Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

A Not-so-boring Offseason, So Far

+7 HS
buckeye phi's picture
January 12, 2017 at 10:57am
23 Comments

Most college football programs get kinda quiet after their final game of the season.   Whether they played in a bowl game or not - the vast majority of teams go through a bit of an almost dormant period before they gradually get back in to organized off-season workouts, etc. 

But not Ohio State.  Oh, no.  In spite of having been the nation's least experienced team going in to the '16 season, the Buckeyes are poised to lead the nation once again in early departures for the NFL.  Six players with eligibility remaining have declared their intentions to enter the draft this April.  

It's gotten to the point where it's a dramatic announcement when a junior or red-shirt sophomore simply says they're staying with the team.  For instance, who didn't feel a sense of relief when Billy Price and Jamarco Jones announced their intentions to return for the '17 season?  

Given the incredible number off early departures the last couple of cycles, it's almost as if the team has gained a 5-star recruit every time a Price, a Jones, a Tyquan Lewis or a Sam Hubbard decides to stick around.  Make that a 5-star recruit with experience

Marshon Lattimore, Malik Hooker, Gareon Conley, Raekwon McMillan, Curtis Samuel and Noah Brown are all leaving.  But JT Barrett, Marcus Baugh, Price, Jones, Lewis and Hubbard are staying.  Hey - as far as potential early departures are concerned, we're batting .500 this year!

Then there's the coaching turnover.  Former co-defensive coordinator Luke Fickell is now the Head Coach at the University of Cincinnati.  And to no one's surprise, there was a significant shake-up on the offensive side of the ball. 

With the addition of Offensive Coordinator, Kevin Wilson - and Quarterbacks Coach, Ryan Day - hopes are high the Buckeyes' offense will improve dramatically.  After all, it shouldn't take much to bring the nation's 81st ranked passing offense back up to a level of respectability.  There's plenty talent on the roster. 

It seems there's always some last minute drama on the recruiting front.  There have been some impressive recent additions to the already extremely strong class of '17.  Considering we lost three of our four starters in the defensive backfield for the second year in a row - a few of those highly touted defensive back prospects could play right off the bat.  However, I have to admit - I did not see Lindsey's de-committment coming. 

Boring?  I don't think so.  I have a feeling the off-season has been anything but dull so far for Urban Meyer -

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 23 Comments