Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Which Redshirt Freshman Will "Come Out of Nowhere" This Year?

+4 HS
buckeye phi's picture
February 11, 2017 at 2:50pm
63 Comments

Redshirt Freshmen may be the most overlooked players in the program in any given season.  But this year, that may be the case even more so.  With a record-setting* recruiting class coming in - and more established starters returning than last season - it could be easy to overlook some of the twelve freshman the coaches redshirted last year. 

But almost every year a rs freshman bursts on to the scene.  Sometimes, it's a player everyone is expecting to come in and take over a position - like Mike Weber last season.  But other times it's a player who seemingly comes out of nowhere - like Darron Lee in 2014  

There doesn't appear to be a Weber-like situation on the horizon this year.  No rs frosh who is a clear heir-apparent for any position - other than Drew Chrisman at punter. 

So - who will it be this year?  I have a few in mind. 

There has been a great deal of talk about the two open cornerback positions (three, if you want to include the nickel).  It's natural to assume that the two players who actually had some playing time last season might have an edge.  Denzel Ward is a strong favorite for one spot - and Damon Arnette will certainly, at least, be in the mix for the other. 

But a five-star class of '17 recruit is already with the program as an early enrollee.  It's conceivable Jeffrey Okudah could step in and start as a true freshman.  Another 5-star classmate of his, Shaun Wade, (who is also an early enrollee) could easily figure in to the mix at corner, as well.

However, I've heard precious little about rs freshman, Wayne Davis.  Davis was a 4-star recruit in his own right (in 2016) and it's reasonable to assume he has benefited from having been in the program for a year.   I think he could "come out of nowhere" this Spring as a factor at corner. 

Staying on the defensive side of the ball, I'm very interested in seeing how Malik Barrow has developed.  His high school career ended prematurely due to an ACL injury (hence, the redshirt).  A 4-star recruit - it was widely believed he could have risen to the 5-star level at the rate he was improving leading up to the injury. 

There was a lot of hand-wringing on national signing day when 5-star defensive tackle, Marvin Wilson, decided to take his talents elsewhere.  But it could be we've had (roughly) his equivalent developing during the last year right under our noses. 

On offense,there is one rs freshman who I think may become a significant factor this season.  Jake Hausmann was a high 4-star recruit in '16.  Coming in a touch on the light side for his 6'5" frame to be a starting tight end at Ohio State - hopefully, he has benefited from a year of training under Coach Mick. 

The team's two returning tight ends, Marcus Baugh and AJ Alexander, are fine receivers - but it's fair to say neither one is known as a devastating blocker, by any means.  That tells me there could be an opportunity for a kid who's been killing it in the weight room to get some significant playing time as a TE who can catch - and block at an elite level. 

We redshirted three offensive lineman last year, by the way.  But I don't really anticipate any of them cracking the starting line-up this season.   I'm bringing it up mainly because I believe Jack Wohlabaugh may represent our future at center. 

Of course, by definition, it wouldn't really be "coming out of nowhere", if we can anticipate it happening - so I hope I didn't jinx anyone.  But those are my choices as rs freshmen whose emergence will come as a surprise.  That is, a surprise to anyone who isn't reading this -

*Record-setting in the sense that OSU's '17 class had the highest average rating in the current era of the ratings systems.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 63 Comments