Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

A Classic Old Woody Hayes Joke

0 HS
buckeye phi's picture
December 24, 2014 at 3:56pm
8 Comments

To many of you this will not be new.  But in a recent exchange with 3MBUCKEYE, we decided it would be worth posting.  I originally heard this joke when Woody was still with us - so in order for it to work, one must suspend disbelieve and place yourself back in time.  To a time when Woody was still coaching his powerhouse teams - a time when Woody was revered -

Once upon a time, there was a big Ohio State football fan who was fortunate enough to have tickets for great seats in the Horseshoe to watch The Game.  That season the second-ranked TFUN was facing the number one ranked Buckeyes.  He was a very happy man as he approached the stadium.

Then he suddenly had a massive heart attack and died on the spot.  When he got to heaven he was not pleased - so he decided to give St Peter a piece of his mind.

"Why did you take me right before the biggest game in years", he asked.  "Couldn't you have just waited a few hours and taken me right after the game?"

"Don't worry about it", St Peter replied.  "We have something even better right here - follow me"

With a fair amount of doubt, our protagonist followed St Peter through the heavenly clouds until they came upon a huge, glittering horseshoe-shaped stadium in the sky.

"That is very nice", he said - still reluctantly.

Since there are no lines in heaven, they proceeded straight to their fifty-yard-line seats.  And then started to watch a scarlet and gray team warming up.

"OK - this is very impressive", he finally admitted.

Then he saw a gray-haired man wearing a black Ohio State baseball cap, a white short-sleeved shirt, black pants - and horn rimmed glasses.  The old fellow was hollering at the players, kicking them in the ass and tearing up yard-markers.

Our hero then turned to St Peter in total disbelief and exclaimed:  "It's one thing to take me right before The Game.  But to take Woody Hayes . . . "

To which St Peter replied:  "Relax.  That's not Woody Hayes.  That's God.  He just thinks he's Woody Hayes."

Again - to many of us that's just an ancient joke.  But for anyone who's never heard it, we hope you liked it -

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 8 Comments