Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Examples of Kindness: Or Urban is a Good Dude

+35 HS
What Would Troy Smith Do's picture
February 7, 2017 at 5:03pm
36 Comments

OK, So this might be a bit long but I wanted to share with everyone some kindness and caring exhibited by Urban and the team.

I'll TL:DR this at the bottom for those with ADHD like myself.

Some background.  When I was 18, my mom passed away from lung cancer, leaving my Dad and two youngest sisters.  6 years later he re-married to a woman who he used to date in High School.  She had also lost her husband to cancer.  She has 2 kids herself.  Both older than me (I'll be 37 in 11 days).  One of them has 3 boys.  This is a story about the oldest (16) of the three.

Sorry in advance for at times being vague, especially when some of these places deserve a shout out for their good work, but I didn't ask if I could post this so I don't want to make this too identifiable.  Also, all 3 of the boys mentioned above are big OSU fans.  Hell, the oldest whom the story is about, may actually come here or even have an account. 

In April of this past year the 16 year old, who plays OL on his HS football team, was diagnosed with leukemia.  It's the same kind that Craig Sager passed away from.  He was immediately admitted and started on chemo.

His immediate future was essentially a hospital room in a different city than he actually lived.  He spent months there.  Upon being healthy enough he was able to go to a home for the next step of recovery.  Think of say a Ronald McDonald House type situation, where the kids can stay and so can the family.  If I get an OK or feel comfortable I'll name it but not at this time.  It is not in Ohio.  Nor do they live in Ohio.

This place was started by parents who had lost their own kid to cancer.  The kid who the home is named after was apparently a lacrosse player.  While my, I guess he'd be step-nephew??, was there he spoke to the namesakes old lacrosse coach.  I'm guessing he helps out. I don't know if he has an official role.

I mentioned earlier all 3 boys are big OSU fans despite not living in Ohio or having any connections other than my Dad.  I don't know what started their fandom but I suppose it isn't relevant. 

It turns out that this coach knew a/the (don't know which one) lacrosse coach at OSU.  Who, in turn, was friends with a defensive coach on the football team.  In my mind I've decided this is Larry Johnson.  I don't know why, I have nothing to back that up it's just what I picture. Honestly, it could be a different one, an old defensive coach (Fickell) or maybe even just a GA on that side of the ball. 

Either way, through that connection,  the 16 year old with cancer, was able to speak with that defensive coach, Malik Hooker, a few other players, and Urban Meyer.  Urban also had someone send him some cool OSU gear.  He even sent the actual Buckeye stickers that go on the helmets (I ended up with 3 of them. One for me and one for each of my boys.  Kinda cool if you ask me)

I suppose this story isn't all that spectacular.  I mean through a random connection he gets to speak to Urban and company.  Honestly who hasn't done a favor for a friend.

But, that isn't the end of it.  It could easily have been. Ok, great, I talked to a kid, lifted  his spirits, sent him some stuff, my work here is done.

However, a couple months later Christmas rolls around and what shows up but a package from the Urban Meyer (I realize I just wrote the Urban Meyer.  Upon reflection, I am not editing it).  He sent along a coaches jacket, signed program by the team and a few other things.  I saw the video of him opening up the package and the sheer joy in his face was really cool to see.

I thought it spoke volumes of him that he would continue to reach out.  Especially with the demands on his time.  I'm sure he's pulled in a million different directions but he spent the time to make sure this was done.

I'd be willing to bet this isn't the only package like this that was sent out.  I get the feeling that there is a pretty good culture around the program and Urban sets the tone.

I am also happy to report that my nephew is doing well, in remission, and his almost completely caught up with school work. With luck, he will be able to one day get back out on the football field and play varsity for his HS team.

Just a neat story I thought I'd share.

TL;DR  Urban, other players, and coaches all took time to talk with and send a few things to a kid who is a big fan, that is fighting cancer.  Then did it again on Christmas, totally unprompted, sending another package to him.  He is in remission now and doing very well.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 36 Comments