Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

The Standing Debate - My Game Experience

0 HS
BGSUBucksFan's picture
November 22, 2015 at 8:24am
86 Comments

The Horse Shit Shoe

There's nothing that pisses me off more about The Shoe game experience these days than the inevitable arguing with fellow Ohio State fans because of my refusal to sit down during a game.  Sure enough, moments after kickoff, this happened...again.

Let me start by saying I will grant your wish for me to sit if you have a small child or are disabled. If you truly are disabled, though, and it's not obvious, then you would need to tell me this.  I can't tell from your totally normal attire and posture that you may have knee/back/whatever problems.  With that being said, I think if you are in either of those situations, you should come to the game knowing fully well that the people in front of you may be standing and that's the risk you take if you would like to sit the whole game.  Those people are just as entitled to sit/stand in their seats as you are.  You don't have many viewing options upon purchasing a ticket, but I'll be damned if the option to sit or stand isn't one of them.

Anyways, last night was the usual, "I'd like to see the game. Sit down!" coming from two guys who I assume are just angry and lazy (yes, if you come to the game to sit and do not disclose any physical issues with me, then you are lazy in my eyes.  Stay at home on the damn couch).  One guy was directly behind me and the other was a few rows back and just felt the need to give his hot take regardless of the fact that his vantage point was unaffected by my standing.

One of the ushers noticed the repeated requests and refusal to sit and came over to inform the asshats that we were entitled to stand the whole game if we wanted to.  He also felt the need to tell us that we better obey their wishes in order to avoid further confrontation (not happening, pal).  The guy a few rows back eventually did decide to come down and confront me face to face.  Tough guy didn't swing, though, because he's built Ford tough.  This confrontation led to the usher taking us below and asking me if I'd like to press charges.  "Nope."  Needless to say, the guy who decided his hot take was worth the price of admission did not return to his seat.  And needless to stay, we stood the rest of the game without further confrontation.

The Shoe is no longer a top 10 intimidating environment for opponents.  I understand we set the attendance record, but that doesn't mean anything when the masses are generally quiet and sitting.  I can understand it being dull for the likes of a MAC opponent, but long gone are the days of losing my voice for days after a big game.  It's not for lack of trying, but you just tend not to yell as loud or as often if very few are joining you.

The whole standing thing has really gotten to a point where it's weighing into my decision on whether to attend a game or not.  Standing your ground is tiring and disruptive to the point of being there, and if I'm going to sit, I'd much rather do so in my living room.  That's pretty sad.  The lazy, quiet fans are driving away the ones that used to make The Shoe one of the hardest places to play.

And don't give me that BS about standing not offering any tactical advantage.  The players notice what the crowd is doing, and they're going to play harder and with more adrenaline when the crowd is into it.  And yes, the entire stadium standing vs. sitting most definitely plays into their thoughts on whether or not the crowd is into it.

Go Bucks!

TL;DR - Standing is fun, so let those who stand be.  Get off your ass and cheer the whole damn game, or stay home.  The Shoe isn't what it used to be.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 86 Comments