Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Defensive Scheme

+4 HS
buckeye_in_WI's picture
September 12, 2021 at 11:24am
76 Comments

Day said it, we've all said it, the defense needs an overhaul probably at every level but starting with coaching and scheme. I'm not as skilled at recognizing Xs and Os and certainly have no experience coaching, but it seems to me that tOSU defenses have relied on our front 4 to create pressure and then mostly playing man to man with occasional zones.

This worked well we we had guys like the Bosas and Chase Young who either couldn't be stop or needed double and triple teaming to stop, which opened up chances for our other lineman to get pressure. But we clearly were spoiled as we have what appears to be 4 solid guys but none who are unblockable.

I think the defensive scheme needs to recognize this and admit we just aren't going to reliably get any presure with just our front 4 and start mixing in some blitzes. One of the comments Klatt made yesterday that I remember is that we aren't giving the QB any different looks on defense, which allows him to identify the D and find his open guy. So I think this is possibly one area where our D can change it up, rely more on blitzing and changing packages and looks so we aren't so predictable on defense.

Thoughts?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 76 Comments