Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

What Really Grinds My Gears: A 2015 Post-Playoff Rant

0 HS
Brutus Forever's picture
January 28, 2015 at 2:29pm
40 Comments

Despite being a member for over a year, this is my first forum post, and it is a rant for the ages. Most of this rant stems from the articles and comments I have read on ESPN following the playoff. This rant is not directed at most college football fans in the America. They were congratulatory and amazed that OSU went the distance despite the numerous setbacks this truly great TEAM faced this season. With that said, do you know what really grinds my gears?

1. TCU Fans. Let me get this straight: TCU beats up on perennial SEC juggernaut Ole Miss (that ended up losing 4 of its last six, including a win over the mighty Presbyterian Blue Hose), so they deserve a crack at OSU, the first undisputed national champs? And what exactly made you come to that conclusion? 

Was it that OSU took Wisconsin to the woodshed en route to a 59-0 spanking in the B1G championship game? Or was it that OSU beat Alabama, who won 3 of the 4 previous national championships to that point? Maybe it was when OSU smacked the Ducks around in the national championship, making it three consecutive victories over the top three Heisman finalists?

Oh that's right, TCU > OSU because TCU beat Minnesota worse than OSU did. Never mind that it was a home game for TCU in nice weather, and an away game for OSU in 15 degree snowy weather.  Since most TCU fans just started watching football this year, observe that Oregon beat MSU worse than OSU did, but OSU dominated Oregon. And why should OSU have to "earn" a spot to play TCU after running through the #1 and #2 teams? I think that should be the other way around. If OSU meets TCU in the playoff next year, all of this talk will come back to haunt you as Urban is the master motivator and this OSU team is hungry and thrives off of being underdogs. If not next year, OSU will face TCU in a home-and-home.

2. SEC Fans. Despite college football comprising 90% of the culture in the south, most SEC fans are ignorant of how to recognize a great team from any conference but their own. OSU beats Alabama? "That was a fluke. Bama wins 9/10 of those. We lost because Kiffin quit running Henry." They ran him all game, maybe a little less in the second half, but he was used a lot. Second, it didn't "take an SEC coach for OSU to win". No, Urban is from Ohio, he coached around the country including UF, but his offensive and defensive philosophies and strategies were more or less already in place when he arrived at Florida.

Next, on to the question of conference superiority. The claim is that the SEC is the strongest conference from top to bottom. I disagree. The top teams in the B1G are better than the top teams in the SEC. Not only did the B1G East own bowl season, but the "mighty" SEC west went 2-5 in bowl games. According to ESPN's Chris Low, this was due to the inherent difficulty of the SEC conference play; ignoring the preseason ranking bias that got all of the SEC west teams highly ranked in the first place, Bama, Auburn, Ole Miss, etc. all lost in the postseason due to the regular season SEC grind! How long is it from the conference championship game until the bowl season again? All of this sounds like excuses for the SEC's shortcomings on the biggest stages this bowl season.

3. Art "Cry Baby" Briles. Look man, your SOS is a joke and an 8-4 vote for OSU to Baylor was determined to be mathematically impossible by those "in the know", i.e. the CFP committee. So why are you still crying about the playoff "snub"? Do you honestly think Baylor would have beaten Alabama or Oregon? Baylor is "a poor man's Oregon" (as put by a poster here on 11W, FanSince77, and I agree) with a flashy offense and no defense as evidenced by their late game 21-point meltdown vs. MSU. A championship-caliber team does not give up a 21-point lead that late in the game, period. If he has a problem with the CFP selection, he and other big12 coaches need to get their commissioner on board with expanding the conference so that they can have a CCG.

But do not fret TCU, SEC, and Baylor fans: OSU will be back next year and better than ever. They will be ready. Will your team?

Peter Griffin

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 40 Comments