Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

How Dan Marino beat the famous bears 4-6 Defense...

0 HS
PeachStateBuckeye's picture
September 9, 2014 at 1:44pm
17 Comments

So while Marino is one of the greatest QBs of all time and had one of the quickest releases, perhaps Meyer and company can at least watch that Monday night NFL film to at least get some good ideas for the next team who tries this 46 D against them  Yes from 1985 but that was the best defense I've ever seen and what did they run?  46 defense....exactly what Va Tech did.  

My mind went immediately to this game once I began watching our game unfold. The bears crushed everyone that year except Miami.  So how did Miami beat them?

obviously we do not have the "Mark brothers" on the edges but those dolphins did several, simple things.  They took their TE out and brought in that 3rd WR all game.  They also rolled Marino out a lot for quick hitters to give him that extra second to hit shorter routes and even mid range routes.....again......all game long.  And Marino NEVER ran! The bears blitzed every down practically.  Our 3rd WR and 4th WRs could have easily ran quick patterns out-running whoever was on them (5 yd outs/curls, etc).  A quick "enough" delivery from Barrett, on rollouts, would have slowly eaten them alive (whether covered by a LB, Safety or nickel).  Constant rolls right and rolls left by our QB nullifies, to a degree, those blitzes. Wouldn't be perfect but we could have been more effective with this one tactic/adjustment. Obviously we needed WRs to step up on the edges with occasional shots down field.  Maybe our rollout quick hitters loosens up coverage on a few shots down field. they wouldn't have had to grab longer, less accurate passes nearly as often.  

Now completing these short passes Barrett gets confidence. WRs get confidence. Leaving rod smith (our best RB blocker) in the game almost 100% of the time gives Barrett just that little bit more time. V Tech now has to adjust their D.  Now our ball control game helps our defense with rest and takes away 1-2 possessions.  

Defensively?  Short term result = Buckeye win so Defensive deficienices masked "enough".  Long term OSU needs new LB coach.

buckeyes will face similar from MSU and I suspect many others now!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 17 Comments