Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Blast From the Past: Tostitos Fiesta Bowl 1-3-2003

Matt Gutridge's picture
January 4, 2015 at 11:01am
7 Comments

Apologies to those who read this yesterday before it went to Blog Heaven.

Ohio State played two games on this date. This article will focus on the 2003 Fiesta Bowl.

1-3-2003 / Fiesta Bowl / Tempe, AZ
  1st 2nd 3rd 4th OT Final
No. 2 Ohio State 0 14 3 0 14 31
No. 1 Miami 7 0 7 3 7 24

Fiesta Bowl

BACKGROUND
The Buckeyes entered this game with a 13-0 record and were coming off of a 14-9 victory over That Team who was ranked No. 12. The 2002 season was full of close games. Ohio State won six regular season games by 7 points or less. The most dramatic coming against Purdue in West Laffayette when Krenzel and Jenkins connected for a touchdown on fourth down late in the 4th quarter.

Miami had a roster full of future NFL players and NFL swagger. The Hurricanes were led on offense by quarterback Ken Dorsey, running back Willis McGahee, wide receiver Andre Johnson and tight end Kellen Winslow. The Hurricanes entered the championship game with a 34 game winning streak.

The Hurricanes defeated four ranked teams in the regular season. No. 6 Florida was the highest ranked team that Miami played in the regular season. The Hurricanes defeated the Gators 41-16 in week 2. The closest Miami came to losing in the regular season was a 28-27 win over No. 9 Florida State in the Orange Bowl on October 12.

Maurice Clarett made several game changing plays including the game winning touchdown.

Maurice Clarett made several game changing plays including the game winning touchdown.

2014 OHIO STATE MEDIA GUIDE

“Ohio State worked two overtimes to rip the national championship from the Miami Hurricanes in one of the greatest college football games ever. Maurice Clarett ran 5 yards for the winning touchdown, and Ohio State’s defense turned back one final Miami bid to tie the game. With that, the Buckeyes completed an unbeaten run to their first national title in 34 years with a 31-24 win.

The Buckeyes took a 14-7 halftime lead, turning two turnovers into touchdowns in a 78-second span, and extended the margin to 10 points on Mike Nugent’s 44-yard field goal. The Hurricanes closed to 17-14 on Willis McGahee’s 9-yard scoring run in the third quarter to set the stage for Todd Sievers’ 40-yard kick at the end of regulation.

Cie Grant throwing Dorsey to the ground to end the game.

Cie Grant throwing Dorsey to the ground to end the game.

Trailing 24-17 in the first OT, Ohio State converted a 4th-and-14 on a pass by Craig Krenzel. But the Buckeyes then faced a 4th-and-3 at the 5 when Krenzel threw to the right corner of the end zone for Chris Gamble. A flag was thrown from the back of the end zone indicating pass interference and three plays later Krenzel scored from the 1 to send the game to a second OT. In the second OT, the Buckeyes went first and Clarett capped the five-play drive.”

Chris Gamble averaged 34.5 yards per reception and played stellar defense.

Chris Gamble averaged 34.5 yards per reception and played stellar defense.

OHIO STATE PLAYERS

• Maurice Clarett rushed for 47 yards (2.0 ypc) and 2 touchdowns.
  • Craig Krenzel completed 7/21 passes for 122 yards and 2 interceptions. Krenzel had a game-high 81 yards rushing.
  • Michael Jenkins had 45 yards receiving (11.3 ypr).
  • Chris Gamble had a team-high 69 yards receiving (34.5 ypr).

McGahee's knee injury changed the course of the game.

McGahee's knee injury changed the course of the game.

MIAMI PLAYERS

• Ken Dorsey completed 28/43 passes for 296 yards, 2 touchdowns and 2 interceptions.
  • Willis McGahee had 61 yards rushing (3.4 ypr) and a touchdown.
  • Kellen Winslow had a game high 122 yards receiving (11.1 ypr) and a touchdown.
  • Roscoe Parrish was the next leading receiver with 70 yards (14.0 ypr) and a touchdown.

KEY PLAYS

1. Maurice Clarett stripping Sean Taylor after Taylor intercepted a Craig Krenzel pass in the red zone.
  2. Chris Gamble not getting the holding call late in the fourth quarter.
  3. Chris Gamble getting the pass interference call in OT.
Holding.

THE REST OF THE STORY
Jim Tressel would lead Ohio State to back-to-back BCS Championship games in the 2006 and 2007 seasons. January 12th will be Ohio State's first title game since the 2008 BCS Championship Game. Hopefully the Buckeyes will win their second title in my lifetime.

QUOTABLE

Miami fullback Quadtrine Hill talking about the loss. From espn.com:

"It feels unreal,'' Miami fullback Quadtrine Hill said. "After the game was over, it felt like we had one play left. It can't be over. It's something I never want to feel again.''

Fortunately for Hill, he never had to feel that way again because Miami has sniffed a title game since the loss in the desert.

Chris Gamble and his thoughts on the pass interference call in overtime. From espn.com:

"He was holding me. He was in my facemask and my shoulder pads,'' Gamble said. "I was waiting for the flag, but he kind of hesitated. I didn't see him going for the flag and I thought, `He ain't going to throw it.' Luckily, he did, and I'm like, `whew.'”

Ohio State on 1-3
Year Location Score Ohio State's Rank Opponent
2003 Fiesta Bowl 31-24 (2 OT) No. 2 No. 1 Miami
2014 Orange Bowl 35-40 No. 7 No. 12 Clemson

Ohio State's 2002 Schedule
Opponent Location Score
Texas Tech H 45-21
Kent State H 51-17
No. 10 Washington State H 25-7
Cincinnati N 23-19
Indiana H 45-17
Northwestern A 27-16
San Jose State H 50-7
Wisconsin A 19-14
No. 18 Penn State  H 13-7
No. 23 Minnesota H 34-3
Purdue A 10-6
Illinois A 23-16 (OT)
No. 12 That Team H 14-9
No. 1 Miami Fiesta Bowl 31-24 (2 OT)

Totals 14-0 410-183 (29-13)

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 7 Comments