Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Could a Two Quarterback System Work?

0 HS
buckeye phi's picture
May 6, 2015 at 5:29pm
52 Comments

Or to put it in another way - could Urbz make a two quarterback system work again?  Try as I might to block memories of Urban Meyer's dismantling of our Buckeyes in the 2006 national championship game, there was one unusual aspect of that Gator squad that could potentially apply to our 2015 team.  They played a two quarterback system.

The argument that the threat of Cardale's arm strength stretches defenses so much more than that of J.T. or Braxton, has its pros and cons.  I'm not sure I buy it.  It could be that the team was peaking at just the right time - at nearly every position.  After all, the defense was playing their best ball in the post-season, too.

But for the sake of argument, let's assume for a moment that Cardale's presence does have that much more of an impact.  We know he's not nearly as much of a running threat as the other two.  And until I see Braxton do more than lob a ball 20-30 yards, I'm going to assume the two quarterbacks involved would be Cardale and J.T.

If we're going to be open-minded to the concept of a two quarterback system, why not use Cardale and the long ball threat he provides when there's plenty of field to stretch?  Then put J.T. in as the field shortens up and defenses don't have a need to over-compensate for the bomb.  Unlike the Leak/Tebow combination, J.T. wouldn't be limited to only goal-line and short-yardage situations (just short-er yardage)

J.T.'s ability as a runner would then clearly come more in to play.  From what I've read he also has a better handle on the offense as a whole.  Not only would that enable him to make quicker 'give or keep' decisions in the option - but windows in the passing game naturally open and close faster when there's less ground for defenders to cover, also.  Besides his advantage with reads, he may be a touch more accurate with the quick, short stuff than Cardale as well.

We could have one quarterback for when we're in our own territory and another for when we're inside the forty or fifty.  J.T. threw the ball fifty-nine yards in the quarterback exhibition at half-time of the spring game, incidentally.  He has enough arm for this concept to work.

It wouldn't be exactly what Urbz did with Leak and Tebow at Florida, but so what?  The key point is that, to whatever degree, Urbz has proven in the past he can make a two qb system work.  And if it could be made to work, imagine the additional stress it would place on opposing defenses.

The down-side?  History shows us it's usually better to just pick a quarterback and stay with him in nearly every situation.  Another reason it might not work is practice time.  Not only would the first team reps be split between the two qbs - but remember, the offense was adjusted to accomodate Cardale after J.T. went down. 

Everybody would be practicing two different offenses - not just the quarterbacks.  Only slightly different offenses.  But with the limits on practice time these days, any difference could be a problem.

Oh - and I can see the "beating a dead horse" comments coming.  But this is happily not about the upcoming position battle.  It's more of a conceptual question to ponder during the intolerable off-season -

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 52 Comments