Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

How it happens.

0 HS
GlueFingers Lavelli's picture
November 9, 2014 at 1:36am
25 Comments

How Ohio State gets into the college football playoff.

Take care of business and make a statement. We have to continue to shine, and Barrett has to keep rolling. I think we can do it, but we need help cracking the top 4. So where does it come from?

#1 Mississippi State-  @Alabama, Vandy, @ Ole Miss.   The common logic is that we need everyone ahead of us to win, but I feel like an undefeated Bulldog team keeps another SEC team out of the playoff. Still a ton of ball to play, but I think Miss State winning out benefits us by eliminating the talk of another SEC team getting in.

#2 Florida State- @ Miami, Boston College, Florida.  It's possible for the Noles to drop a game before facing Duke in the ACC title game, but I wouldn't count on it. If Florida played like they did against Georgia anything is possible. They look vulnerable this season, but like great teams do, they find a way to win similar to the 2002 Buckeyes.... minus the tard QB, and coach.  I'm torn on FSU' results. I feel like if they drop a single game, that they will remain ahead of Ohio State, so is it better for the Buckeyes that FSU win out? Most would say they need to lose, but I think it may hurt us unless they drop 2 games which is highly unlikely. I would love to see tOSU jump a one loss FSU, but I feel like the committee would rather take in a one loss defending National Champ opposed to Ohio State with a bad loss. We shall see.

#3 Oregon- Colorado, @ Oregon State.  Hard to see the Ducks dropping another game unless its to ASU in the Pac12 CCG. As I type this Utah scores to get within 3 points!  A Utah upset would change everything, as we would root for Oregon to go on to upset ASU and essentially eliminate the Pac12 from the playoff with all teams having 2 or more losses.  Ducks look primed to walk into the playoff.... GO UTES!

#4 Alabama- Miss State, Western Carolina, Auburn.  Anything is possible here. Saban is a great coach and will always have his team ready to compete. I feel like they will beat Miss State after the Bulldogs come off playing an FCS opponent. I also feel like Alabama suffers the same fate and loses to Auburn to finish the season with 2 losses.

#6 TCU- @Kansas, @Texas, Iowa State.  Hard to see a loss here. Texas could give them a game, but if you have watched TCU you know they are very good. They blew a large 4th qtr lead to Baylor to lose by a last second FG. They look dominant at times. I don't think they lose another game, and I'm not sure the lack of a CCG hurts them badly.

#7 Arizona State- @Oregon State, Wazzu, @ Arizona.  Certainly possible for the Sun Devils to drop one before their CCG. They took care of Notre Dame which helps Ohio State, but ideally we would need them to drop a game before facing Oregon, and upsetting them.

#8 Baylor- Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Kansas State.  Another hurdle for Ohio State. TCU is in control of their own destiny and has a favorable schedule. If Baylor doesn't lose we may be in trouble. Let's pray for someone to upset them.

#9 Ohio State- @Minnesota, Indiana, Michigan.  Looking primed to get to Indy and face Nebraska or Wisconsin. I hate saying it, but style points may matter here if we want to leapfrog another 1 loss team. Just win baby.

#10 Ole Miss- @ Arkansas, Mississippi State.  An upset over Miss State would be huge and hurt the SEC. IMO the Rebels season ended in one play last week. Now we need them to pull off an upset.

#11 Nebraska- @Wisconsin, Minnesota, @Iowa.  Nebraska winning out until we face them is obviously something we need. Facing a one loss opponent helps us greatly. Let's hope it happens.

#12 Auburn- @Georgia, Samford, @Alabama.  They should drop lower but won't and we all know why. Lets just be happy the Aggies did us a huge favor and eliminated a dangerous team that can still win games to help us. Beat Alabama, you have one job.

#13 Michigan State- Nothing they can do. 2 losses and they are done. It would help us a little if they win out, but they are done. We came into their house, walked on their carpet with out dirty shoes on, and left a smelly upper decker in the toilet for them after eating all the food. Eat it Sparty.

#14-25 all have 2 or more losses.

We need some help, but we have seen this play out before. The most amazing scenario would be if somehow all the SEC teams ended up with 2+ losses. It is still possible, but doubtful. Imagine a Playoff with FSU, Oregon, TCU, and Ohio State...... man that sounds good.

I'm open to criticism on my theory of how we get to #4. please let me know where I'm wrong or another scenario where we need something else to happen. Go Bucks!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 25 Comments