Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

An unbiased (attempted) discussion on Coaching

0 HS
OSU_undergrad's picture
September 7, 2014 at 1:24pm
8 Comments

Please give me your thoughts, but I honestly don't have faith in this coaching staff at this point. First, youth is not an excuse anymore because we are OSU, and we are expected to win (especially with the top 5 classes handpicked by Urban Meyer and this staff). Second, our coaches get paid a lot more than any of Tressel's coaches did and right now they don't look like they can call plays or develop talent. Finally, to the people who say we have a good record so far, yes we do. But against who exactly? I can't remember the last time we beat a quality opponent...beating the snot out of Purdue or Indiana (which even that really hasn't happened) or a depleted Penn State does not count. When I watch games I see a bunch of guys on both sides of the ball missing easy plays (dropped TDs, missed FG, missed blocks, broken coverage, broken tackles) and just pure bad play calling. For example, why are we calling deep development WR routes when our QB is a freshman with a crap o line? Who thinks that will work well? Yesterday the slants were working all game and we kept straying away, and we only called one screen against heavy blitz all game. And while the o line is bad, Ed Warriner is the only coach I can cut some slack on (besides Chris Ash who is still an unknown commodity) because the o line has been stellar until this year. I ask those who are making excuses to answer this question: Why are we paying millions of dollars to these coaches? What have they brought us win wise that we didn't have for Tressel's much cheaper team? At OSU, in a crap conference, I expect us to win big games and contend for national titles.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 8 Comments