Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

CBS Sports Writer Says Buckeyes Unlikely to Repeat As B1G East Champs

+4 HS
iowabuckeyes's picture
March 16, 2019 at 7:30am
90 Comments

In an article entitled “Friday Five: Reigning college football division champions least likely to repeat in 2019 season,” CBS Sports writer Tom Fornelli (whoever he is) picks Ohio State as one of five 2018 division champs least likely to repeat:

5. Ohio State: The Buckeyes are here for a few reasons. One of them is that they play in the Big Ten East, which means they have some stiff competition from schools like Penn State, Michigan State, Michigan and maybe even a Maryland team that's more talented than most Big Ten squads. Still, the real reason I have Ohio State here is the turnover.

Urban Meyer is gone. I think Ryan Day could be successful at Ohio State, as he has the most talented roster in the conference and he's getting Justin Fields to replace Dwayne Haskins. Still, we've never seen Fields take on a full-time role and Day has been a head coach for three games. I'm not just going to assume everything will run smoothly. After all, in 2010 Ohio State went 12-1 and won the Sugar Bowl. Then Jim Tressel was fired and replaced by Luke Fickell, who inherited a team that had a lot of talent and the No. 2 dual-threat QB in the country taking over as a freshman in Braxton Miller. The Buckeyes then proceeded to go 6-6 and eventually hire Meyer.

The other four 2018 division champs he thinks won’t repeat: 4) Texas; 3) Utah; 2) Northwestern; and 1) Pittsburgh.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 90 Comments