Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Chase Young's Stats: Adjusted for Inflation

+7 HS
You can't spell chump without UM's picture
October 29, 2019 at 8:00pm
14 Comments

First off, I wanted to thank Ohiowhitesnake for giving me the idea for doing this by creating this forum post asking what Young's stats would be if he played an entire game. Also have to give a huge shout out to Dan Hope and Matt Gutridge, aka Remy, both of whom tally all the snap counts every week. Without their weekly snap count articles, this would've taken me much, much longer.

What would Chase Young's stats be if he played an entire game every week? I've taken the liberty in crunching the numbers for all those curious. Granted, I don't take into account the draining fatigue that would come with playing every single defensive snap or every single game. With that being said, let's take a look firstly at Young's actual numbers.

Young has played 313 snaps through 8 games this season, an average of just over 39 plays per game. With his 13.5 sacks thus far, he's averaging a sack every 23 plays... not just pass attempts, 23 plays. The Silver Bullets as a group have played 509 downs through 8 games, 226 of those being pass attempts. Meaning opposing teams drop back to throw 44% of the time. With Young's 13.5 sacks, he gets a sack per every 17 pass attempts, and this includes the times he isn't even on the field. Young also has 5 forced fumbles, getting a strip sack on every 45 pass attempts, and every 63 plays he's on the field.

Now we enter the hypothetical stage. Young has accumulated all his gaudy statistics while playing on only 63% of the defensive snaps. What if he played every singe snap? If we go by his averages at this rate, and assumed he was the most consistent player on the face of the universe, Young's sack per 23 plays would tally him at 21.5 sacks, with his next sack coming on the 11th defensive snap in the upcoming game against Maryland. Young would also have 3 more forced fumbles.

For the TL;DR crowd: If Young played every single play on defense, he'd have 21.5 sacks (2.5 shy of tying the all-time single season record) and 8 forced fumbles. Needless to say, he's pretty good.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 14 Comments