Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Comparing Team Speed - it's not that simple

0 HS
buckeye phi's picture
December 17, 2014 at 6:43pm
41 Comments

I was involved in a conversation recently with some SEC people and as you might imagine, the subject of "team speed" came up.  They naturally assumed Alabama would be the all-around faster team in the up-coming game because they're in the SEC and we're in the B1G. 

I know that makes no sense - but people from that region apparently really believe that everty team in the SEC is automatically faster than every team in the B1G - including Ohio State.

Now - we know that's not true - but I'm having a real problem proving it.  I'm not one of those who believes a guy's time over forty yards in his 'underwear' is the absolute indicator of a player's "football speed" but for purposes of discussion, it's the only quantifiable measurement we have.  But I'm having no luck whatsoever finding any current figures on either team - or for pretty much anyone else, for that matter. 

I found some dated information on 11W for the Buckeyes - Bradley Roby was extremely fast, by the way - but not much else at the college level.  Of course, the recruiting sites have data on a lot of the guys - but by definition, that's from their high school days.

Incidentally, there's good info available on the fastest guys in the NFL.  For the all-time fastest players there's an interesting gap in the top 40 times between the era when they went to strictly electronic timing - and before.  Nobody's run under a 4.2 since the change to electronic timing only, by the way.

So - I'd be interested if anyone knows if and where that kind of information is available.  I have a feeling we could probably shut a lot of SEC acolytes up in the process.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 41 Comments