Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

HEERO's CFP Assessement Week 4

0 HS
Heero1's picture
September 27, 2015 at 2:12pm
19 Comments

I decided to do an assesment of the college football world based on what we have see from teams SO FAR this season. This will not be comprehesive of every college team. Just the teams from each conference I feel have a shot at the Playoffs. At the end I'll list my top 4 CFP teams.

Pac12 - The Pac12 was a conference supposed to be on the rise, with the likes of USC regaining strength, UCLA coming on, Stanford building on past success, and Oregon's potent offenses. So far this college season, USC is becoming what FL St and Clemson used to be, a really talented team that wins a lot of games, but ALWAYS drops a game or 2 a season they had no business losing. I feel the best chances of the Pac-12 making a playoff run, will come from either UCLA, the percieved favorite, or a magic UTAH team. We know that Urban is the only coach in Utah history to ever go undefeated in a season, but with the butt-kicking they gave Oregon last night, Utah could be legit. UCLA is becoming a force in college football, they recruit fairly well and that will only increase with the success they are having, and they have a very good coach.

Conference winner : UCLA

BIG 12 - The Big 12 has 3 teams that could potentially make a push towards the playoff. Baylor, TCU, and Oklahoma. Baylor and TCU have a prolific offense, but play absolutely no defense. You can ask Oregon how that turns out every year. Oklahoma is the more well rounded team, but simply does not yet have the talent or offensive fire power to beat either team at this moment. It'll come down again to Baylor vs TCU, but whoever wins this game will have to make sure they stay undefeated throughout the rest of their season to get into the playoff. If both teams have 1 loss, the BIG 12 gets shutout from the playoff again this year.

Conference winner : TCU

ACC - The ACC also has 3 teams still alive in the playoff race, because ND plays the ACC schedule I am going to include them in this conference. Simply because if they go undefeated playing this confernce, they will go to the playoff and take this confereces spot. ND, Florida St, and Clemson are the only schools from this conference that have a legitmate shot at the playoff. Unfortunately I see at least 1 loss for each of those teams. ND lost their starting quarterback, and simply have a gauntlet to run in order to get in. And they HAVE TO go undefeated, simply becuase they don't/ won't play a top 5 team all season and won't play a conference Championship game. Every year they'll have to go undefeated, play and beat a top 5 team, or JOIN A CONFERENCE to get into the playoff. This season they will play a few teams in the 15-25 range but won't have a signature win to hang on. There hardest game will be @ #11 Clemson. In order for Clemson or Florida St to make the playoff they'll need to win the conference. If all of the teams listed have a loss this conference could be left out of the playoff.

Conference winner : Clemson

SEC - The SEC has 4 teams with a shot at the playoff. Ole Miss, Georgia, Bama, and LSU. I'm not listing TX A&M because I think they drop at least 2-3 games this season, although I do believe they will play the role of upestter of the conference. One or more of the teams listed will lose to A&M. Ole Miss seems to be the prohibited favorite out of the SEC thus far. They have a good defense and solid weapons on offense. Georgia possesses a prolific running game, with a solid play action passing game, and decent defense. Bama has good run game, very good run defense, but wish you could get more of a passing game. They're a flawed team. LSU has the best rushing attack in the country very good defense, but abysmal passing attack. Of the teams listed I think they all drop at least 1 game. Bama loses 1-2 more, Georgia, will well Georgia, Ole Miss is like the river boat gambler, and LSU can't throw the ball. A team like Bama could shut down Fournette, and Brandon Harris won't win the game for you. Whoever comes out of the SEC will need to have ONLY 1 loss or fewer. They WILL NOT get 2 teams into the playoff.

Conference winner : I'll go Ole Miss, simply because every other team will lose at least 1 game, while at this point there's no one on Ole Miss remaining schedule that SHOULD beat them.

B1G 10 - There are 3 teams with a shot at the playoff and depending how things shake out the B1G could get 2 teams in. The 3 teams are our beloved TOSU, MSU, and some of you won't like it but they are still alive, SCUM.

I'll start with TTUN. They do not nor should they pose a threat to TOSU or MSU, but at THIS point with there only loss to what looks to be like a pretty good UTAH team, they are still alive. They have a very stout defense, solid rushing attack, and poor passing game. The concern I have is they have not faced a good to elite UNIT. No team they have played, not even UTAH had what is a good or elite unit. They haven't faced a defense, rushing attack, or passing attack that could be considered a good barometer of there abilities. What they do have now though is a well prepared coaching staff, that playing to their strengths. Running, Time of Possession game, stout defense, and short intermdiate passing game. The problem will come in when they get down 2 touchdowns, and HAVE to throw downfield they will be screwed.

MSU - To be honest I don't feel MSU is as good a team this season as they were last year. Especially on defense. Losing 2 corners and Pat Narduzzi has taken its toll. They are going the distance with teams they would have destroyed last year. There running attack is young, and Connor Cook is NOT and elite QB. They should come into the horseshoe undefeated, whether they win that game, or its their ONLY loss is the formula to make the playoffs.

TOSU - We've watched the first 4 weeks of the season, and I think we all could agree, we're NOT where thought we would be as a team. We are undefeated and as long as we play and beat the teams on our schedule, there's nothing anybody can do to keep us out the playoff. Even with a loss to MSU, which I think we WIN by 2 touchdowns, we still get in. Reason being is everybody knows we have the most talented stacked roster in the nation. Talent wise we compare to USC in the Carroll era with Leinart (Cardale), Bush (EZE), Jarrett (Thomas), Khalil (Decker), Matthews (D Lee), Mays (Bell). I could even argue we have MORE talent than that team, (Bosa, Marshall, Samuel, Perry, Washington). Or even Miami in Basketball with LBJ, Dwade, and Bosh. Everybody knows and it doesn't matter what seed we get, if we make the playoffs we are the most dangerous team in the nation. We need to come together offensively and get into a rythym but we're IN.

Conference winner : TOSU

Playoff teams: #1 TOSU, #2 TCU, #3 Ole Miss, #4 UCLA bonus #5 MSU

What say you 11Warriors?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 19 Comments