Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

A Tribute to Our Three-Stars

0 HS
buckeye phi's picture
July 2, 2015 at 3:10pm
14 Comments

I was looking over our next two recruiting classes recently - and I was marveling over all the four and sometimes five-star prospects who have already committed and that we're hoping will commit to Ohio State, soon.  There were only a couple of three-star recruits in the bunch.

That prompted me to consider how many former 3-star recruits will be expected to contribute in a big way to this year's team.  In the interest of time, I'm going to limit myself to projected starters, although there are surely numerous other former 3-star players who are working just as hard and would also be worthy of mention.

It would be surprising if Darron Lee didn't come to most people's minds immediately.  You don't even need to be particularly familiar with the Buckeyes to know about him.  A former 3-star high school quarterback who became one of college football's top linebackers in the course of a couple of years is a very compelling story.

But there are several others.  Starting safety,Tyvis Powell also began his Ohio State career as a 3-star recruit.  Powell and Lee will be joined on defense this season by former 3-stars, Gareon Conley and Sam Hubbard. 

(Incidentally, I'm including them both because Urbz named Conley as the leader at his corner spot coming out of spring practice - and Hubbard is expected to be a significant part of a defensive end rotation)

On offense, half of our returning 'Slobs' are former 3-star recruits.  Where would we be without Jacoby Boren and Pat Elflein in the middle of the o-line? 

And (as of this minute), the only 100% healthy, experienced quarterback on the roster is former 3-star, Cardale Jones.  I know, I know, JT is at 95% according to Urbz - and we're hoping to hear good things about Braxton's shoulder in about a week, too.

But at this particular moment in time, it's still Cardale.  And besides, he fits in to the theme of this topic.

Sometimes, a 3-star is a "reach" or a "project".  Darron Lee is a classic example.  As most 11Wers know, Coach Fickell had to persuade Urbz to give Lee a scholarship. 

And sometimes, a high school player the coaches value is simply under-rated by the recruiting services.  We're fighting several other major programs to recruit a 3-star defensive back, right now.  (Although, because of that he may magically become a 4-star before you know it)

Like it or not, there is a correlation between highly ranked recruiting classes and winning championships.  It's surely an indirect relationship.  It's not player for player - or season to season.  But by and large, over the course of time, there can be no denying it's there. 

The teams with the best chances to win their conferences and be invited to the play-off will typically be teams that were consistently ranked in the top ten to fifteen  recruiting classes over the previous three to four years.

Following a national championship, higher rated recruits should naturally come with the territory, I suppose.  Certainly, we'll always carry a few "projects" and formerly under-rated players on the roster, but it appears we'll have even fewer of them down the road.

In any case, let's celebrate our current "over-performing" former 3-star recruits while we can. 

By the way, I based the "stars" on Rivals evaluations -

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 14 Comments