Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

I have a lot of ties to this Virginia Tech game/series.

OscarSierraUniform's picture
August 31, 2014 at 11:55am
12 Comments

In 1993, I transferred with the company I worked for then to the Roanoke/Blacksburg area.  Over the span of 8 years there, I made friends with many Hokies.  When I couldn't make it back to Columbus for a Buckeye game, you would find me usually in Lane Stadium to watch a Tech game or up in Charlottesville to catch a UVa game (as long as it didn't interfere with a televised Buckeye game).  Many of the friendships I made down there are still close to me to this day.

When this game was scheduled about 10 years ago, my phone rang off the hook with my Hokie friends on the other side of the call.  Of course, there was and still is, a lot of fun "ribbing" between myself and and my Hokie pals.  This OOC game has taken on a little more meaning for me than most other OOC games. I have 2 close Hokie friends staying at our house in Grove City next weekend for this game.  Needless to say, I do not want to wake up Sunday morning having to listen to any crap. 

As an Ohio State alumnus and fan, I approach this game with almost as much fervor as the Michigan game.  I absolutely do not want our Buckeyes to lose any game.  But this game, I do not want to hear any of my Hokie pokies for the next year taking pot shots at our Buckeyes or myself.

Anyone else in this situation or have been in a similar situation?

MichaelJ721984's picture

Not with Va Tech but I had a girlfriend who was from Texas and a huge Horns fan during the two times we played em. She gave me all kinds of shit after they beat us in CBus but the favor was promptly returned when Troy and the boys throttled em at their place. 

At least your friends staying over arent Michigan fans. Youd have to burn the entire house down while they were in it...  I mean once they left. lol

GO BUCKS! 

+2 HS

Michigan grads and fans are banned from my house during football season! 

See ball, get ball.

+2 HS
MichaelJ721984's picture

You are a gentleman and a scholar. 

+2 HS
dubjayfootball90's picture

Haha, good luck man. Buckeyes should play well, but ther matchup I am looking forward to is our D-line vs their O-line. Should be one hell of a battle.

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.

+1 HS
BuckeyeFanInBoulder's picture

I lived in Austin during the Texas series.  My girlfriend was in grad school there.  My parents got the tickets for the game in Columbus but I went with her to the game in Austin.  It was a bit strange because we had UT season tickets and I always rooted for the Horns cordially except for that game.  It was really great to see us get the win on the road.

As an aside, I'm really excited to see a solid OOC home & home series like this one again.  Cal and Miami were nice but this one seems a bit more interesting.  Having Oregon, Oklahoma and Texas in the coming years is a step in the right direction.  I would love to see a series with Georgia, Clemson, Stanford, and that caliber continuing into the future.

+2 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

Anyone else in this situation or have been in a similar situation?

My first wife and I started dating in the winter of '89. She is an Auburn alum. That was not my favorite New Year's day.

+1 HS

I wonder if Auburn fans remember who Zach Dumas is....that was a MONSTER hit.  One I will never forget.

See ball, get ball.

+2 HS
William's picture

I have a cousin that works for VT's Transportation Institute, and one of my buddies from high school is in the Army ROTC program at Virginia Tech, so there will be plenty of smack-talking this weekend. 

+1 HS
airbuckeye's picture

Yes i have a Nephew that goes to VT and is a hugh Tech Fan and he is already starting to talk smack to my Mother and she just send him 4 boxs of tissue's with a note saying hope this is enough to dry the tears next Staurday night LOL I loved it and he should get them by Tuesday.

+1 HS
va_buck's picture

I'll be driving a couple of VT fans up to the game with me, so it goes without saying I want the backseat to be quiet on Sunday when we drive back.

VA_Buck

BuckeyeChief's picture

Obviously there are a ton of VA Tech fans were I live, so I see them all over. I do remember thinking of them as a small time program about 13 years ago (the BCS game being a blip) and trying to buy tickets mid-season. Boy was that dumb!

"Damn I miss El Guapo"

TURD_BUCKET's picture

I lived in Texas for a very long time and never met a UT fan outside of Austin until Mack Brown got there. Then they came out of the woodwork. I bought a lot of beers in 2005 and then got wasted for free in 2006.

Also, Aggie fans are everywhere. Unlike UT fans, they are ALWAYS loud and proud, regardless of how well their football team is doing. Their four favorite four words ( similar to a Dallas Cowboy fan ) have always been "Wait till next year."  I enjoyed a 50 yard line seat surrounded by the Aggie faithful in the 1986 Cotton Bowl and again in the 1998 Sugar Bowl. They could never argue the fact that an Aggie team was better than OSU on any given year. I had 'em by the cookies on that debate every year. Luckily, I was not around Aggies the last 2 years after I relocated back to God's country in central Ohio, even though I still would have won any argument on which team was better.

Both UT and A&M are great places to watch a college football game, BTW.  UT has added 20,000 seats since I was last there ( 1996 Ricky Williams sophomore year ) and tickets are a lot harder to get nowdays, but Austin is great college town with lots to offer outside of football. The Aggies are now adding lots of seats thanks to the SEC connection and taking in a game there is special. The tradition of the Aggie corps, 12th man, standing the entire game, etc is pretty awesome. College Station kinda sucks, though., not much outside of the university. For someone who just likes college football, both places are pretty cool to watch a game.

“Being average means you are as close to the bottom as you are to the top.” John Wooden

+2 HS