Ohio State football fan talk.

SI Anonymous Coaches Talking Smack

-3 HS
BuckeyeDave's picture
August 12, 2016 at 11:30am
81 Comments

So they said this....

No. 9 Ohio State

"I know this is going to sound weird because they finished No. 2 nationally in scoring defense, but new co-defensive coordinator Greg Schiano will make them much better. His specialty at Rutgers were his third down pressure packages on defense, as he was great at finding creative ways to get to the quarterback. Ohio State will force a lot more turnovers because of what he'll be able to do on third down.

Ohio State's identity will be completely different on defense, as last year you strategized around Joey Bosa not wrecking the game and neutralizing Darron Lee at linebacker. I thought Gareon Conley, who returns at corner, and Eli Apple (the No. 10 pick in the NFL Draft) were similar talents. You actually saw a lot of teams throw at Apple because he committed pass interference a lot. One way teams took advantage of them last year was taking the slot receiver, running him 10 or 12 yards downfield and then to the sideline. Ohio State's safeties struggled to cover and people hit it on them. I thought middle linebacker Raekwon McMillan was overrated. He was athletic and pretty looking but lacked great instincts. They don't return any guys who are first rounders on their defensive line, so they'll be an adjustment there.

With J.T. Barrett entrenched as the starter, Urban Meyer can get back in his comfort zone. Just like with Alex Smith at Utah and Tim Tebow at Florida, he's going to challenge defenses by forcing you to defend the quarterback run. They're really going to miss the experience of Ezekiel Elliott, especially in pass protection. I wonder how talented their offensive line will be. Last year, Taylor Decker was the guy our staff really liked. Other than him, no one really scared you. They'll miss Mike Thomas at receiver, but they have quality depth. That group was raw and young, but they can play."

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 81 Comments