Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Blast From The Past: Nov. 7th, 1998 // Michigan State

Matt Gutridge's picture
November 6, 2015 at 6:31am
50 Comments
Rough DayOhio State is 5-2 against Michigan State when the Buckeyes are ranked No. 1. 

MICHIGAN STATE at No. 1 Ohio State // NOVEMber 7, 1998
  1st 2nd 3rd 4th Final
MICHIGAN STATE 3 6 9 10 28
No. 1 OHIO STATE 17 0 7 0 24

BACKGROUND

The Buckeyes entered this game with an 8-0 record and ranked No. 1 in the country. To this point Ohio State was defeating its opponents by an average score of 38-9. Michigan State was coached by Nick Saban and was a middle of the road team.

OHIO STATE PLAYERS
  • Joe Germaine was 16/34 for 239 yards a touchdown and an interception.
  •  Damon Moore had a 73-yard interception return for a touchdown.
  • Michael Wiley rushed for 100 yards, averaged 4.5 yards per carry and a touchdown.

MICHIGAN STATE'S PLAYERS
  • Bill Burke completed 18/46 passes for 323 yards a touchdown and an interception.
  • Plaxico Burress had 125 yards receiving and averaged 31.3 ypr.
  • Sedrick Irvin led the Spartans with 52 yards rushing and averaged 2.0 yards per carry.
  • Paul Edinger tied a school record by making 5 field goals.
  • Linebacker Julian Peterson had 9 tackles, 2 forced fumbles and a sack.
Germaine5 turnovers against Michigan State cost Ohio State a championship season in 1998.

KEY PLAY OF THE GAME

Ohio State was up 24-12 in the 3rd quarter when a punt went off the back of Nate Clements and recovered by Michigan State. The Spartans would get a field goal, but momentum had shifted and it could be felt in the stadium.

QUOTABLE

After the game John Cooper said this to the AP:

"The key play of the game, obviously, is when Joe Germaine fumbled the ball, we're lucky they didn't score a touchdown."

Michigan State coach Nick Saban:

"I told the team it was going to be a 15-round fight and we needed to be Rocky in that 15th round."

THE REST OF THE STORY

The next week Ohio State traveled to Iowa and dispatched the Hawkeyes 45-14. The Buckeyes would finish the season winning the last three games. That included defeating That Team 31-16 and Texas A&M in the 1999 Sugar Bowl. Ohio State finished the 1998 season tied for first in the Big Ten and No. 2 in both the USA Today/ESPN and AP polls.

MY THOUGHTS ON THE 1998 MICHIGAN STATE GAME

Ohio State was the best team in college football in 1998. I was at this game and the crowd became very complacent when the Buckeyes went up 17-0 in the first quarter. I told those I was there with that I didn't like the vibe. I definitely didn't like the vibe when the fourth quarter ended.

When it was over, I sat in the stadium for a long time. The thought that kept creeping in my mind was that this was the best shot Ohio State had at winning a national championship. I was concerned that the Buckeyes would never win a title in my lifetime. Fortunately those fears would be laid to rest four years later.

One game derailed what should have been a championship season in 1998. I hope history does not repeat itself Saturday night.

Ohio State's 1998 Schedule and Results
Oppontent Result Score
at No. 11West Virginia W 34-17
Toledo W 49-0
No. 21 Missouri W 35-14
No. 7 Penn State W 28-9
at Illinois W 41-0
Minnesota W 45-15
at Indiana W 38-7
Michigan State L 24-28
at Iowa W 45-14
That Team W 31-16
No. 8 Texas A&M W 24-14

Total 11-1 430-144

THIS WEEK'S ARTICLES

The Rundown: Minnesota at No. 1 Ohio State 
Recruiting Recon: Minnesota's Offense
Recruiting Recon: Minnesota's Defense

NEXT ARTICLES

This Date In Ohio State History: Nov. 7th (Sat)
The Ohio State Effect (Sun)
Prep Tracker Week 12 (Sun)

The original blog of this article can be found here.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 50 Comments