Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Leaping in to Position in '16

0 HS
buckeye phi's picture
March 1, 2016 at 4:32pm
55 Comments

The last day of the NFL combine was February 29th.  On the heels of leap day – and the combine, it might be an interesting exercise to predict which Buckeyes might be leaping in to starting roles next season. 

In this case, "leaping" refers to a player jumping over another player for a spot on the anticipated depth chart - in to a starting job in '16.  (“Anticipated” by me – in this instance)

Obviously, there haven't been any official depth charts released for the 2016 season, yet.  There won't be until the week of the opener.  But perhaps we can make some semi-educated guesses now as to what the line-up might look like. 

Technically, we're only returning three starters on offense and three on defense.  But there are certainly some commonly held assumptions about who will be filling most of those openings.  That would be largely based on the final depth chart from the '15 season (the bowl game) - as well as other input - like coaches comments, etc. 

The starting defensive line listed below is the same group that played most of the Fiesta Bowl together, by the way.  That's the only unit where all the starters for the first game of the '16 season should remain unchanged from the primary players from last game of the '15 season.  

Remember, Washington was suspended, Schutt was injured and Bosa was disqualified for (most of) that game.  Every other unit except quarterback will see significant changes in '16.

I'm using an “(or)” in cases where I believe the player who will actually start is a true toss-up at this time

So – I'm assuming the offense may look something like this:
-
WR (x) - Noah Brown
LT - Malcolm Pridgeon
LG - Billy Price
C - Pat Elflein
RG - Evan Lisle (or) Demetrious Knox
RT - Jamarco Jones (or) Isaiah Prince
TE - Marcus Baugh
WR (z) - Corey Smith
QB - JT Barrett
RB - Curtis Samuel (or) Mike Weber
H-back - Dontre Wilson (or) Curtis Samuel

In two-tight end sets (z) - AJ Alexander

In 4-wide sets (y) - Parris Campbell 

Note:  Curtis Samuel will probably play both running back and H-back in '16 – at least until Weber earns Coach Meyer's full confidence at RB (just in case that part was a little confusing)
-
Defense:
-
SDE - Sam Hubbard
DT(3) - Donovan Munger (or) Tracy Sprinkle
DT(1) - Michael Hill
WDE - Tyquan Lewis
SLB - Chris Worley (or) Jerome Baker
MLB - Raekwon McMillan
WLB - Dante Booker
FC - Damon Webb (or) Marshon Lattimore
SS - Erick Smith
FS - Malik Hooker (or) Cam Burrows
BC - Gareon Conley

Nickel - Marshon Lattimore (or) Damon Webb

In the “rushmen package” Nick Bosa may come in at defensive tackle – the role his brother had in that package in '15.  The difference being Nick won't be starting at DE (at least, probably not right away)
-
That's my best guess as to who the coaches would start at every offensive and defensive position if the season was to start tomorrow - assuming everybody stays healthy, of course. 

But the point here is to predict which players who are not listed above might leap-frog in to a starting role by the time the season starts - or shortly, thereafter.

For instance, I believe there's an excellent chance Denzel Ward will jump ahead of the players who would probably be listed in front of him at field corner right now.  His work on special teams last season impressed me that much.  (This is, of course, assuming Gareon Conley will be moving to boundary corner in '16 - much like Eli Apple did in '15 and Doran Grant did in '14.)  

I think Eric Glover-Williams might take over at nickel – partially because, in my opinion, he's ideally suited for that role – and partially because I'm concerned about Lattimore's hammys holding up for any appreciable length of time.  By the way, I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see EGW returning punts this year, too.

I also think KJ Hill will take over one of the wide receiver spots – although, that might be harder to determine since I also believe there will be more of a rotation at wide receiver this year, in any case.  I could see Torrance Gibson making a bid for significant playing time at wide receiver as well.

Another position where I could see a jump is at that second tight end spot.  According to everything I've heard/read, Jake Hausmann is the real deal.  In spite of being a true freshman, I could see him taking on that role – and possibly even winning the primary tight end starting job by the time the season is over -  

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 55 Comments