Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Fantasy Island

0 HS
GVerrilli92's picture
October 20, 2014 at 3:00pm
24 Comments

Feelings of excitement due to our offensive efficiency and JT's continued growth are coupled with strong feelings of reluctancy and negative premonition. But I'm a glass half-full kinda guy, and it honestly takes all of the fun out of college sports if you don't indulge in the Kool-Aid every now and then. 

So, Michigan State. They do this thing where they like to try to have good defense and stuff, and it works. The only thing is, and everybody knows this, they're are an imposing D. They aren't going to make adjustments based on the other side, they're going to attack and try to dictate pace when they don't have the ball. They rely on their athleticism on the edge to create winnable one-on-one matchups against wide or deep throws. This, in my opinion, was a concept they came up with (with Wisconsin's help) made for the sole purpose of beating and confusing Braxton Miller. It's self-righteous as a fan to say that another team designed their entire defense around stopping one player, but that player was Braxton, and MSU had the corners to make it their base. That's all deep in the past now.

So I'll compensate for my conceitedness as a fan and compliment the MSU D in this way: It is obvious as hell to me that Urban has now designed his entire offense to beat one defense - that other team up north. Visions of failed counter treys and QB leads from last year's CCG keep me awake at night, but this offense is quickly creating film to replace all of that negative space in my brain. THE POINT IN THIS ALL: we are a 5 wide offense now. And I'm chugging the Kool-Aid.

Not only do we have about a bajillion concepts out of empty set packages, our packages are diverse and versatile. **While the Adam West in me whispers, "That sounds sexy."** We have two very capable H-backs that can come out in the slot and catch passes or run inside - that did not exist last year. We also have two starting TEs, that are really the keys to this car. You can very clearly see what Herman and Meyer are trying to accomplish. With the same 5 skill players: Wilson, Marshall, Vannett, Heurman and Smith/Spencer we can line up in any formation in our playbook. Let me explain the beauty of this.

When you don't have to substitute personnel to go from a 5 wide look to a 21 personnel, you have something very, very special. In 20 seconds we can run two plays that are conceptually as different from each other as possible, but with the same people. Another advantage: the up-tempo offense allows us to switch formations and motion personnel to counter the defensive look. The reason Herman's so confident doing this is because we have the best TE unit in the country. When you have two guys that can legitimately flex out and test the seam, but also come in tight and be a force in the ZR, there's no limit to the playcall or the pace at which the offense can operate.

We always have to play the game, because there's this thing called situational psychology, which makes otherwise great players suck for 4 quarters (miss you Troy). But I actually have complete faith in this team for the first time, because of how multiple the offense is. I hate to say this but we are actually a match-up nightmare schematically for the Spartans. If JT can keep his composure, we have the offense built to beat them now. The VaTech loss resulted in Meyer throwing out Braxton's playbook, you know, the one the team used the entire preseason to learn, and now The offense is truly JT's. The only question is, will MSU have an answer for the 5 wide look? 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 24 Comments