last year and seemed to establish himself as the early starter. Knowles did seem hesitant though when someone asked him about Chambers in a press conference, so perhaps he hasn’t played as well in practice as someone like Eichenberg. Either way, I thought he outplayed Simon in this game as well, and certainly had more highlights. Having said that, I didn’t really see a big mistake for either of them. Simon had a missed tackle, but that was after shooting through the gap to get into the backfield, and the gain was minimal. They both played adequately, though I still prefer Chambers. Still, a healthy Cody Simon will be an upgrade over a hobbled one.  

While I thought the defensive line was the best part of the defense last year, they were still lacking someone on the inside that could really wreak havoc, especially with Haskell Garrett hurt for most of the year. It seems as if they’ve someone, as Mike Hall had the best day of anyone on defense. I think Taron Vincent played well too, though Vincent mostly just did his job destroying blocks on the interior of the line, while Hall slipped through multiple times. Either way, when those two were in, there wasn’t much running room at all in the interior. Hall was dynamic when he was in last year, but there were only a few plays when he was in, and it was all in garbage time. I would never have seen this coming.

The biggest change Knowles made with the defensive line was to change their overall philosophy. Instead of trying to get into the backfield as quickly as possible, they have to ruin the offensive blocking scheme as much as possible. This is a run-defense focused change, and the defense will give up some pass-rush in order to clog interior lanes. For bigger defensive-ends like Harrison and Tuimoloau, this is a positive change. I don’t think either of those guys are pure pass rushers and are strong-side defensive ends based on their size. When those two were out there, ND had no success running the football. Though, too be fair, they had almost no success running the football the entire day. I do think this change in philosophy fits their skillsets better. Knowles is known to have drastically different gameplans for different teams though, so the personnel may change at the ends spot depending on the opponent. I guess we will see.

Jack Sawyer is currently the only one playing the Jack/Leo position, and he is constantly moving around the formation. I expected them to implement it like a 4-man front with the Leo just kind of floating, but they do play it like a 3-man front with an outside linebacker moving around different gaps. There was a decent chunk of it this game, but not nearly as much as I expected given what I saw at Oklahoma State. This might be one of the things we see more of as the defense gets a little less basic.

Easily the biggest surprise of the game though was seeing Lathan Ransom supplant Josh Proctor and perform spectacularly, for a multitude of reasons. First, Proctor was probably the safety I was most sure of going into the year, and he was the only defensive back to look comfortable with Coombs as the coordinator. Second, Ransom seemed undersized for the strong safety position; if he were to play anything I would expect free safety like he was recruited for or nickel safety like he played last year. Third, Ransom didn’t play all that well last year. Given a choice between him, Cam Martinez, and Kourt Williams, I would have put him third on that list a year ago.

Ransom supplanted Proctor after a single missed tackle and went on to have the best game I have graded for a safety. I have only been grading games for the past year, but this is the best safety performance I can remember since 2016 when Malik Hooker was doing some amazing things. I’ve said it already, but he looked like an entirely different player. The athletic potential was there, but he looked like an All-American in this game. His tackling (1Q 8:07, 2Q 8:42, 2Q 8:06, 2Q 0:23, 3Q 14:04) was consistently outstanding. All the tackles called out above were unusually good, quality tackles, especially for a safety. I don’t know how you take him off the field after that performance.

As for the other defensive backs, Ronnie Hickman also looked like a different guy from last year. He has always been dependable, but he seems to have taken another step in a more natural position. Cameron Brown was asked to defend Michael Mayer on multiple occasions throughout the night, and he did well for the most part. He got beat on a curl route, but later in the drive baited an ill-advised throw that might have been picked off if it were more accurate. Denzel Burke and Tanner McCallister got burned a few times. It wasn’t always punished, but there was room there for a more accurate downfield passing attack. This might be a potential weakness going forward, but again, it is only one game.

What should we worry about?

Nothing!

No, there are still plenty of issues to be worried about here. For one, we have only seen this defense for one game, and there were some spectacular individual performances that led to the overall success of the defense. It will take a few more games to really figure out what this defense will look like this year. It is certainly possible that this was an exceptional performance, and the defense will regress to their natural mean. It is also possible that Notre Dame was a particularly weak offense, and so the defensive performance was not all that great.

The passing defense was also rough at times, though the feast or famine nature of the defense prevented frequent scoring. 9.8 YPA is a very high number, especially for a team that is not expected to pass all that well. It is especially concerning that Burke and McCallister were beaten over the top multiple times. This is really the only aspect of the team I am worried about at the moment.

What should we not worry about?

Last year’s defense making a reappearance. When I watch the defense pre-snap, there is no longer any confusion. Post-snap, every player knows what they are doing. Even if they aren’t perfect, I can’t see there being another 2021 Michigan performance that isn’t an extreme outlier.

What should we be excited about?

The entirety of the defense. Going into the season, we didn’t expect the defense to have to win many games as long as it gives the offense a chance. Against Notre Dame, the Ohio State defense straight up won the game. I don’t want to jump to too many conclusions about the 2022 based on a single defensive performance, but I think I can say that after a single game, the defense’s ceiling is a lot higher than most people expected. This defense has the chance to be one of the elite units in the country, though it is too early to see if they will reach their heights. For now though, we can say that the defense can, at least on occasion, carry Ohio State to victory.

This series was inspired by MGoBlog's Upon Further Review

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 64 Comments