Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

This Day in Gray Box History: 6-25

Matt Gutridge's picture
June 25, 2015 at 9:47pm
16 Comments

This series will highlight the commitment anniversary date of Ohio State players. I have commitment dates from 2003-2015.

Note: I don't have all of the commitment dates for all of the players from those years, but I'm working on it. 

Devan Bogard had a .920 comp. rating and was the 12th ranked S in the 2012 class.

Devan Bogard had a .920 comp. rating and was the 12th ranked S in the 2012 class. 

ON JUNE 25, 2011 DEVAN BOGARD (S) COMMITTED TO OHIO STATE

From Bill Greene of scout.com:

Ohio State added the ninth commitment to their 2012 recruiting class Saturday evening, when Cleveland Glenville four-star defensive back Devan Bogard pledged to the Buckeyes. Bogard attended the Buckeye camp Saturday, but did not work out, and committed to Ohio State head coach Luke Fickell later that evening.

[...]

Bogard, 6-foot-1, 185-pounds, is one of the top defensive back prospects in Ohio for the 2012 class.

"I have committed to Ohio State," Bogard stated Saturday evening. "I was at camp today, but I didn't work out. When I returned home I decided to call (head coach) Luke Fickell and commit. Now I can just work on my grades and get better as a player without worrying about recruiting."

When pressed on why Ohio State was the best choice for him, Bogard responded with a simple two-word reply.

"It's family," he answered. "That's all I can say, and it just feels so good to be a part of it. Coach Fickell was so excited for me and that makes me feel good. I'm not worried about the NCAA stuff at all, and it doesn't matter to me at all."

"My head coach, Ted Ginn, was very happy for me and that meant a lot to me too," he added. "This is my home, and it just hit me today when I was down there. I thought about it the whole way home, and made up my mind it was the right thing to do."

Devan Bogard deserved a better fate than three ACL injuries.

Devan Bogard deserved a better fate than three ACL injuries.

BOGARD'S KNEE INJURIES PER PATRICK MAKS:

Urban Meyer said junior linebacker and special teams member Devan Bogard will potentially need surgery after suffering a knee injury against Rutgers Saturday.

“Your heart bleeds for him,” Meyer said Wednesday after practice.

Bogard, who came to Columbus as prized safety recruit out of Glenville High School in Cleveland, was carted off the field in the second quarter against the Scarlet Knights.

“We're saying our prayers tonight for him … He's a wonderful kid. Prayers with him,” Meyer said after the game.

Bogard’s last two seasons have ended in ACL tears. 

URBAN MEYER'S THOUGHTS ON BOGARD'S THIRD ACL INJURY PER BILL RABINOWITZ OF THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH:

“I don’t think the news is going to be good,” Meyer said. “I think he’s going to have to have surgery again. This would be his third one. Our players love him, I love him. He comes from a great mom in inner-city Cleveland, (from) Glenville. Just keep him in your prayers. He’s a Buckeye and always will be. He’ll get his degree. We’ll keep working with him.”

Bogard's 2014 season ended with the knee injury against Rutgers, but he remained on the team through the championship victory.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 16 Comments