Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Linebackers in pass coverage

0 HS
johnblairgobucks's picture
September 11, 2014 at 6:46pm
14 Comments

Has been a problem.  It has been an obvious problem to me since watching Storm Klien trying to chase his man 60+ yards into the Buckeyes end zone vs Indiana almost 2 full years ago.  Is the trouble OSU's linebackers face in pass coverage something we can expect to get better as the season goes on or is it a handicap that the team is just going to have to deal with and maybe change passing down schemes?

we are talking about 2 senior linebackers that have seemingly always struggled in pass coverage, so the thought that their coverage instincts will improve in the next 3 months is highly unlikely.  As noted by other posters, maybe we should sub in a safety for the linebackers during passing downs, but here is the problem when facing teams like Indiana, Michigan State, Penn State and Michigan (they did it over and over in last year's game) who will have the ability to throw on 2nd and 5 or less what do they do?  

When OSU has 2 linebackers that can can really only play 1/2 of their position responsibilities well, do they really have 2 good linebackers? Can we find out what Reakwon can do, if he never sees the field?  Spielman, Hawk and Lauriniatis all played as freshman and held their own.  Coaches are going to have to have confidence in the kids they recruit.  did Urban fly his private jet down to Georgia a couple of times and spend countless minutes on the phone with Reakwon to get him up to Columbus so he could watch from the sideline?

the defense is giving up 22 points a game so far, and Urban wants it at 7 (so he says, I'm sure the team does, and we fans do).  Sure Spence playing will help, and playing Kent will help, but after Kent, where is the improvement going to take place?  Seems obvious to me that pass coverage from the middle of the defense is the one area most in need of an upgrade.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 14 Comments