Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

OSU vs. Maryland

0 HS
Large Father's picture
October 2, 2014 at 9:57pm
5 Comments

Tressels, Fickells and Urbans,

It felt strange even typing the subject of this post.  This is the 13th year of this weekly in-season tradition for me.  I've typed "OSU vs. Illinois" since Maurice Hall scored the game winner in overtime.  I've typed "OSU vs. Purdue" since Holy Buckeye.  I've typed "OSU vs. Michigan" since Will Allen intercepted Chad Henne at the goal line.  I've typed "OSU vs. Penn State" since Chris Gamble weaved to score the game's only touchdown.  Even typing "OSU vs. Nebraska" has become a fairly traditional occurrence...and was a welcome addition with Nebraska as one of college football's historical programs.

But, it feels really awkward typing "OSU vs. Maryland."  The only thing I know about Maryland is that their uniforms are ugly...and they have a lot of variation...but, all ugly just the same.

Welcome to the Big Ten season?  It feels as if this is an extension of the out of conference schedule.  Ohio State's first conference game will be just before Halloween against Penn State.  It's the longest ramp up to the Big Ten season ever encountered.  I keep thinking Ohio State has a two-year home-and-home series with Maryland; Maryland will return the trip to Ohio Stadium next season.  But, considering Ohio State has played football for 125 years, I'm assuming this series will last at least that long into the future.  I wonder if Maryland will look back years from now at team photos and think "what was I wearing?"  Or, if they look at back now from the game last week and think "what was I wearing?"

The longest out of conference schedule ever and ugly uniforms aside, this is a conference game and can't be taken lightly.  It counts in the record book and plays a part in determining who plays in the Big Ten championship game.

As we enter conference play, will the real slim shady please stand up?  What Ohio State offense is the genuine article?  The one that gave up 6 sacks in the fourth quarter alone to a Virginia Tech team that lost its next two games to East Carolina and Georgia Tech?  Or the offense that had 45 first downs (an FBS record) and 710 total yards against UC?  (...and should have finished with an all-time record 730 yards if not for an errant snap with the subs in for the final plays of the game.)

Unfortunately, we know the real Ohio State pass defense.  They were unable to get off the field on 3rd down against Virginia Tech...and gave up three big plays to UC letting them back in the game.  It looks as if the pass defense this season my be moderately better, but still an issue.  It will make games very interesting...

Even so, if the offense can consistently play at the tempo they demonstrated against UC (101 plays) and keep the same playbook (misdirection, deceptive, quick release to talented play makers, solid offensive line play/unity, grinding with Ezekiel, etc), then the defense can remain a weak link and Ohio State has the ability to still outscore opponents.  

I hope the offensive play we saw against UC is sustainable as we enter conference play.  If paired with a defense that improves and negates the big pass plays, then we could be in for a great conference ride...even if it is against teams that we know little about other than their uniforms.  

Touchdowns:  Zeke Elliot, Zeke Elliot, Dontre Wilson, Dontre, Dontre, Michael Thomas, Jeff Heuerman

OSU 52 Maryland 49 

Go Bucks!  Beat Maryland!  Michael Bennett for Heisman! 

Fleshy Father

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 5 Comments