Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Is There a Burrow Scenario?

0 HS
buckeye phi's picture
November 7, 2015 at 5:54pm
29 Comments

First of all, I'm expecting Cardale to play well against Minnesota.  I believe he'll be able to make them pay for loading the box and daring him to beat them through the air.  I'm also expecting to see Braxton playing quarterback in the red zone.  And possibly even throwing the ball a few times. 

That's what I'm expecting. 

But like everyone else, I've yet to see Braxton throw the ball with velocity in live action.  Until it happens, I'm going to suspect there may be a reason for that.

It's highly unlikely we're "saving it for Michigan State".  If teams were honoring the pass more when Braxton's been at qb, it would have only served to open up the running game more - so I sincerely doubt that's been UFM's strategy.  Although - every week that passes may well be another week closer to seeing him throw - for a variety of reasons (but mainly due to the status of his shoulder, obviously). 

So, the thought occurred to me - that if Braxton is, in fact, still unable to throw with velocity at this time - what would happen when we have the ball outside of the red zone if Cardale struggles significantly (as he has a few times already this season)? 

Due to JT's suspension, Joe Burrow was moved up to the third team in practice this week.  I was surprised to see him move past Stephen Collier, but UFM even commented on Burrow in, at least, one of his pressers.  Apparently, he truly would be our third option at qb for this game. 

We should be able to beat Minnesota rather comfortably.  But they're certain to load the box against us - more-or-less daring us to beat them through the air.  Minnesota is good enough that it would be foolish of us to think we could beat them without being able to pass effectively.

Again - I'm "expecting" Cardale to light the Gophers up through the air.  But I've also expected that kind of performance earlier in the season and come away sorely disappointed. 

If (heaven forbid) Cardale comes out of the shoot turning the ball over again - and - if Braxton can't really throw yet - is there even a possibility we'd see our third string quarterback, true Freshman, Joe Burrow take the field?

I'm not a "JT guy" or a "Cardale guy" (I don't care for the very idea of such a thing).  I'm a tried and true Buckeye.  I don't mean to be picking on anybody.  But to anyone with any level of objectivity, there certainly has been enough precedent to pose the question. 

Also - before anybody gets too upset with me for even asking the question - just remember, it's not my fault the game doesn't start until 8pm and I've had time to over-think things so much -

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 29 Comments