Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

What is a run/pass option?

+20 HS
Buckeye_Wizard's picture
September 20, 2016 at 11:36am
10 Comments

Most of us hear this phrase all the time...run/pass option or RPO.  But what does it really mean?  Below are my thoughts about one of the plays the Buckeyes ran over the weekend.  The Buckeyes use a RPO near the goal line often.  And it is my opinion the Ohio St. coaches are really, really smart and our team is well coached. Consequently, the Ohio St. offense puts quite a bit of stress on opposing defenses.

The play is the first TD catch for Noah Brown.  It is 3rd and 1 from the opponent's four yard line.  On the previous play, 2nd down, the Buckeyes ran a QB running play which was another RPO for a two yard gain.  

Notice the formation.

1. There are four eligible receivers to the right of the formation.
  2. There is one eligible receiver (Noah Brown) to the left of the formation.
  3. J.T. Barrett is the only person in the backfield.

The play has three options.  They are:

1. J.T. Barrett run to middle of formation using a wham scheme with Marcus Baugh.
  2. Pass left to Noah Brown.
  3. Hitch screen right to Johnnie Dixon.

No player (other than the QB) has any idea what play will actually be run.  Each player must execute their job as if the play will be run to them.  J.T.'s job is to read what is the most successful play option (run or pass) given the alignment of the defense and execute it accordingly.

The play will go as such...

1. Marcus Baugh will go in motion from right to left. His movement causes the defense to move.  Notice the defender on the left moves closer to the line of scrimmage and a safety from the right moves to the middle of the field.  This movement of the defense effectively takes away the "run" option since there are more defenders (seven) near the middle of the field and the o-line plus Baugh only make six blockers
  2. However, the defensive movement has opened the other two passing options.  To the right, J.T. can throw the hitch screen with two blockers against three defenders.
  3. To the left, J.T. can throw to his 6'2" and 220lb wideout which now has one on one coverage against a much smaller Oklahoma defender by the name of Paris Cobb.  Paris is a freshman listed at 5'11" and 175lbs.

I am 100% confident that the Ohio State staff was well aware of the possible matchups Noah Brown would draw against Oklahoma long before the game.  I would be willing to bet that the staff thought this would be a favorable matchup.  Hence, J.T. chose wisely and exploited Noah Brown's height and weight advantage for an easy TD.

Enjoy!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 10 Comments