Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Big COY Race Wk 5

0 HS
StuckInMadTown's picture
October 7, 2015 at 8:16pm
17 Comments

Greetings and Salutations. As a Buckeye fan living in the Big West I thought it would be fun to take a look around the conference and see how the coaches stack up and do a bit of guessing on what would need to happen to win that most elusive of trophies, the Big Coach of the Year.

This is a Week 5 but we are also one conference game in so it seems like a good time to begin.

Ohio State 5-0: Nothing but perfection will do for Urban Meyer and probably not just that. I thought to begin the year he might get sympathy points for not winning it in 2014 and a conference championship would be enough. Now, I think he needs to win all the games decisively as well as other teams to flame out. 

Michigan State 5-0: I can't see it. Dantonio will suffer the Buckeye problem of high expectations which you can meet (and they have not so far) but never exceed. 

Northwestern 5-0: Fitzgerald is my pick for early favorite. Has the thing everyone seems to love for this award, a losing record last year. Strongest out of conference slate and gets a shot at TUN this week. 

Iowa 5-0: /shudders. Please no. 

TUN 4-1: See Northwestern for the losing record last year. Harbaugh needs to beat a rival but if he gets to 10-2 this could be his. Needs to knock off Northwestern this coming week. 

Indiana 4-1: All coaches need hype to win an award like this and even if Kevin Wilson gets this team to knock off MSU and TUN I just don't feel like they can generate the buzz necessary. 

Illinois 4-1: Voters are generally not in love with takeover coaches and they are suffering from the buzz factor of the folks above them like Indiana. Nevertheless, winning the West would have to get this to be the most impressive coaching job in the Big. 

Penn State 4-1: The negativity is too much at the start of the year to be considered yet. They would need to run the table for Franklin to win. 

Winning changes everything so the teams not listed still have a chance to vault forward in the coming weeks. What say you? Who has the best chance of winning the least properly awarded trophy in Football?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 17 Comments