Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Buckeyes with a chance to emphasize the end of the SEC Reign of Terror

0 HS
BUCKEYE3M's picture
December 10, 2014 at 2:39pm
22 Comments

In the college football world, the SEC's run of 7 consecutive national championships was unquestionably a great feat.  However, that run is OVER.  It might be too early to see it now, and too early to really declare such a thing, but I think we will look back and see the shifting of the tidal waters as already being underway.

Consider that in the past 5 years, the SEC is just 1-3 in the Sugar Bowl, and Ohio State can push that blemish to 1-4 with another win in the SEC's beloved bowl game.  And, to make matters even better, the B1G will own 3 of those titles.  (Ironically, their only win will be held by a B1G coach, to boot.)

The SEC is propping itself up right now on the historical success of those 7 consecutive championships.  But, if you look beyond that, they're not scheduling well out of conference, and the only quantifiable measurement that they can use for their "dominance" is how good they are INSIDE of their conference. In the BCS era, the positioning of 4 teams in the Top 10 from the start, all but guaranteed the SEC would compete for the NC.  It didn't even matter who it was, whichever team survived the gauntlet would finish on top. (And, I give them full credit for handling their business at gametime.)  Effectively, SEC greatness was a self-fulfilling prophecy.  I'm great because I beat you, and you're great because you beat them, and they're great because they beat them, who only lost to me, who's great, so that's why I'm great!

Mark my words, on January 2nd, America will see the SEC much differently with losses in 3 of the New Year's Six bowl games hanging on their record.

GO BUCKS!

EDIT: When I said "OVER", I meant that they are already off of their pedestal, and will not win multiple national championships in the coming years. I think Ohio State is poised for one or two, as are Oregon and Florida State.  Essentially, we're past the turning point and balance is being restored to the college football universe.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 22 Comments